Fun with weird outcomes of regulations

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
Going on an opposite bend - weird things that happen from regulations.

If I'm reading 61.111 correctly, if you train SEL at Beaver Island (KSJX) in the upper part of Lake Michigan, your cross-country requirement for private can be satisfied by flying to Welke (6Y8) 3nm away. And vice versa. You get a limitation on your certificate, but you could do your entire student flying and never land more 3 miles away.

Are there any other small islands where this can happen?

61.111 Cross-country flights: Pilots based on small islands.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, an applicant located on an island from which the cross-country flight training required in § 61.109 of this part cannot be accomplished without flying over water for more than 10 nautical miles from the nearest shoreline need not comply with the requirements of that section.

(b) If other airports that permit civil operations are available to which a flight may be made without flying over water for more than 10 nautical miles from the nearest shoreline, the applicant must show completion of two round-trip solo flights between those two airports that are farthest apart, including a landing at each airport on both flights.

(c) An applicant who complies with paragraph (a) or paragraph (b) of this section, and meets all requirements for the issuance of a private pilot certificate, except the cross-country training requirements of § 61.109 of this part, will be issued a pilot certificate with an endorsement containing the following limitation, “Passenger carrying prohibited on flights more than 10 nautical miles from (the appropriate island).” The limitation may be subsequently amended to include another island if the applicant complies with the requirements of paragraph (b) of this section for another island.

(d) Upon meeting the cross-country training requirements of § 61.109 of this part, the applicant may have the limitation in paragraph (c) of this section removed.

If I'm reading 61.111 correctly, if you train SEL at Beaver Island (KSJX) in the upper part of Lake Michigan, your cross-country requirement for private can be satisfied by flying to Welke (6Y8) 3nm away. And vice versa. You get a limitation on your certificate, but you could do your entire student flying and never land more 3 miles away.

You can reach the shoreline without flying more than 10nm over water.

Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 12.14.59 PM.png

Regardless, even if you found a more appropriate example, the outcome is not weird. It's by design.

that's an interesting scenario...I imagine that student pilot circling the island to climb high enough for that crossing....

When i was a student, one of the school's standard cross countries took us over the Chesapeake bay...looks like 14nm crossing New Point Comfort to the Cape Charles VOR. The school had a minimum altitude requirement but I can't recall what it was. Basically climbing from the airport enroute to New Point Comfort (had about 21nm or so to make the climb if straight line)... then if you could still see the other side you could go. I had to scrub my 1st attempt because of that.

GUAM (PGUM) would fit the bill. 3 Islands an a whole lot of ocean. (And yes they do have a flight school)

upload_2022-10-10_13-8-55.png

Back