Flight Club Info

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
I've been contacted about an infant flying club. I'm not sure they are being realistic on their costs. If they can buy an airplane for 26,500, they figure they can get by with a $4000 initial buy-in from 7 members and $1000/year from each member for fixed costs and maintenance.

Can you advise me what to budget?

Had to re-read your first sentence three times.

Monthly hangar x12 plus insurance ($2k to be conservative) plus GPS database subscription (if equipped) are the major "fixed" expenses.

Maintenance includes annuals, oil changes, tires and light bulbs, and an AMU once or twice a year to fix things.

Depending on the condition of the plane, members may want to make upgrades.

I'd say at least $2k/yr is more realistic.

I thought the first rule of Flight Club was that you didn’t talk about Flight Club

That's how I read it as well, and then got quite shocked by the "infant fight club".

We have 5 members with equal equity in the plane. $1800 fixed per year (tiedown only) plus $30 per tach hour ($15 mx, $15 OH fund)

I've been contacted about an infant flying club. I'm not sure they are being realistic on their costs. If they can buy an airplane for 26,500, they figure they can get by with a $4000 initial buy-in from 7 members and $1000/year from each member for fixed costs and maintenance.

Can you advise me what to budget?
What are the infants' goals? Career pilots, or just recreational?

Every club I’ve been in (including my current ownership stake one and one previous ownership stake), has cost about $150/mo for up to 12 members in fixed costs, then about $30/hr for the variable costs. Fuel is on the member.

Always winds up in a reasonable kitty to cover all costs pretty well.

Fixed covers hangar or tie down, insurance, and registration fees. Variable covers all maintenance, including engine replacement when the time comes.

Don’t forget ADS-B and some people’s bizarre obsession with current avionics.

Hey, guys, it looks like the club will get off the ground soon. Finding a plane within the budget is quite a challenge because it seems to be a seller's market. There are nearly enough potential members to pay the bills. Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know as soon as we are up to the 'toddler' stage.

We have 5 members with equal equity in the plane. $1800 fixed per year (tiedown only) plus $30 per tach hour ($15 mx, $15 OH fund)

4 people, $150 fixed/mo, $35/tach hour, pilot returns plane with fuel at the tabs. Works most years. Anything big comes up and we will pass the hat.

Back