Flamping... Sort of

Tony R

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Atrosa
I had this crazy idea but wanted to see if it was feasible. I love airplanes and I love camping, but what if I wanted to not pitch a tent and sleep in the plane. What plane would this be possible in? I'm a solo camper so I just need 6 feet of length for a sleeping pad and bag. Has anyone done this or does everyone just pitch a tent?

Also, Bonanza. Or whatever Piper it is that has club seating in the back if you’re one of the poors.

Last edited:
What plane would this be possible in?
"Landesaire" (PBY Catalina conversion).

I haven't done it myself, but it is common for Grumman Tiger/Cheetah/Traveler owners to sleep in their planes. The back seat folds down in those models opening up that space. The cargo/baggage area is about 40 inches wide at the front and about 30 inches wide at the back.

What about something like a Husky or Super Cub and you hang a hammock and sleep in that? it would be outside the plane, but still attached?

I've slept in both, Twin beech and DC3, neither let you have good rest, the C54/DC4 is much better, and you can bring more friends.

I recently read a post where a person did just that. With pictures too, I think it was the thread about what fun thing did you buy or do for your airplane.

I had this crazy idea but wanted to see if it was feasible. I love airplanes and I love camping, but what if I wanted to not pitch a tent and sleep in the plane. What plane would this be possible in? I'm a solo camper so I just need 6 feet of length for a sleeping pad and bag. Has anyone done this or does everyone just pitch a tent?
Maybe like a 172 or lot of other similar sized planes with the right and the rear seats removed. There’ll be some CG issues. You’d probably have to do a weighing and get that re calculated. You’ll end up with a little more payload.

My wife and I have done it fairly extensively in the C206. With the front seats forward we put luggage on the seats and have lots of room to sleep comfortably in the cabin. On our first Vermont to Alaska trip we spent almost every night of the five weeks sleeping in the plane after realizing that pitching a tent was a waste of time and that getting off the ground in a tightly sealed cabin was all around much more comfortable, especially in chilly conditions. At the time, FBOs were very accomodating and we had access to bathrooms and showers as well. It was actually fairly "luxurious" under the circumstances.

sleep.jpg

Other pictures of a second trip included in this link, which also describes an attempt I made to fly back to Alaska on straight floats in a PA12. Not that I actually ever needed it but I had configured the rear space to have available if I got stuck on a lake in the wilderness on the way, with the plan in that case to fill a duffel bag with rocks as an anchor, paddle out to the middle of the lake and sleep in the rear space until I could be rescued. The main concern in that case was bears coming out of hibernation. It wouldn't have been particularly comfortable, but that wasn't the point. ;)

IMG_0171.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG

I have slept in a 206 and a 207.

And not because I wanted to...

Weather kept me on the ground, and mosquitos kept me in the plane...

You also have a slight degree of protection from bears, or at least we liked to believe so. When you read about bear attacks on campers in their tents it's frightening - not that bears can't rip through aluminum fairly quickly but it might have given us time to grab the shotgun . . .

I have been, very slowly, building up the skills necessary to make a custom air mattress to fit into my Maule. Someday you will see a video of it. So far it's been a year since I started...

I have been, very slowly, building up the skills necessary to make a custom air mattress to fit into my Maule. Someday you will see a video of it. So far it's been a year since I started...

Whats taking so long, are ya fallin' asleep while working on it.?? :lol:

Whats taking so long, are ya fallin' asleep while working on it.?? :lol:
Anyone who has ever designed anything will understand that the process can be slowed down A LOT if the test step requires eight hours of sleeping on the prototype. :rofl:

they do custom mattresses as well as conventional sizes. I've used them for both my sleeper sofa and a custom for the queen bed.

they do custom mattresses as well as conventional sizes. I've used them for both my sleeper sofa and a custom for the queen bed.
Yes, but do they do them 2'3" at the head end, 2'8" in the middle and 14" in the toe box?
And 10" thicker at the head end than the toe end?
And with the bottom carved out halfway through the toe end to accommodate the battery?
And as an air mattress, rather than a heavy and space consuming foam one?IMG_9976 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, but do they do them 2'3" at the head end, 2'8" in the middle and 14" in the toe box?
And 10" thicker at the head end than the toe end?
And with the bottom carved out halfway through the toe end to accommodate the battery?
And as an air mattress, rather than a heavy and space consuming foam one?View attachment 128846
call them. be surprised what they’ll make

call them. be surprised what they’ll make
Already sent an inquiry on their web form. :)

No evidence they do air mattresses, but could be interesting to explore getting a foamy.

I’ve slept in my 180 several times. The 13 degree floor is just fine for sleeping.

Stinson L-5 ambulance…

Believe it or not the Vashon Ranger seats fold flat forward supposedly so you can sleep in it comfortably. I haven’t done it yet, but it might happen this year at Oshkosh if I don’t finish the Starduster in time.

Bristell aircraft can be ordered with a "sleeper sleeve" in the tail ...

What about something like a Husky or Super Cub and you hang a hammock and sleep in that? it would be outside the plane, but still attached?
Thing is, planes are bearproof -ish.

1715922237391.png

Piper J-5 ambulance version.
The "ambulance mod" is what gave me the idea of an emergency bunk in the PA-12 on floats, mentioned above. (PA-12 was originally designated J-5). Bears are scary if you're stuck all alone in the wildnerness.

At airports, like at a fly-in, I use a tent for some privacy, but when I'm in the wilderness (especially in bear country!) I feel much safer sleeping with no tent (or flimsy aircraft) around me to limit my vision or options. And sleeping outside the plane means I can get that all important first cup of coffee before I even get out of my sleeping bag... :)

1715947035521.png

Sleeping in the airplane is a great avionics anti-theft strategy too.

The Vashon Ranger is actually designed with this in mind. Saw it setup as a sleeping platform one Osh. From their website "Both seats fold forward 90 degrees for your weekend camping adventure, creating a space big enough to actually sleep in"

My wife and I have done it fairly extensively in the C206. With the front seats forward we put luggage on the seats and have lots of room to sleep comfortably in the cabin. On our first Vermont to Alaska trip we spent almost every night of the five weeks sleeping in the plane after realizing that pitching a tent was a waste of time and that getting off the ground in a tightly sealed cabin was all around much more comfortable, especially in chilly conditions. At the time, FBOs were very accomodating and we had access to bathrooms and showers as well. It was actually fairly "luxurious" under the circumstances.

View attachment 128819

Other pictures of a second trip included in this link, which also describes an attempt I made to fly back to Alaska on straight floats in a PA12. Not that I actually ever needed it but I had configured the rear space to have available if I got stuck on a lake in the wilderness on the way, with the plan in that case to fill a duffel bag with rocks as an anchor, paddle out to the middle of the lake and sleep in the rear space until I could be rescued. The main concern in that case was bears coming out of hibernation. It wouldn't have been particularly comfortable, but that wasn't the point. ;)

View attachment 128820

View attachment 128821

You are a camping ninja! Exactly what I was looking for.

Back