Enough jobs for the student pilot population?

There were approximately 70,000 student certificates issued last year, so the answer is no. How many of them are career wannabes we don’t know.

There are very few flying jobs that offer the money and QOL of a legacy airline job with a few years of seniority. Top tier corporate job, maybe, but those are very hard to get, and those can change in a heartbeat.
True.

That said, pipelines and electric power transmission companies employ a decent number of line patrol pilots, both fixed-wing and helicopter. The posts I've seen seem to indicate a low 6-digit salary range, and those companies tend to have good benefits and job security.

There were approximately 70,000 student certificates issued last year, so the answer is no. How many of them are career wannabes we don’t know.
A fair number of those are foreign students, headed back to their homeland as soon as they hit 1500 or whatever is required to drive an ATR into a mountainside.

Want a job flying for an airline, learn Spanish, Afrikaner, or Chinese.... not for use while you're working, more so to keep yourself from starving and getting around when you're not working.

A fair number of those are foreign students, headed back to their homeland as soon as they hit 1500 or whatever is required to drive an ATR into a mountainside.
Probably just as many are like myself where they get their Private or Instrument for personal use with no intention of going into commercial aviation.

I think no matter how you slice it, an airline career has a large element of chance to it. I was on the verge of a proto-airline career when 9/11 happened. I never made it to the airlines because I wasn't willing/able to make the sacrifices necessary to withstand the recovery period. Some people I know did make the sacrifices and now have the careers. Others I know had the careers and opted out anyway. I think it boils down to how much you are willing to do and how much you are willing to sacrifice to achieve your goal in the face of all the adversity that you will face along the way.

Watching this for my kids sake. 16 year old and 11 year old both want to be professional pilots. Plan is for my oldest to be private-instrument-commercial-cfi by age 18 with lots of time in our back yard bushplane. Hopefully getting paid to fly something as soon as age allows, and maybe start training his little sister. He's worried about the unknowns, but we'll do everything possible to support him along the way.

Forgive my occasional post-modernist bend, but control is an illusion. Plans are in the end, but a mere coping mechanism. 38 special had it right. I used to have it all drawn out, then the steerable wheels came off the proverbial bus. I've been "winging" it ever since, well since 2005 for sure. Username checkity-checks!

I know there's a lot of nostalgia for the "I wouldn't do a thing different", but I do have some regrets, and I would do some things differently in my life if I could do it over. I'm not inclined at this stage to steer my kid towards professional flying as a primary career. If he ever endemically shows interest in young adulthood, of course I'll guide him and give him the inside baseball gouge. So far he hasn't shown any interest in flying, in spite of my occupation and (well, until last year) recreational access to flying.

I'm sure his journey will be convoluted and imperfect, as mine has been. Which is to say, Human. And given my opening statement, that's ok. There but for the grace of god go we....

Probably just as many are like myself where they get their Private or Instrument for personal use with no intention of going into commercial aviation.
That's my story. I had an opportunity in 2000 to attend Flight Safety for a FO rating in a Leer, I think it was in the 35 but can't recall for sure.

I was halfway through a Federal career which was a great job with awesome benefits. I was flying photo chase in the back of QF-4S's out of Pt Mugu Ca and China Lake. Chasing Tomahawks, SLAM ER's, JSOW's on and on. Good times so I declined. Can't help but wonder where that would have gone had I accepted.

I retired almost 8 years ago now. I just beat my brains out going nowhere at 90kts in my C-150. I'm up about 950 hours now. And I paid for every hour of it. Had a break from 2004-2017 as I was traveling a lot for my job.

Friends I know who haul the line tell me flying used to be fun. Back when they had to pay for it :D

Pardon my ignorance. I am old enough and have a small enough ego that I don't care to be a wide body captain. I just want to fly instead of working.
I do however as a dad and husband to a self employed wife need benefits.

Are there part 135 jobs out there that are stable? The draw of the airlines that I see is days away from home seem fewer than the little guys. I am seeing 10 on 10 off, 15 on, 10 off, etc which is a no go.
Most of my friends at Envoy are more 4 on 3 off schedules plus all the benefits. I am not overly concerned about pay rate as I am unemployed now and so anything is better than nothing.

That said, is there a decent work life balance outside the airlines and is there a job board for aviation jobs? I saw one but they want you to pay to join.
I have just been on airline apps and directly on airline sites.

I have 1320 hours and I am doing 15-20 a week right now to try to get to 1500.
I'm hearing all the news about hiring slowing but I also see the retirement numbers for the next few years are still quite high if airlinepilotcentral is to be trusted.

If you don't like being away from home on overnights, then flying may not be for you.

Back