Engine out Emergency [Video]

Did you see how many people he could have killed? Better charge him with attempted manslaughter.. :rolleyes:

Did you see how many people he could have killed? Better charge him with attempted manslaughter.. :rolleyes:

Yea I am tired of seeing people going back and forth about that guy that landed on the beach.

He did a good job. Flaps would have helped once he knew he was not going to make the runway.

Boy am I glad that we now fly a plane that can out climb my glide.

Well done! 3rd Solo and 35 hours?... VERY Well Done! Calm, cool and collected. I love it that he's talking to tower on the rollout to the fence.

I love the "WTF" comment. Any of us who have experienced an Inflight emergency know that moment...

Can anyone explain better why the engine quit?

Your 1st emergency can tell you a lot about future "surprises." Handled very well & probably will next time.

Can anyone explain better why the engine quit?

He stated that the FAA determined that the fuel servo failed - the engine simply stopped getting fuel. Nothing he could have done about it.

I found it interesting that he said he had to climb to 900' on upwind because the plane in front of him did so...instead of "turning crosswind at the usual 500ft."

????

Kinda hard to be at pattern altitude before turning downwind that way unless one is flying a B52 pattern. Maybe there is something unique to this field that requires a lower crosswind turn but I was taught that one turns crosswind no more than 200' below pattern altitude.

Can't fault him on how he handled the failure though. Nice job for a student pilot.

:thumbsup:

I was taught that one turns crosswind no more than 200' below pattern altitude.

Although I should know, does the FAR/AIM have info on this?

I was taught to turn crosswind once both these conditions were met:

1.) At or beyond the end threshold of the runway, and
2.) At least 400agl

2.) At least 400agl

and I thought it was not before 300' below TPA

and I thought it was not before 300' below TPA

Actually 300' might be what I was taught instead of 200' (it's been awhile) and that would still allow you to be at pattern altitude by downwind. And, if the subject airport had an 800' pattern then the guy in the video could indeed turn crosswind at 500'. These days I always turn crosswind at TPA minus 200' and that way I'm easily at TPA before turning downwind.

2.) At least 400agl

I don't know that the FAR/AIM talks about when to turn crosswind but I'm confident that it talks about entering downwind at pattern altitude and how would this be accomplished if you turn crosswind at 400' when the pattern is 1000'?

Unless of course the infamous B-52 pattern is being flown! ;)

Last edited:
I found it interesting that he said he had to climb to 900' on upwind because the plane in front of him did so...instead of "turning crosswind at the usual 500ft."

Noise abatement at that airport prohibits turns below 700 AGL. 700 AGL very definitely does not require a B-52 pattern.

And his climb appeared slow to me. It's never hot there early in the morning. I wonder if his static RPM might have been a tad low.

Nice job on the golf course, though that fence saved him from a problematic result.

Ah. Got it. Heh.

Wonder what the one is called where there's really no base and final, just one curving descent from downwind to the runway.

If the fuel servo quit, why did the engine continue to idle? Hmmmm....

What a great job… especially considering it was only his 3rd solo. I only hope that I could do as well with 4 times the number of hours.

I couldn't really tell if it was idling or if that was just the sound of the engine turning over with the prop windmilling and generating zero power.

Make sure you try FULL THROTTLE. Sometimes fuel servos will fail but will default to full rich at full throttle. This guy probably was at full throttle. What kind of plane was it?

Great job really. He hit a fence but was almost stopped. Stayed upright.

You almost never declare an emergency. It just makes things worse, psychologically if nothing else. Just tell ATC whats happening and let them "declare" it. Actually they never usually say it either. They just give you emergency priority. Send them a thank you letter afterward.

Like I said great job and nice commentary. WAY TO GO GUY!!!

Great job by the pilot. I have 1 solo under my belt, and I would hope my training would kick in like his did. I hope I never have to find out.

It is very interesting to see how many people on the golf course were simply watching the plane land and not running away from it. He handled that like a champ.

I don't know if it's just the audio, but I didn't think that engine sounded too good on the take off roll and climb....

Ah. Got it. Heh.

Wonder what the one is called where there's really no base and final, just one curving descent from downwind to the runway.

How most pros fly a pattern.

Heck I've done a higher speed downwind into a decel 180 turn to come out on short final a vref (no pax).

I much prefer a curving pattern over a box pattern, seems glider guys gothat route too.

I don't know if it's just the audio, but I didn't think that engine sounded too good on the take off roll and climb....

Thought so too, but I have an O-300 so can't really compare. What amazed me is how long he sat there seemingly immobilized before making the turn. Felt like it took forever, not that I'd do any better.

Still, if he'd reacted sooner he'd have been higher and faster on roll out when he smacked the fence.

Back