Empty cargo planes roam the skies

Sweep flights were real when I retired. I expect they’re still used these days, for reasons previously mentioned. Easier and cheaper to start with an oversized aircraft(for the local market), and route it to allow drop-in coverage for several additional markets at a relatively small cost to benefit ratio.

We used to keep 2 aircraft and 2 crews at a Florida airport. Both aircraft were preflighted and ready to launch to carry very high value cargo back to the states each night. The standby crew never launched unless the primary aircraft was unable, or developed a mechanical enroute that would have prevented bringing the cargo back.

Great line if you could hold it.

I flew “sweep” flights for FedEx many times. The worst of them all was the KDEN-KMEM. You never knew where you would land. Most of the time you would end up sweeping into KDFW, although I once was sent to KSAN. A few times I flew empty all the way to KMEM after almost to KLAS!

I flew “sweep” flights for FedEx many times. The worst of them all was the KDEN-KMEM. You never knew where you would land. Most of the time you would end up sweeping into KDFW, although I once was sent to KSAN. A few times I flew empty all the way to KMEM after almost to KLAS!
...and no route short cuts!

Yeah, they sent me a bill for my PO box and then another even though I had mailed them payment (and they had cashed it). I complained via the website and they sent the inquiry to the wrong (next town over) PO which had a runaround trying to verify my identity because my name didn't match what they had on the box (right number, wrong zip).

Back