Can Part 141 schools accept BasicMed for solo?

MVM19

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
MV
Hi all -

I am in flight training at a Part 141 school, and I received a Special Issuance Class 3 medical early last year, to be renewed every year. However, the renewal has to be done by the FAA, and they are quite backlogged, so my medical is stuck in review for now. That said, I’d love to solo as I’m ready for it - so I was debating just going BasicMed. However, my Part 141 school said that the rules around Part 141 operations require a valid Class 3 Medical, not BasicMed, to solo.

I’ve tried to research the rules/regs on 141 flight school rules, but found conflicting information online - however, nothing I found was directly related to this topic. Does anyone have experience here and can shed some light? Many thanks In advance!

It depends on what their own rules say. I set one up, it was allowed. I’m gonna hazard a guess and say most do…

It’s not gonna be specified in the FARs.

Edit: read your post more carefully, honestly, they might not even know!

Read their SOP/TCO very carefully. If it just says you have to have a legal medical, you’re good to go. If it says you need a 3/c or better… then it is what it is..

Outside 141, their insurance could be an issue. Do they allow BasicMed for part 61?

It depends on what their own rules say. I set one up, it was allowed. I’m gonna hazard a guess and say most do…

It’s not gonna be specified in the FARs.

Edit: read your post more carefully, honestly, they might not even know!

Read their SOP/TCO very carefully. If it just says you have to have a legal medical, you’re good to go. If it says you need a 3/c or better… then it is what it is..

Outside 141, their insurance could be an issue. Do they allow BasicMed for part 61?
Thanks for the response! I’ll check out the SOPs/TCO, that’s a great idea and might be where this comes from.

I asked if it was an insurance thing, and they said no - just that it was a rule, but they weren’t 100% certain. I’ll dig in. They do allow BasicMed for Part 61.

The only two 141 ops I’ve talked to about this topic only accept an FAA medical certificate, not Basicmed. Their operating rules also clearly state an FAA Class II or Class I medical certificate for enrollment, Class III or better to continue.

Neither offers a part 61 program; both advertise offering GI Bill eligibility.

I went and dug up my old TCO for our 141 school. Our TCO predates Basic Med, and it did indeed require third class medical to be an applicant to our 141 Private Pilot course. Our TCO was a template from the Cessna Pilot Centers when that was a thing.

Item 2 on our CPC boilerplate is what is snagging you, and I suspect your school used the same thing or something very similar:

1707841241306.png

I bet what happened at your school is that they submitted their Private Pilot TCO to the FAA before Basic Med was even a thing. They will need to amend their course description Prerequisites to legally accept you for solo (and technically, for you to continue as a student)

It's a trivial paperwork shuffle that they should honestly do anyway. They might even thank you for leading the charge on something they should have done 6 or 7 years ago. Probably not though :D

$0.02

I’m not exactly sure but if your 3class is in limbo, you can’t go to basic med, How I understand the basic med guidelines is , you have to have or have had a 3rd class

Since your in FAA hell with special issuances, you may not be eligible for basic med until you get your 3rd class finalized.

I’m not exactly sure but if your 3class is in limbo, you can’t go to basic med, How I understand the basic med guidelines is , you have to have or have had a 3rd class

Since your in FAA hell with special issuances, you may not be eligible for basic med until you get your 3rd class finalized.

Well, he wrote:
I received a Special Issuance Class 3 medical early last year, to be renewed every year. However, the renewal has to be done by the FAA, and they are quite backlogged, so my medical is stuck in review for now.

It sounds to me like the SI renewal is held up, but he has held a class 3 that wasn't revoked. My guess is that he can do Basic, but it seems a bit gray.

Well, he wrote:

It sounds to me like the SI renewal is held up, but he has held a class 3 that wasn't revoked. My guess is that he can do Basic, but it seems a bit gray.

If submitted an application, the outcome of the renewal could jeopardize Basicmed. Had the OP just let it expire (not valid after date), Basicmed would not be in jeapordy..

Hi all -

I am in flight training at a Part 141 school, and I received a Special Issuance Class 3 medical early last year, to be renewed every year. However, the renewal has to be done by the FAA, and they are quite backlogged, so my medical is stuck in review for now. That said, I’d love to solo as I’m ready for it - so I was debating just going BasicMed. However, my Part 141 school said that the rules around Part 141 operations require a valid Class 3 Medical, not BasicMed, to solo.

I’ve tried to research the rules/regs on 141 flight school rules, but found conflicting information online - however, nothing I found was directly related to this topic. Does anyone have experience here and can shed some light? Many thanks In advance!
You can request to terminate your enrollment in the 141 program and complete the same identical training Part 61 at the same school if they will let you.

Back