Bloxham Safe-T-Stick

Spring Ford

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
SpringFord
"One other item available as an option was Bloxham “Safety Sticks”. This option allowed the instructor to disengage the student’s control stick if a student “froze” during the flight."

Interesting that this seems to have died out, sounds a decent idea? Very little on net, google [bloxham safe stick] only has one hit, an article in Flying Magazine Jun 1929.

Anyone know if this idea has been used elsewhere?

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Lgsn8NtjVikC&pg=PA4&lpg=PA4&dq=bloxham+safe+stick&source=bl

Mentioned here:
https://aviation.stackexchange.com/...y-this-plane-from-1920-and-prior-vintage?rq=1

"One other item available as an option was Bloxham “Safety Sticks”. This option allowed the instructor to disengage the student’s control stick if a student “froze” during the flight."

Interesting that this seems to have died out, sounds a decent idea? Very little on net, google [bloxham safe stick] only has one hit, an article in Flying Magazine Jun 1929.

Anyone know if this idea has been used elsewhere?

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Lgsn8NtjVikC&pg=PA4&lpg=PA4&dq=bloxham+safe+stick&source=bl

Mentioned here:
https://aviation.stackexchange.com/...y-this-plane-from-1920-and-prior-vintage?rq=1

How often is this really a problem?

A 9mm double-tap to the student's temple would be just as effective and wouldn't require an STC and plane modification. Just sayin'....

Here's one. Called an Espantoon (if you're from Baltimore). It's distinguished from a mundane cop nightstick in that the fat part is the striking surface. You hold it by the narrow end:

attachment.php

How often is this really a problem?
One of my primary instructors (back in the olden days) asked a commercial student to do a short field landing at what is now VLL just because he figured it would be good to change things up a bit. The student froze at the controls and put them into the trees alongside the runway. (trees have since been replaced with a building, so don't bother to look.)

Years ago when Margy was learning to fly, her instructor was doing a stage check on another instructor's student. Now the club had a 172 for primary training and the instructor points out that most instruction is done with only two people in the plane and the first thing the guy will do after he gets his license is load of the plane with three buddies. So Buzz tells me and Margy to sit in the back for human ballast. The student does fine until the takeoff roll. He then tries to demonstrate a departure stall just off the runway. It felt like we were 50 degrees nose up (maybe it wasn't). I'm holding on to Margy while the instructor is pushing hard against the student's pulling back. It's when I heard what I define as the CFI death scream, a sound they make when they are in imminent fear of dying. I think it was something like, "Get the nose down. If you drop this thing on its tail we're all going to die."

One of my other friends, a slighter built female instructor, says she carries a five cell maglite in her bag for such situations.

What's the chance that the mechanism breaks and disconnects on a solo/PIC vs. the chance that a CFI needs to use it?

I had a co-worker who told a story of instructing in a CT-114 Tutor. He talked his student through a spin entry and the student froze on the controls. Rather than fight him on the stick he reached over and grabbed the student's O2 hose and squeezed until the student let go of the stick to fight for his mask. Easy recovery from there on :cool:

Nauga,
hosed

There's a Lincoln PT-W in the EAA Museum.
https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa-museum/m...t-collection-folder/1930-lincoln-pt-k---n275n
The Lincoln PT -W was designed as a pilot trainer. The large tail surfaces and the ailerons on both wings give it excellent control at low speeds. It is characterized by those who have flown it as a gentle and forgiving airplane. One unusual feature of Hayden's machine is the Bloxham safety stick in the rear cockpit. Based on the assumption that a student may "freeze" on the stick, the instructor in the forward cockpit could pull a safety cable. This tug released the stick from it's socket.

Here's a photo of the rear cockpit control stick. There has to be a patent document floating around.

Bloxham Safe-T-Stick.jpg

My instructor was a pretty small guy (probably 5'7", 165lbs). He mentioned early in training (when discussing transfer of controls) that he'd probably not be able to overpower me if I fought him on the controls. Luckily we were never in a situation that would have necessitated it, lol.

Last edited:
One of my other friends, a slighter built female instructor, says she carries a five cell maglite in her bag for such situations.
One female instructor I used to know said, “it’s amazing how fast they let go of the controls when this bony elbow hits their throat.”

I always referred to the towbar as the "student pilot motivational aide."

I would always remind them that I had full access to it during the flight and could apply some direct motivation to their skull if they misbehaved...

upload_2020-5-18_13-4-17.png

November 12, 1921 Rock Island (Illinois) Argus.

I don't know if this is the same Bloxham, but this guy seems to be quite a character in local aviation. Seemed to have been involved in flight instruction, giving rides, and aerial circus activities in the Chicago area. There's also lawsuits involving him alleging business dealings and another story about a parachute jumper in his air circus falling to his death due to a faulty packed parachute.

Here's another picture of the disengage mechanism, but no description or explanation.

Bloxham Control Stick.jpg

View attachment 85907

November 12, 1921 Rock Island (Illinois) Argus.

I don't know if this is the same Bloxham, but this guy seems to be quite a character in local aviation. Seemed to have been involved in flight instruction, giving rides, and aerial circus activities in the Chicago area. There's also lawsuits involving him alleging business dealings and another story about a parachute jumper in his air circus falling to his death due to a faulty packed parachute.

Well, if it's the same guy, he likely stole the idea....

This 1931 listing of aircraft and aero parts manufacturers lists Bloxham Aero Manufacturing Co. in Chicago.

Bloxham Aero Manufacturing Co 1931.jpg

Back