Oops

Couldn't hold that camera up for just 1 second more...whelp, at least its not vertical video!
I too wanted to see what happened next :)However, I interpret it positively. It tells me the guy was contemplating how he might help (versus being a passive videoagrapher).

I too wanted to see what happened next :)However, I interpret it positively. It tells me the guy was contemplating how he might help (versus being a passive videoagrapher).
Yeah, I admit I figured that as well...

I had a friend who flew a Stearman, and he said that he always slipped all the way to the touchdown area, to assure that there was no one ahead of him, and he was centered on the runway.

My instructor insisted that in departing a non towered field, stay facing incoming traffic until ready to depart, then depart without any pause.

Your Mark one eyeball is your most valuable asset at a field such as the accident one.

The trees may have played a part in this crash, but if so, the inbound plane was too low, or the departing plane too close to the tree line. I have flown from a paved runway that went nearly to the tall trees, but we held far back from the runway end until there were no planes on cross wind or final, taxied fast to the end, and departed.

It is very unfortunate that one or both of these pilots did not take those precautions.

Excellent news that the major casualties are limited to airframes, which can be repaired.

I have a friend who owns and has restored several Stearmans. I was at his shop/hangar just last week, looking at his latest Stearman restoration project, and he pointed out the sturdy construction of the Stearman fuselage. He said that if he had to be in an airplane crash, he hoped that it would be in a Stearman, due to its robust construction.

It appears to me that both of the accident Stearmans can be repaired/rebuilt. Of course, almost anything can be done given sufficient $$$$ horsepower.

Couldn't hold that camera up for just 1 second more...whelp, at least its not vertical video!

You see that a lot with videos. People are videoing, then probably lower it to look directly and miss the final moments.

Back