Oklahoma is OK I hope

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
You folks in Oklahoma got plans to get somewhere safe this evening?
Looks like that stuff at the end of the Bible is enroute.

I hope everyone has a safe place to hunker down. I am talking to a friend in edmond and they are starting to close schools, OU campus closing, and about to issue a PDS Watch.
This looks scary. @RussR @OkieAviator @SoonerAviator And other folks up there. Be safe.

Screenshot 2024-05-06 125444.png

I just heard the OU campus closing announcement over the office weather radio. I don't think I ever had classes cancelled at OU for weather, but I also don't recall the area forecasts quite this extreme. The good part is, everyone should be aware of it because the Weather Forecast Office of the NWS (based in Norman at OU's campus) has been pounding this warning into everyone's heads all weekend. Hopefully the system pushes through quickly without a lot of long-track tornados as they are predicting. The bad part about it is that most of this stuff will be nocturnal, so harder for storm trackers to even see them to issue real-time alerts. Gonna be a wild ride!

These are the days I don’t miss living in OK. TIK has, for some reason, had both high demand-low density fleets (E-3, E-6) spared over the years, but I tell you I’ve been on the ramp when the T warning horns blew and that’s the worst place to be because it’ll take at least 30 mins to start/taxi/TO, and ten to get off the ramp unless the crew bus is still there.

These are the days I don’t miss living in OK. TIK has, for some reason, had both high demand-low density fleets (E-3, E-6) spared over the years, but I tell you I’ve been on the ramp when the T warning horns blew and that’s the worst place to be because it’ll take at least 30 mins to start/taxi/TO, and ten to get off the ramp unless the crew bus is still there.
I saw TIK issued their alerts about the weather on Facebook this morning. Not sure if they expend the fuel/etc. to relocate active fleets for this kind of event or not. Having them hop West to Altus would probably be an improvement over where TIK is, or maybe over to NM (Kirtland I think?).

And it's starting... Storms popping up in far western OK. Going to be a busy night for David Payne!

1000002760.jpg

I saw TIK issued their alerts about the weather on Facebook this morning. Not sure if they expend the fuel/etc. to relocate active fleets for this kind of event or not. Having them hop West to Altus would probably be an improvement over where TIK is, or maybe over to NM (Kirtland I think?).

When I was there, the airborne jets would just divert to McConnell (the -135 fleet and the E-3s have a lot of parts compatibility) and the jets on the ground were left to chance.

If we had enough warning/big enough wx threat, we surged the jets out for the day with the intent of making it home.

When I worked in Norman, there used to be a T28 recovered in steel plate parked at the OU flight ramp. They used to fly INTO these storms.

First timeframe was a dud. Hopefully it continues through 2300.

All clear in Tulsa. Had a pretty good tornado up North of Tulsa about 60 miles (Barnsdall/Bartlesville) that did some significant damage. Definitely leveled a few city blocks. Luckily initial reports are saying very few fatalities so far. Could have been worse given the conditions.

That line blasted through my burg near KC last night, sometime around 10:30 or so. Wind, rain, ice pellets, and lots of lightning. It was so narrow and moving so quickly that it didn’t last long.

A bunch of military transport planes relocated to a former Air Force base near Sacramento in order to avoid possible damage from the storm.

Landed at KOMA today and saw the GA area basically wiped out. Very unfortunate.

Back