Most economical route to make this panel IFR

Huckster79

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Huckster79
Starting my journey to CFI. Need to get my IR. I have a c150 I’m thinking of keeping to do lessons in once there… it’s a vfr setup. It’s not a machine I’d do actual in, Venturi vacuum snd no pitot heat, but so I could do my IR training in it then down the road give IR lessons in it.

what would be the most economical route?

Yes you can chew me out for wanting to be economical About it, and airplane owners never should do that if you would like…

But being I’m not really looking to create a cross country in actual IFR machine I would like to keep it as reasonable as possible. I’m open to used equipment options.

E29C5DF6-BC6F-4948-AF3B-3975DBD68D1C.jpeg 10D8B5FB-D81E-4DD8-9359-22EED33FC097.jpeg

Super Econo without GPS - replace the com with an SL-30 and add a 106B and DME.
Econo with GPS - replace the comm with a 430W and add a 106B.

What I would do - replace the Narco with a GTX-375, and replace the com with an SL-30 and a G5 for HSI (dual G5's aren't that much more and would be worth it IMO.

Last edited:
I'll add, GPS is becoming so ubiquitous and older navaids and approach types are disappearing, I'd be reluctant to do IR training without one. The reality is, while it's legal to do so, it is extremely unlikely that anyone flying actual IFR flights (especially in IMC) will not be using a GPS. Train like you plan to fly...

I'll add, GPS is becoming so ubiquitous and older navaids and approach types are disappearing, I'd be reluctant to do IR training without one. The reality is, while it's legal to do so, it is extremely unlikely that anyone flying actual IFR flights (especially in IMC) will not be using a GPS. Train like you plan to fly...

that’s thing I don’t plan on flying IFR just need it in the road to CFI…

I could see your IR training doubling in flight costs as you seek enough suitable radio based approaches. Depends on where you are based but the MON is truly minimal. For low-cost - I'd pop in a used 430W and 106B or G5 whichever ends up cheaper factoring install costs.

If it doesn't have a reasonably modern IFR GPS installed, who do you anticipate providing training to in that airplane (you said a goal was to provide training in it after you get your CFI)? Do you believe you're not doing those students a disservice by knowingly training them in a plane that isn't going to be able to fly in the modern "system"?

Then I’d want my option. You need to know how to do it gps and vor/ils

I could see your IR training doubling in flight costs as you seek enough suitable radio based approaches. Depends on where you are based but the MON is truly minimal. For low-cost - I'd pop in a used 430W and 106B or G5 whichever ends up cheaper factoring install costs.

You're probably better off renting then. There's a pretty long road to CFI if you don't have your instrument rating yet. Reassess at the end of your journey.

Yea, looks like my club plane would be my best option. It’s super economical to rent. But wanted to get an idea of what I would have into it to make 150 work, I’m clueless on the IR stuff. Been more of a vintage taildragger/grass strip guy thus far.

If it was even close then I’d consider it as then I’d have a more capable training plane in the end. But at $85 a wet tach hour for the club plane w lots of fancy garmin goodies, even the economical options don’t pan out. CFII too far off to plan on with that cost delta: my goals could change or equipment options by then when we’re looking at 5 figures vs $3500-$4k in rent.

I’d have more into the IFR goodies than I paid for the plane…

thanks for the help, I had no clue what I would even really need.

If it doesn't have a reasonably modern IFR GPS installed, who do you anticipate providing training to in that airplane (you said a goal was to provide training in it after you get your CFI)? Do you believe you're not doing those students a disservice by knowingly training them in a plane that isn't going to be able to fly in the modern "system"?

I don’t want to go the route of completely out of date, but was open to not the latest greatest. I was completely ignorant of IFR equipment as it’s just not been my type of thing till now. So I was hoping there was an economical to middle of road option that would be somewhere within a few grand if just renting a club plane in part of. Doesn’t look like it do I’m going to ice the project it looks like. Just doesn’t make sense on this bird to dump 15k into it. I just had no clue what my different options were.

Yea, looks like my club plane would be my best option. It’s super economical to rent. But wanted to get an idea of what I would have into it to make 150 work, I’m clueless on the IR stuff.

You won't be clueless at the end of your instrument rating and then YOU can make your own informed decision.

A lot of time will slip by with analysis paralysis over what equipment to install, finding shop to do the work (especially if installing used equipment) after a lengthy wait, then the inevitable down time due to some maintenance issue or even avionics glitch. All those factors favor renting IMO. That time delay just puts off your ultimate goal of becoming a CFI.

Sounds like a goal of instructing for your club is more realistic and just keep your plane a fun VFR plane. Another thing to look into is the hurdle of insurance for providing flight instruction. That alone might dissuade you right there. You have to provide a LOT of instruction to recoup the insurance premium, especially if you intend to let students solo, which you pretty much have to for primary instruction. You'll have a tough time attracting quality instrument students with a dated avionics package and no CFII experience.

Maybe becoming a tailwheel CFI with your airplane would be a better fit. No new equipment needed.

You won't be clueless at the end of your instrument rating and then YOU can make your own informed decision.

A lot of time will slip by with analysis paralysis over what equipment to install, finding shop to do the work (especially if installing used equipment) after a lengthy wait, then the inevitable down time due to some maintenance issue or even avionics glitch. All those factors favor renting IMO. That time delay just puts off your ultimate goal of becoming a CFI.

Sounds like a goal of instructing for your club is more realistic and just keep your plane a fun VFR plane. Another thing to look into is the hurdle of insurance for providing flight instruction. That alone might dissuade you right there. You have to provide a LOT of instruction to recoup the insurance premium, especially if you intend to let students solo, which you pretty much have to for primary instruction. You'll have a tough time attracting quality instrument students with a dated avionics package and no CFII experience.

Maybe becoming a tailwheel CFI with your airplane would be a better fit. No new equipment needed.

that all makes a lot of sense, and really I think with having zero personal interest in IFR I’d probably be better off aiming for just cfi and never plan on ii.

I’ll call my insurance man, maybe I’ll just peddle off the 150 then and once “there” just use the rental plane from the local FBO for training- they would love to have me on board. Was just thinking my own rig be easier to schedule.

I doubt I’d use my c140 for tailwheel instruction as she’s my baby, but maybe- I mean she trained tailwheel pilots for all of 75 years of her life till I made her a single pilot plane :)

I could make a few bucks on the 150, but was thinking that I’d likely not find as good of a buy on a great training bird to offer once I get my cfi. So I might be thinking wrong anyway on keeping it at all. If she’s not going to be a trainer for me I don’t need a c140 and a c150 :)

With $4k into rent, if I cud get a decent setup for $6k I’d take that gamble. But we’ll into 5 figures it’s just not adding up. I appreciate you guys helping me sort out what makes the most sense.

Back