FAA authorization act signed

StraightnLevel

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
StraightnLevel
Looks like some interesting things have been passed:

Sec 803 - Enhances privacy provisions for FAA-provided public data.
Sec 815 - BasicMed for DPEs
Sec 817 - 10-day maximum processing time for aircraft registration applications
Sec 820 - Removes expiration date of CFI cert
Sec 824 - 24-month limit in MOSAIC final rule issuance
Sec 828 - BasicMed expansion. 6 passengers now allowed - seating for 7. 12,500 pounds MTOW now allowed.
Sec 829 - ADS-B out limitations. "...the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not initiate an investigation (excluding a criminal investigation) of a person based exclusively on automatic dependent surveillance–broadcast data."

https://www.commerce.senate.gov/services/files/BC96EBA2-77A1-401C-96A0-E9B990F4D3E4

Apologies if I'm duplicating something that's already been posted here.

Cool. My CFI no longer expires. How do I deal with the expiration date on my current certificate?

Cool. My CFI no longer expires. How do I deal with the expiration date on my current certificate?
Good question. ;)

Just note that it’s largely a terminology change. You still have to keep it current via the same methods formerly used for renewal, but the certificate itself doesn’t expire.

Yeah, I know. It’s just one less bureaucratic step I need to take to keep current

Also, the "Trent Palmer" rule:

Sec. 809. ENSURING SAFE LANDINGS DURING OFF-AIRPORT OPERATIONS.
The Administrator shall not apply section 91.119 of title 14, Code of Federal Regulations, in any manner that requires a pilot to continue a landing that is unsafe.

And Sec. 810. Development of low-cost voluntary ADS–B.

I’m assuming there will be a reg written similar to 61.11.

Yep. The law may be written, but the NPRM process has to change 14CFR. I can see some direct final rule opportunities here, but until 14 CFR reflects the letter of the law, none of it is legal.

Yep. The law may be written, but the NPRM process has to change 14CFR. I can see some direct final rule opportunities here, but until 14 CFR reflects the letter of the law, none of it is legal.
The NPRM was published a year ago. Working on the final rule.

The NPRM was published a year ago. Working on the final rule.

Thanks for the link. Admittedly, I watch the registrer for banking/financial services rules more closely.

But I didn’t see anything on the BasicMed changes in that notice.

Thanks for the link. Admittedly, I watch the registrer for banking/financial services rules more closely.

But I didn’t see anything on the BasicMed changes in that notice.
The law just passed today. The FAA still needs to publish a rule for the BasicMed items. It’s unlikely notice and comment will be necessary because this was directed by Congress, so it should only take a final rule to implement.

The FAA will first have to adopt a new rule and then you will have to obtain a certificate without an expiration date. I expect a year for this to happen.

The law just passed today. The FAA still needs to publish a rule for the BasicMed items. It’s unlikely notice and comment will be necessary because this was directed by Congress, so it should only take a final rule to implement.

That was my point about there being direct final opportunity; I guess I didn’t clearly communicate it.

No worries, my brain is mind of fried this week from work related stuff.

You probably don’t hear it enough, but getting the CFR straight is tough; thanks to you and others doing that work.

The other thing this bill did was implement enhanced privacy features. I know it’s geared towards celebrities but it will be useful for aircraft owners who would rather that information remain private. LADD already does some of this but this appears to take it the next step.

You can call that one the Taylor Swift provision.

Back