Angel Fire Vs. Santa Fe

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Driving (ugh) in Feb to ski with kids (8 & 6)
They have never gone skiing before.

5-ish days. Of the two locations mentioned in the title, which would be the preferred destination for this and why?

It is not so much of a "Which plane for me" thread but more of a "between these two"

* Vail, Monarch, Aspen, Taos, The Swiss Alps, Park City, Crested Butte, Steamboat, Jackson, etc are probably all amazing places but between just the two aforementioned locations if you had to narrow it down to just those two and not offer locations in Norway, New Hampshire, Canada, Montana, etc... which and why

Oh, you said driving. I was going to say that Angel Fire is a trickier airport than Santa Fe, especially if it's windy.

Oh, you said driving. I was going to say that Angel Fire is a trickier airport than Santa Fe, especially if it's windy.

My wife won't let me fly.
That's okay. Probably something I don't really want mess with the first go round w/ kids in the plane.

So we be rollin.

There's skiing in Sante Fe? All I've ever done there is drink, eat, and listen to incredibly boring lectures.

For kids, Angel Fire is fine...and don't fly there unless you know what you're doing...but that goes for most mountain airports...

No skiing at Sante Fe, but you're about an hour from Taos (north) or Sandia just east of Albuquerque, and hour south, probably 2 hours to Angel Fire, all driving.

Update: ski sante fe is a fairly new ski area, looks good for families and beginners. there's much more to do in sante fe than angel fire. also consider altitude. you live practically at sea level, sante fe the city is lower than angel fire.

Last edited:
I like Angel Fire for the ski in/out accomodations and lack of crowds. Good ski school for the kids. Not much to do or see in town. Road travel in this area can be challenging in storms.
I've skiied Santa Fe since 1975 and like it too. Roads are better and the town has quite a bit to offer. Year round, it's a good destination with a fine airport. The snow conditions should be great this year.

Angel Fire is good for Beginners.
Red River ski area is very close and good for beginners too.

Red River.

You'll have the best time because there is no driving to get to the ski lifts. You can walk from most of the lodges. And RR is probably the most novice of all New Mexico resorts.

Ever tried to load up two kids, a wife, yourself with coats, boots, poles, skis and all that into a car ever day to and from a ski resort? Or have to ride a rickety old school bus up and down to it? They'll have fun, but you won't.

Red River.

You'll have the best time because there is no driving to get to the ski lifts. You can walk from most of the lodges. And RR is probably the most novice of all New Mexico resorts.

Ever tried to load up two kids, a wife, yourself with coats, boots, poles, skis and all that into a car ever day to and from a ski resort? Or have to ride a rickety old school bus up and down to it? They'll have fun, but you won't.

Ok, so This looks like a good option too.
@ AF I would think we would stay at the base of the mountain and walk to the lifts. Also it seems to have bit more in the way of green runs.

Maybe pretty similar. What is in Red river to do on day 3 when nobody wants to ski because their feet hurt? Is there a town we can hit? I want to have that option too. I remember being a kid and the altitude and aching feet were a problem for me after the 2nd day.

No skiing at Sante Fe, but you're about an hour from Taos (north) or Sandia just east of Albuquerque, and hour south, probably 2 hours to Angel Fire, all driving.

Update: ski sante fe is a fairly new ski area, looks good for families and beginners. there's much more to do in sante fe than angel fire. also consider altitude. you live practically at sea level, sante fe the city is lower than angel fire.

What do you consider "daily new"? I skied there 15 years ago and it wasn' t new then.

Ok, so This looks like a good option too.
@ AF I would think we would stay at the base of the mountain and walk to the lifts. Also it seems to have bit more in the way of green runs.

Maybe pretty similar. What is in Red river to do on day 3 when nobody wants to ski because their feet hurt? Is there a town we can hit? I want to have that option too. I remember being a kid and the altitude and aching feet were a problem for me after the 2nd day.

Angel Fire is nice, but it's further South than Red River and can run into snow problems before RR will.

When you stay in Red River, you are in the town. You can walk most anywhere. It isn't a large town so the adult nightlife is not there. It's a quaint town. But with kids and a day of skiing, nightlife is a hot supper and bed. Many Texans will be in Red River most likely. I was born in Amarillo and we went there many times growing up before we moved down South.

I remember when I was a kid about your kids age, I liked Red River more than Angel Fire. It seemed to have more kids than AF.

Angel Fire is nice, but it's further South than Red River and can run into snow problems before RR will.

When you stay in Red River, you are in the town. You can walk most anywhere. It isn't a large town so the adult nightlife is not there. It's a quaint town. But with kids and a day of skiing, nightlife is a hot supper and bed. Many Texans will be in Red River most likely. I was born in Amarillo and we went there many times growing up before we moved down South.

I remember when I was a kid about your kids age, I liked Red River more than Angel Fire. It seemed to have more kids than AF.

Ok, that is def. on the table.

Adult night life now is staying in and having a bit of wine after the kids are asleep. I actually prefer that but my inner 20 year old is shaking his stupid head.

Ok, that is def. on the table.

Adult night life now is staying in and having a bit of wine after the kids are asleep. I actually prefer that but my inner 20 year old is shaking his stupid head.

DYOD because I'm talking from thirty years ago. I haven't been to either one in that time and things may have completely changed.

Santa Fe I know you have to drive from the city up the mountain about thirty minutes to the lifts and it's a treacherous drive. You will need chains. Or take a shuttle bus. We like RR simply for the convenience.

Taos is the black diamond King of New Mexico for advanced skiers.

Edit in: Take a set of chains with you. Water, food, blankets, and all the stuff you can think of in case you encounter really bad weather. We always carried chains and jar of peanut butter and crackers. Some of the passes can close in an instant and you can get stuck or have to turn around. 'Course, we didn't have cell phones back then .... :wink2:

Last edited:
DYOD because I'm talking from thirty years ago. I haven't been to either one in that time and things may have completely changed.

Santa Fe I know you have to drive from the city up the mountain about thirty minutes to the lifts and it's a treacherous drive. You will need chains. Or take a shuttle bus. We like RR simply for the convenience.

Taos is the black diamond King of New Mexico for advanced skiers.

Edit in: Take a set of chains with you. Water, food, blankets, and all the stuff you can think of in case you encounter really bad weather. We always carried chains and jar of peanut butter and crackers. Some of the passes can close in an instant and you can get stuck or have to turn around. 'Course, we didn't have cell phones back then .... :wink2:

Good God Man!
I need a car with a chute :D

Between santa fe and Angel fire. Clearly angel fire is best. Red River wins all.

Sipapu is a close 2nd.

My girlfriend is from Taos and showed me all around the area, including angel fire and red river, among others. They have some neat hills and resorts. One of these days I may fly up there, but it looks like it often gets dangerously windy. Enough so that they're now building a cross wind runway. Flying would sure beat the drive, though!

I quite enjoyed the hot springs at ojo, as well.

A day skiing anywhere is better than any other day; that said, another vote for Red River.
I know you mentioned altitude, but for any other low-landers, pound water for days before you come. The base of many of these areas is 8-11k feet, the altitude will kick your texass, being well-hydrated will help. If it's their first time, get the kids in ski-school for a morning. The kids will love it, it will be the best way to get them to a point they can safely follow you around, and it will give you two 4-6 hours to poke around the more interesting bits of the mountain.

Edit to add: The Texas Suitcase: Don't do it, you'll immediately be outed as a gaper and lose all respect with the staff and locals.

texas-suitcase_zps1e3cq5m5.jpg

Last edited:
My girlfriend is from Taos and showed me all around the area, including angel fire and red river, among others. They have some neat hills and resorts. One of these days I may fly up there, but it looks like it often gets dangerously windy. Enough so that they're now building a cross wind runway. Flying would sure beat the drive, though!

I quite enjoyed the hot springs at ojo, as well.

There is no way my family will let me fly.
There is an ntsb report from the 80s with my dad's name on it. Very very minor incident. Botched landing on an icy runway w a bad cross wind. Several plane had a bad day that day.

I was skiing at Santa Fe in the 70's.....definitely not new. It was old then. They added some really nice lifts in the 80s and have a very nice area for newbies. Angel fire is not bad and they also have some good slopes for newbies but its a lot further from ABQ....not sure where you're starting. The roads are easier to angel fire but I think Santa Fe has a lot more to offer for those who enjoy skiing. Maybe it doesn't matter if you're not a skier. Top of the big lift at Santa Fe is just over 12K feet and the view is amazing. Top of the lift at angel fire is ??? not so cool. You can almost see the backside of the mountain at Taos. Basic answer is either one is fine for a beginner because you won't likely see the top anyway. The road up to the ski area in santa fe isn't that bad and it is plowed. They don't want to lose business so they take care of it. I've been up there in just about every kind of car there is and never had an issue of any kind except for texans who think the speed limit is 5mph.

As a CAP member in the 70s-90s we did a lot of searches in the mountains around santa fe. Its a big jump from the plains and lowlands to the start of the Sangre de Cristos which Santa fe is the southern edge of. Too many overloaded (4 guys and fuel) 172s and people who learned there are rocks in the clouds at 11,000 + feet. Not an insurmountable problem if you're careful and knowledgeable. Many more made it than didn't but the area has a reputation for catching the unwary.
Have fun wherever you go.

Frank

There is an ntsb report from the 80s with my dad's name on it. Very very minor incident. Botched landing on an icy runway w a bad cross wind. Several plane had a bad day that day.

yeah, but same argument could be used for visiting "Sun-N-Fun" or Oshkosh (b'gosh). Not a relevant argument
(ok, not with the ice -- but CB can do same end result)

Let me tell you this, then: the drive won't be any better. I went in January and the roads were icy as hell. Getting up the mountains was at times a very slow crawl. Being a Texan, my tires weren't the best suited, and it's a long drive. I left at like 3p, arrived in Taos around 5a dead exhausted. If you go 40 via Amarillo, it'd be a touch faster, but it'll still be ice and snow north of Las Vegas

You will enjoy Red River. Very family friendly. Bring some board games and puzzles to play with the kids at night. Tire chains and a safety supply pack is a must in the car. My family started skiing there in 1965. We loved it so much we returned 10 years in a row. My first time to ski I had wood skis and leather lace up boots. Fun times!!!

Not much farther depending on snow consider Durango and or Wolf Creek

I flew into Santa Fe using a flight sim last year thinking we were going and it was a breeze. You don't fly over any high mountains coming from the South.

In CAVU weather, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Back