My 15 yr plan of owning a home in an airstrip community

francisco collazos

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ciscovet
So i'm getting close to 50 yrs old here next year and the more I think about it the more I feel that I would really enjoy moving into an airpark community. I started late in life with kids so I have a 12 yr old and a 6 yr old this year that we are paying both their college funds so they can go (if they choose to the university). The more I think about it, living here in Florida used to be a great deal but I don't think so anymore. Along with the heat, ever increasing land costs and insurance costs I would love to spend half the year here (fall/winter) and the other half somewhere that has a better climate and lower housing costs.
I would love to buy a property and pay on it for 15 or so years so that we have a lot to build on. My wife is on board as well and thinks it's a good idea. We are not wealthy by any means and I figure we could find a more reasonable costing property somewhere in the north west or northern georgia- tennessee area. I imagine that buying property is usually not a bad investment. Does this sound like a sound idea or not i'd like to hear opinions from others that have done this or have thought about it thanks
Francisco

We did the exact same thing last year, in that area. Cash buy instead of paying over time. Also sent you a message about it.

We did the exact same thing last year, in that area. Cash buy instead of paying over time. Also sent you a message about it.
When do you plan to start the build?

Are you looking for already established communities or your own field? I don’t know too much about them, I have looked at a couple. Also how much land are you looking at?

My wife and I are looking at finding an airpark community.
Also how much land are you looking at?
The size of the lot isn't as important as the location and access to the runway. Here in Florida, I am looking at 90k/acre and that's not even an airpark community.

I paid $180,000 for two acres right on a prime runway lot in NC (we wanted it because it bordered a connecting taxiway so I could put the hangar part of my house facing that taxiway and preserve the runway view for the house). This was about 20 years ago. Less desirable 1 acre lots (not directly on the runway) ran for $130,000 not long ago.

I paid $180,000 for two acres right on a prime runway lot in NC (we wanted it because it bordered a connecting taxiway so I could put the hangar part of my house facing that taxiway and preserve the runway view for the house). This was about 20 years ago. Less desirable 1 acre lots (not directly on the runway) ran for $130,000 not long ago.
I've been looking at Piney Creek in TN and I love the location. I was there years ago when we rented a log cabin up there. I noticed the location when I was looking at the airpark through google maps. 2 acre lots for 68k and up sound pretty good. The downside is it seems there is not gas at the field.

So i'm getting close to 50 yrs old here next year and the more I think about it the more I feel that I would really enjoy moving into an airpark community. ...
I would love to buy a property and pay on it for 15 or so years so that we have a lot to build on. My wife is on board as well and thinks it's a good idea. ...
Do it sooner rather than later. Approaching 50, you never know when health issues will clip your wings.

So i'm getting close to 50 yrs old here next year and the more I think about it the more I feel that I would really enjoy moving into an airpark community. I started late in life with kids so I have a 12 yr old and a 6 yr old this year that we are paying both their college funds so they can go (if they choose to the university). The more I think about it, living here in Florida used to be a great deal but I don't think so anymore. Along with the heat, ever increasing land costs and insurance costs I would love to spend half the year here (fall/winter) and the other half somewhere that has a better climate and lower housing costs.
I would love to buy a property and pay on it for 15 or so years so that we have a lot to build on. My wife is on board as well and thinks it's a good idea. We are not wealthy by any means and I figure we could find a more reasonable costing property somewhere in the north west or northern georgia- tennessee area. I imagine that buying property is usually not a bad investment. Does this sound like a sound idea or not i'd like to hear opinions from others that have done this or have thought about it thanks
Francisco
You asked;

The youngest of the boomers will be 75 in 15 years. There will be plenty of airport properties available in 10.

Unless you can relocate and work or have a great defined pension, I would not assume you are retiring at 65. There will be changes to Medicare and social security within 8 years. You add likely to see your funding requirements for retirement increasing in you mid 50s.

There is a 50/50 chance stock market returns will not be very good due to boomers not investing new money and withdrawing retirement funds.

Last edited:
"Buy land, they're not making it anymore." - Mark Twain
You've never lived in New Orleans. ;) My first home was in a reclaimed swamp. The real estate agent was remarking that I would get a fantastic rate on flood insurance since my lot was only 2.8' below MSL; the adjacent lots were -4.8' MSL. My lot had been raised 2' with pilings and fill. Much in that metro area is on 'new' land 'made' by building a ring levee in the swamp, pumping it dry and bringing in fill during construction, rinse, lather, repeat.

Last edited:
I've been looking at Piney Creek in TN and I love the location. I was there years ago when we rented a log cabin up there. I noticed the location when I was looking at the airpark through google maps. 2 acre lots for 68k and up sound pretty good. The downside is it seems there is not gas at the field.
We don't have gas here either, but I've never really found it to be an issue. The closest fuel is only 4NM away. I usually go 19NM for a little better deal. If I'm heading out on a longer trip there are some fields with substantially cheaper fuel in various directions I might be heading with in 30NM or so.

Unless you can relocate and work or have a great defined pension, I would not assume you are retiring at 65. There will be changes to Medicare and social security within 8 years.
I'm not assuming i will be completely retiring at 65. Fortunately, the veterinary profession allows me flexibility by doing relief work pretty much anywhere in the country so worst case scenario I work a couple of days a week.

Sure you do.

It usually happens right after you sink a small fortune into either an airport home or a new airplane, or both.
:D
We built this home with the understanding that we may end up not flying at some point before we die. My wife having been a special education teacher specializing in rather profound physical disabilities designed a house that put most of the important stuff on the main floor. Our front door has no steps or anything leading to it. I put in an elevator (oddly we use it primarily for freight, easier to put the cases of wine or the food for the backyard bbq on a cart and send it down than to lug things on the stairs). We also had a house guest with an elderly dog that used it. I figured we might need it at some point, but I didn't know the geriatric dog would be the first user.

My wife having been a special education teacher specializing in rather profound physical disabilities

Mine too, except she specialized in kids with profound mental disabilities. Most of them were severely handicapped physically as well. I’m sure they could share some terrific war stories.

You've never lived in New Orleans. ;) My first home was in a reclaimed swamp. The real estate agent was remarking that I would get a fantastic rate on flood insurance since my lot was only 2.8' below MSL; the adjacent lots were -4.8' MSL. My lot had been raised 2' with pilings and fill. Much in that metro area is on 'new' land 'made' by building a ring levee in the swamp, pumping it dry and bringing in fill during construction, rinse, lather, repeat.
Dubai/UAE built entire islands in the gulf, lol.

Back