ZuluLog Online Logbook

What's the catch?

If its free and online, you are what is being sold.

Not necessarily, zululog is trying to UPSELL you or get you to nag your instructor to use it. I don't recall any ads or corporate nastiness, I go through once a month and enter all my flights into it. It works, it's free. The iPad app sucks, the PDF printouts don't format well but for an innarwebz based back up, it's does the job. Data Input could be "better" but it's OK. For a student or a weekend spam can flier the free version is all you need.

I tried it, after 30 days you lose a lot of the functions. The best thing that came out of it for me, you can get it all set up with the flight totals forwarded, and export it as an excel document. That excel spreadsheet is now my electronic logbook. Nice easy and no bs.

I tried it, after 30 days you lose a lot of the functions. The best thing that came out of it for me, you can get it all set up with the flight totals forwarded, and export it as an excel document. That excel spreadsheet is now my electronic logbook. Nice easy and no bs.
nice :)

What's the catch?

I guess the catch is they hope to hook you during the Platinum Level trial period. Then if you do not upgrade to the Platinum Level, you will be downgraded to the freebie level. Now, I do not know what the freebie level includes. But, I'll know after 5 Aug when my Platinum Level trial period ends.

I guess the catch is they hope to hook you during the Platinum Level trial period. Then if you do not upgrade to the Platinum Level, you will be downgraded to the freebie level. Now, I do not know what the freebie level includes. But, I'll know after 5 Aug when my Platinum Level trial period ends.

The free version works for all my spam can exploits, I've had zululog for a couple of years now and forgot that it even came with a platinum "trial", I didn't miss it.

I've been using the free version for two years alongside a paper log book.

IMO its great. Search and filter functions are the best features.

Makes currency and any "search and add" tasks simple (e.g. how many hours in the last six months).

Never got any spam from them.

Looked through it, nothing there you can't do yourself in a spreadsheet, (I use QuattroPro) I can extract and graph, create the same reminders, and I'm not throwing more personal data out into the market.

Looked through it, nothing there you can't do yourself in a spreadsheet, (I use QuattroPro) I can extract and graph, create the same reminders, and I'm not throwing more personal data out into the market.

Access anywhere on the net (this has come in handy). Ready made filters (this has come in handy), An iThing application, currency reminders, data validations etc..

Access anywhere on the net (this has come in handy). Ready made filters (this has come in handy), An iThing application, currency reminders, data validations etc..

I don't have a need for web access, you can extract anything you want from Excel or QP just by writing a simple macro once and then running it, (Which is what they are doing in background and labeling it a "filter"), Don't use iThings, reminders are a simple macro, etc. But it is prettier than a plain jane spreadsheet.

I don't have a need for web access, you can extract anything you want from Excel or QP just by writing a simple macro once and then running it, (Which is what they are doing in background and labeling it a "filter"), Don't use iThings, reminders are a simple macro, etc. But it is prettier than a plain jane spreadsheet.

I'm a software developer who abhors spreadsheets, if there's anything that has caused excessive software development bills for businesses over the years Excel/spreadsheets in general would be very alone at the top of the list. I've never seen a single thing that a spreadsheet does well, it does lots of things half assed, typically by people who don't know what they're doing and I'm the SOB who has to clean up behind them when stuff eventually (and it always does) spools completely out of control. 20 years in the business, I've never bothered to learn to write an excel macro, the good lord willing, i never will. I'd rather buy Oracle/Weblogic and write my own software before I'd click on the Excel icon to solve anything and I would do that but Zululog saves me the trouble. At the last shop I worked for, employees were free to use Excel, under no circumstances would we help or support anything to do with it. Most productive operation I've ever worked with. If anybody ever asked anything about Excel, we'd hand them a certificate to go get excel training, because we weren't dealing with it. :D

Back