Zulu Time on Apple Watch

Cogito

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cogito
If this is redundant, mea culpa, but it took me some time to figure how to add UTC on an Apple watch. First I put in London, thinking that would work, but they observe daylight saving time, so it's currently one hour off.

Here's how:
-go to the Clock app on your iPhone, seems most settings on the watch are controlled on the phone, (Yes, the Apple Watch is really an iPhone accessory) and hit "world clock" on the bottom.
-Now click the "+" sign on the upper right for a list of cities around the world.
-Type in"UTC" at the top and when it show up, select it.

Now back on the watch when you're customizing a watch face, the "world time" "UTC" is now an option.

That's all.

Can you show local and UTC at the same time on Apple Watch?? I tried the Garmin Watch and that did do that but it was too small for my aging eyes :)

How about a general PIREP on the Apple Watch? I've had the array of iPhones and iPads and I'm a happy Apple customer. What can the Apple Watch provide me that I'll appreciate enough to justify the cost? Isn't it essentially a remote extension of the iPhone? I always have my phone in my pocket and can't convince myself that another gadget is worth having so I don't "have to" reach into my pocket for the phone.

Thanks.

Leo Laporte from the TWIT Network has had one for a few days, and has reported his experience to date on the latest "This Week In Tech" video podcast.

http://twit.tv/show/this-week-in-tech/507

So far, he's a bit underwhelmed.

But the general consensus is that it's utility will expand dramatically now that developers have access to the actual watch.

If you recall, the iPhone was originally introduced with no third party apps or even an App Store. And look how it's utility has flourished!

I have read enough reviews and been asked by management a few times about my take on the Watch. We have one on order just to see it, but my 2cents about it is, pass.

My reasons-
You need to carry your phone, with or without the watch. So I see the watch as another thing to bother you with notifications.
In meetings, I see that most people are ok with leaving their phone out and if it lights up (text, phone calls, emails) no one cares about you taking a quick glance. With the Watch, you will have to swing your arm up to light up the screen, and since we are in business attire, usually pull up your shirt sleeve. This is way more disrupting that a quick glance at your phone. And seems more socially acceptable than looking at watch during a meeting.
I dont see a killer app. The Iphone had a killer app. It made calls. It got your text messages. You had a reason to charge it and keep it with you. Back then you couldn't get phone calls or SMS messages except to your cell phone. This forced you to keep the phone around and use it everyday, and I know there was a few times I turned around and drove back home to get my phone. There is no reason to put the watch on everyday.
I can easily see forgetting to wear it a few days and then thinking why do I have it? I do this with my regular watches and will go weeks without a watch.
The Ipad was a hit because people were tired of looking at the small Iphone screen. So a larger screen for games and browsing were nice.
The watch, to me, doesnt have that drive. You need a phone, you could use a Ipad (or tablet) for times you want a bigger screen. And now with the bigger Iphone, i never use my Ipad except for Foreflight anymore. I dont see why you would require a smartwatch.

Unless you want to buy one and wait and hope for that killer app to show, or you really like the health reporting (I think even that got poor reviews, with other health watches doing better BPM and strides) then I dont see a reason to buy one.

BTW, I had the Microsoft Band. It did limited notifications, and I really liked it because it looked like a Fit bit type device with the health reporting built in. But even then I went back to a watch.

We will get our Watch to test soon, so maybe I am missing something. But reading reviews I just don't see it.

I agree.

Only two use cases I see for me right now...

1) I could get emergency notifications while riding my motorcycle. Accessing my iPhone is a hassle that generally means pulling over. Though realistically I could mount the phone on the bars in a weatherproof case. And, being retired, there's not much so urgent I can't wait.

2) As a cycle computer for bicycling. Handy having a small map display, together with speed and distance. But as you said, I would still need to carry my "Gigantiphone" 6+*. And I'd still need to pair it with a chest strap or equivalent for heart rate if i don't want to wear it on my wrist (I don't).

I still expect more "use cases" to present themselves over time as the genius developers run wild.

We'll see...

Disclaimer - I'm an Apple fanboi and shareholder, so that may color my expectations a bit!

*Leads me to wonder if a very small base model iPhone might not have a market, targeted mainly as an Apple Watch "companion". Maybe later sold as a package.

Last edited:
Can you show local and UTC at the same time on Apple Watch?? I tried the Garmin Watch and that did do that but it was too small for my aging eyes :)

You can show two (or more) time zones at the same time. I have a large analog watch face showing local time and digital UTC in the corner. I'm afraid the digital time zone is fairly small in this configuration.

I remember buying the original iPad and after a few days planning to return it. Then I installed ForeFlight.

It might still be too early to know how/if the apple watch will be a big help to you. I'm looking forward to using turn by turn directions while walking or skateboarding without taking the phone out of my pocket. (I'm not a skate punk, but an electric skateboard fits nicely in my small airplane.)

There are times, like skiing, running, etc, where pulling the phone out isn't a good idea. I did check out the watch in the store and the UI was done very well. I will probably end up with one. If you aren't an active person, it might not be a good fit. I wouldn't see the benefit in a conference room, either.

I had the Apple Watch last night ...

2000 assumed the watch, inventoried the fruit bowl, 6 apples present and accounted for
2400 relieved. Turned over positive control of 6 apples.

2) As a cycle computer for bicycling. Handy having a small map display, together with speed and distance. But as you said, I would still need to carry my "Gigantiphone" 6+*. And I'd still need to pair it with a chest strap or equivalent for heart rate if i don't want to wear it on my wrist (I don't).

For my use, B.iCycle is the best iPhone cycling app, though there are others that are "more popular" among hard-core cyclists. I like the way it can display a map or a table of values, or a combination; though I usually don't need a map and want only the numerical values.
I am hoping that the developers of that app, or one similar to it, will add an interface for the Apple Watch with user-selectable numeric values. Perhaps five lines of information such as
-time of day
-elapsed time
-current speed
-trip distance
-heart rate

Other values are nice (and I suppose they could be placed on a second swipe-to screen), such as average trip speed, maximum trip speed, maximum heart rate, climbed altitude, and current altitude (MSL, obviously) ... but those are not values I care so much about *while* I'm actually riding as when I reach my destination. In fact, as I type this, I see that I have two sets of five values each; perfect for two screens on the watch.

Back