Zulu.2 versus Sierra

Ateaist

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ateaist
OK so the time for the dreaded check ride is drawing near, and I'm ready to pull the trigger on the post-checkride reward - my first pair of headsets (actually headsets, as the wife-boss-copilot is insisting on her own pair so that I will not miss a word). It's down to the Zulu2 ($800) versus the Sierra ($600). My understanding after researching the differences is that they are relatively minor - weight, construction (metal versus plastic) and Bluetooth connectivity (Sierra is phone only, Zulu gives you the music as well).

So the short question is this - are the Zulus $400 better?

I went with the sierras for my wife and I. They are fine, and much nicer than the ones I always borrowed from the FBO during training. I figured that I wouldn't know what I was missing if I never tried the Zulus. When I want a third set, I may splurge and go with the Sennhieser S1.

I bought zulu2 direct from lightspeed. They had or possibly still have a trade in plan where you can trade old headsets in and get a great deal on Sierra or Zulu. I had tried both and preferred the zulu2 more myself. I tried a pair of sennheiser s1 at sun and fun and really liked the mic much better than either. I have several Bose sets and don't care for them much. But, different ones work for different people. Fixed it.

Last edited:
You mean Lightspeed not foreflight. I traded in my 30-3G's on the Zulu.2 after testing just about every other active ANR at Oshkosh and deciding nothing worked any better as far as I was concerned and the discount for the trade-in was pretty good.

I fly day in and day out with the Sennhieser S1.... top of the line, Sierras are a nice upper mid level headset, you will not be dissapointed.

Come on - give me your best sales pitch! :D

Thanks to all posters for your opinions!

Hehe, nah nah. I want people to get the one's that work the best for them. Sometimes, that's not ours. :) All of the one's mentioned are well made, Zulus, S1's and the Sierra's.

I bought a set of used 30-3G's, flew with those for a few flights, and traded them in for a set of new Zulu.2's. I figured I was buying something I would use for the next 10++ years so I wanted the best.

It was a little bit of a hassle, but all-in, I paid about $725 for a set of new Zulu.2's which I don't consider cheap, but compared to what else is out there, it was a bargain.

I would have just kept the 30-3G's as they were pretty good already except I left them in my plane when it was maybe 10F. outside and the headband plastic cracked in half when I tried donning them. I guess that's why you never saw anybody on Flying Wild Alaska using 30-3G's. Everybody had Bose, Lightspeed Zulu, or DC's.

It did take me about 10 hours to figure out I had the microphone on the Zulu.2 was pointed backwards and the noise attenuation and microphone improved after I flipped it. I no longer had to slightly shout after making that change.

I guess it all comes down to how much disposable cashola is in your pocket or what you had budgeted for.

Paul

OK so the time for the dreaded check ride is drawing near, and I'm ready to pull the trigger on the post-checkride reward - my first pair of headsets (actually headsets, as the wife-boss-copilot is insisting on her own pair so that I will not miss a word). It's down to the Zulu2 ($800) versus the Sierra ($600). My understanding after researching the differences is that they are relatively minor - weight, construction (metal versus plastic) and Bluetooth connectivity (Sierra is phone only, Zulu gives you the music as well).

So the short question is this - are the Zulus $400 better?
The primary differences are a slight but noticeable improvement in ANR, the ability to stream music in BT, 15% more weight for the Sierra, and 5db more headroom for the ANR for the Zulu. One advantage on the Sierra side is that unlike the Zulu it has a reversible microphone.

If the ability to stream BT music isn't important I suspect that the improved ANR isn't worth $400 to you unless you expect to be flying very noisy airplanes. OTOH they'll probably last 10 years or more so you're only saving something like the equivalent of 6-7 gallons of avgas or about 15 minutes of airplane rental fees per year.

I can say from personal experience that it's far more likely you'll regret going with second best than you would have buyer's remorse for spending the extra bucks. And if you really can't decide, hedge your bet buy getting one of each then see which of you (pilot vs wife/pax) gets to use the "good one". For that matter many dealers (including the factory IIRC) offer a trial period so getting one of each first and then deciding if one is worth $200 more than the other wouldn't cost you anything beyond some extra shipping fees.

Hehe, nah nah. I want people to get the one's that work the best for them. Sometimes, that's not ours. :) All of the one's mentioned are well made, Zulus, S1's and the Sierra's.

In fairness, I have never heard of yours. So, no slight of your product was intended. But I did check out your web siteafter I read your post.

Do yours connect to the iphone via blue tooth or wire?

I have Zulu 1 and a Sierra. I'd sell you my Sierra and then buy another Zulu.

I have the Sierra. While it is certainly nice it feels bulkier and heavier on my head than the Zulu. I like them more than my David clamps but regret not getting the Zulu. The head strap style is also kind of odd you only have certain notches of adjustability.

So yes, still a great headset but for your primary I say go Zulu.

I like the Bose and Sierra, just for the ability to use it comfortably on either side of the cockpit. Zulu, not.

Rather than spending that much money for something that requires batteries. You can spend half as much for a headset that works alot better than Bose, Lightspeed, and etc. Check out Clarity Aloft. I will never buy another brand of headset. They are lightweight comfortable and best of all no headset hair. www.clarityaloft.com

In fairness, I have never heard of yours. So, no slight of your product was intended. But I did check out your web siteafter I read your post.

Do yours connect to the iphone via blue tooth or wire?

Oh I read nothing into your post at all. I was being sneaky. :) Our models connect via wire. We didn't want to leave the non-bluetooth phone folks out.

I liked my first Zulu.2 so much that I bought a second for my wife. It is a LOT of money, but this is something that you will hopefully get to use for a very long time.

Rather than spending that much money for something that requires batteries. You can spend half as much for a headset that works alot better than Bose, Lightspeed, and etc. Check out Clarity Aloft. I will never buy another brand of headset. They are lightweight comfortable and best of all no headset hair. www.clarityaloft.com
I have a Clarity Aloft (I was actually one of their earliest customers and they are located in my backyard) but it's nowhere near as quiet as a Zulu. The lack of batteries (the newest model does use batteries but only for the music input) is nice and they don't mess up your hair but in a loud airplane good ANR is noticeably better at keeping the noise at bay. That said, a Clarity Aloft is likely quieter in a Cessna 172 than the Zulu in a Baron.

There is one noise issue where the in-ear headsets surpass good ANR and that's in a really high noise environment when the ANR gets overloaded. A passive headset can't get overloaded.

Last edited:
Back