zoom ZOOM zoom (NA about car shopping)

Flyboy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ron Kinney
I hate car shopping, but I must admit the internet has taken a lot of the frustration out of it.

We had to sell my company suburban :( when things got tight so my wife and I bought a honda odessy and I took over the 97 960 volvo.

Volvos are good cars and fun to drive but they are just too dang small.

So I suffered with it for about 8 months. I started looking seriously about a month ago. Had to be used, lots of room and fairly good on gas. My initial search pointed to a Honda CRV but the ones I could afford had way too little leg room for the driver(newer ones had a tad more). But I found one on the internet for a really good price. 4 grand less then the Honda dealerships were asking. I just couldn't put up with the leg room after looking at it. Beside the honda was a 91 Mazda Tribute. (this was a Mazda dealer) I decided to look at it and was suprised that the driver leg room rivaled my suburban(I had to move the seat forward) and it had more interior space than the honda plus a 6 cylinder engine instead of the honda 4. 48k miles on the display, and listed 18 and 22 mpg-about what the volvo got but on regular gas instead of high test. I don't care for the firestone tires, but since it was 3 grand less than the honda I bought it.

So my ordeal is finally over and I won't have to go through it again for a few years (I hope)

I'm just wondering if I should've gotten a pre-buy inspection....

I'm in serious lust right now. I'm normally a truck kinda guy, currently driving a Ford F250 Diesel extended cab with a long bed.

With diesel prices where they are, I decided to rent a car for the drive to Las Vegas this morning. I carry my tools and a bunch of other stuff between offices and commercial air travel doesn't work for me when it's this close. I could rent but it's just easier this way.

And WAY more fun when it's a 2005 Ford Mustang. WOW. And this is just the six cylinder, 4.0L. Crikeys, this thing is FAST...although it gets a little squirrelly at 110mph. Very solid feel to it overall. I'm impressed.

If the Accountant would release funds, I'd seriously consider a Mustang GT with a standard transmission. The automatic takes all the fun out of it in the curves. :D

My normal 5.5 hour drive lost an hour on the way here. Not sure where it went. ;)

Yes, in this search I for a car I got what I needed instead of what I wanted. It's got 200hp so it'll scoot but I had to NOT look at the 05 mustangs, the RX8 and the main full sized pickups.

Oh and a cobra knock off.... would love to have one of those! :dance:

Guess I'm just too dang practical in my old age.

BTW a Volvo 960 is very stable at 110. and 130 and....

Flyboy said:
I had to NOT look at the 05 mustangs, the RX8 and the main full sized pickups.

Oh and a cobra knock off.... would love to have one of those!
My last car search included a test drive of the Porsche Cayenne. Wow! Best car I have ever driven, and I'm a car guy. Even my wife, who is not a car person, was impressed. If it could be equipped with a third-row of seats a la Acura MDX/Honda Pilot, they would have gotten a sale on the spot.

I currently drive an '02 mustang GT. I have a serious case of lust for the new mustangs. One of the pilots I know just traded in his mid-90s GT for a 6 cylinder convertible. He wanted a GT ragtop, but there is a year wait or some such thing for one of those. I have not ridden in it yet, but it sure looks great standing still.

06 or 07 GT in my future, I hope.

Jim G

My 02 Corvette convertible remains the best car I've ever owned. Performance, fun, reliable and surprisingly good on gasoline. I average in the low-20's MPG in daily mixed driving. On the freeway, put it in 6th and it will get over 30mpg in freeway cruise. Of course, you can make it burn as much fuel as you like when you want to go fast.

Couldn't be happier with it.

I haven't done a fuel economy test on this thing yet. I topped off in Kingman and noted the mileage. I'll probably top off before I leave Las Vegas. I noticed it's got a fairly large overdrive gear, though. Cruising at 85mph with 2500rpm.

The design on these new Mustangs is real nice. This is NOT a four person car, however. Two plus some storage space behind the front seats. No way could a person fit back there.

Back