ZipCar, anyone used this?

wbarnhill

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iEXTERMINATE
I thought this was interesting, particularly for folks who travel a fair amount. No dealing with car rentals, and you can just reserve the car for a few hours with gas and insurance included. Anyone done this before?

http://www.zipcar.com/

Done it. Be careful. Theres a certain ammount of mileage you can put on the car per day. Something like 100 miles. If you exceed that it'll cost you.

Last edited:
I have not used it, but I have seen them (or someone like them) in San Francisco, and for places like that- if I lived in a truly urban environment - I think the concept is brilliant, and I would be sorely tempted to participate.

Corollary:

I have to have a big car for clients, jobsites, taking folks to court, etc., but I hate driving a big car. In our "space" in the legal world, nearly everyone has an SUV of some kind or another, lots of Suburbans and Escalades. What a waste! My compromise is a Caddy deVille, which has lots of room and (remarkably enough) is not too bad on the gas (solid mid-twenties, highway mileage).

My 'druthers would be to drive something smaller and sportier (Audi A3, A4, 3-series BMW, something like that?) and more economical, and have a truck available on an "only when I need it" basis. Could rent, but uncertain availability, ridiculous cost for rental of vehicles like that.

May just buy a 5-year-old one and keep it in the parking garage for firm use...

Used it in Boston, where I didn't own a car (and neither do a lot of other residents). Was great for errands like "picking up something heavy at a store some distance away" or "showing visitors around for a day". Comes with gas and insurance. I would like to see more "community transportation" programs like this. Cars, bikes...

--Kath

Wow, interesting... Now, we just need them to start parking cars at GA airports... :yes:

Back