Zhangjiajie China airport - does it have safe approaches

NoHeat

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I'm on a committee that's considering where to hold a meeting in Asia, and a leading proposal is Zhangjiajie, in a scenic area in a central mountainous part of China. The airport there, ZYG, has sufficient airline service for our purposes, but I am wondering if the location is risky for airliners. It looks like there is one runway, aligned with a narrow valley, in the midst of some impressive terrain.

We had no qualms holding a previous meeting in Santa Fe, where attendees flew into SAF which also has mountains nearby. But ZYG looks like it is closer to the granite. And it is China.

Does anybody have approach plates for ZYG? Or an assessment by authorities of the safety of flying there?

Which airlines serve the airport ? More important than the approaches imho.

Who would pick that place ? Exotic Chinese location = exotic Chinese Airline ! I think for an extra two bucks you can get a seat a little further from the livestock !

The approaches seem to be a recent approval (earlier this year). The airport was expanded as part of the Beijing Olympic build up.

You can fly there from Shanghai on China Eastern and Shanghai Airlines, Beigjing on China Southern Airlines and Air China. There is also service to Chongqing, Chengdu, and Changsha.

Back