What are the requirements to reach 0g?
How can you be weightless?

How do you reach -1,5g?

Rgds

Oh boy. R&W is gonna like this one. :rofl:

Lol! I see he's already here.

Good morning,

What are the requirements to reach 0g?
Push (it helps a lot if you pull first to get the nose up)
How can you be weightless?
Because your vertical acceleration = -32.2 feet per second squared or, 9.81 meters per second squared if you prefer.

How do you reach -1,5g?
Push harder.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot,

No, my mistake, I don't know why I added A320.

Thanks to Light and Sporty guy.
Could you explain vertical acceleration? Basically if you are 0g, gravity is not acting on you.

A flight simmer? Hmm...
Well...

Thanks

Thanks a lot,

Basically if you are 0g, gravity is not acting on you.

Thanks

You cannot escape gravity. You can fall at a speed equal to the gravitational pull of the object your falling in to have the perception you are weightless though.

Yes, of course.
Let's say you are in direct law....ok?

I am still not getting it.
How do you cancel gravity for these 20 seconds?
What does the plane do? As you said, you can't cancel gravity....

Last edited:
Could you explain vertical acceleration? Basically if you are 0g, gravity is not acting on you.
"Zero-G" is a function of balance between the Earth's gravity and your own acceleration.

If you apply a force to accelerate upward, your net rate of acceleration gets added to that of the Earth (32 fps/s). If you apply the same force downward, your net rate is subtracted from that of the Earth. For a powered vehicle, it's possible to accelerate downward at a higher rate than gravity.

Keep in mind that "Zero G" notes *balance*, not presence/absence of gravity. Gravity pulls at the International Space Station only slightly less than it pulls someone standing on the ground. The astronauts are "weightless" because gravity and their own motion are affecting the people exactly the same as the can they live in.

Ron Wanttaja

Thanks a lot,

No, my mistake, I don't know why I added A320.

Thanks to Light and Sporty guy.

A flight simmer? Hmm...
Well...

Thanks

Incorrect, Gravity is still acting on you, there is just nothing to react against when in free fall. In sky diving you react with the air, but in a Zero G aircraft ride, the aircraft is matching your ballistic trajectory and taking the air you are in with it. Gravity is still in full effect as everyone will find out shortly. Your brain is just being tricked into being weightless by lack of a gravitational counter poise.

Simmer because anyone who has actually flown a plane even once viscerally understands this question.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot,

How does the plane take the air you are in with??

Thanks a lot!!

Thanks a lot,

How does the plane take the air you are in with??

Thanks a lot!!

It's in an enclosed tube isn't it? The path you "fall" on those rides is one of a 500mph bullet, you actually start 'falling' up.

Last edited:
OK....I officially call out 6PC as "thebusflyer" !! Anyone second the motion?

"Zero-G" is a function of balance between the Earth's gravity and your own acceleration.

If you apply a force to accelerate upward, your net rate of acceleration gets added to that of the Earth (32 fps/s). If you apply the same force downward, your net rate is subtracted from that of the Earth. For a powered vehicle, it's possible to accelerate downward at a higher rate than gravity.

Keep in mind that "Zero G" notes *balance*, not presence/absence of gravity. Gravity pulls at the International Space Station only slightly less than it pulls someone standing on the ground. The astronauts are "weightless" because gravity and their own motion are affecting the people exactly the same as the can they live in.

Ron Wanttaja

Best Explanation.

That"s a llt of infos!
Let me read all this again...

Problem is, in a A320 the airplane won't let you do it. :rolleyes: (at least not in normal law)

Zero G uses a Boeing 727, why would an a320 be any less capable? Yes, I realize that what Zero G does isn't within the norms of transport category aircraft flight.

For only $4,950 this "weightless" experience can be yours, along with a possible reacquiantance with your breakfast. I assume the term "Vomit Comet" has more to do with with the upchuck factor involved in these flights that the type of aircraft flown.

Zero G uses a Boeing 727, why would an a320 be any less capable? Yes, I realize that what Zero G does isn't within the norms of transport category aircraft flight.

For only $4,950 this "weightless" experience can be yours, along with a possible reacquiantance with your breakfast. I assume the term "Vomit Comet" has more to do with with the upchuck factor involved in these flights that the type of aircraft flown.

It's not that the plane isn't capable, it's that in 'normal law' parameters of the FBW system, it won't do it.

Yeah but the 320 has got various protections which won't let you go to 0g.

Ok:

Earth has gravity.
If you pitch up the plane, the plane's acceleration

Basically, the plane is falling at the same rate as you are. So the feeling of being pushed into your seat by gravity is gone.

It's not that it's less capable, but the A320 has protections under normal law that will not allow the pilot to exceed 1 G in normal mode.

Remember the A320 is FBW, the 727 is not.

Pull as many positive g's as you can as quickly as you can. Once the wings come off you will be zero g all the way to the ground.

Pull as many positive g's as you can as quickly as you can. Once the wings come off you will be zero g all the way to the ground.

No you won't be, you will be accelerating at 1g working against atmospheric friction, when terminal velocity is reached, you will be at 1g relative to the aircraft again as well. The cumulative effect can be measured at the reaction sight where that acceleration meets the surface plane of the earth. The "G" is the constant as long as we are in the earth's gravity well.

Last edited:
No you won't be, you will be accelerating at 1g working against atmospheric friction, when terminal velocity is reached, you will be at 1g relative to the aircraft again as well. The cumulative effect can be measured at the reaction sight where that acceleration meets the surface plane of the earth. The "G" is the constant as long as we are in the earth's gravity well.

Well, it would work in a vacuum. :D

The key is to realize that gravity may affect your trajectory, but it does not affect the forces you feel between your cheeks and the seat.

Imagine the following scenerios:

1) You are flying along straight and level and decide to close your eyes and fly by "feel". Just a moment later, Congress repeals the law of gravity and - poof- it's gone. Would you notice? Well, during S&L flight, gravity is pulling the airplane (with your ass in it) down at 32.2 ft/sec^2 while the wing is trying to lift the whole mess at 32.2 ft/sec^2 (or 9.81 m/sec^2 if you are that kind of guy). Gravity went away, but the aerodynamic forces from the wing did not - so, the airplane will accelerate upwards at 32.2 ft/sec^2 and it will seem that you are being pushed down in the seat exactly as it did before gravity went away.

2 ) Again, you are flying along F.D.&H., but this time, someone pokes the earth with a big space needle and pops the atmosphere. Instant vacuum. Do you feel that? Yes siree Bob! You and the airplane both go into instant free fall (at least until your orbit impacts the surface) and there is no force between the butt and seat.

So, no air, no forces that you can feel. No gravity, just a change in trajectory - no changes in forces. Gravity does not cause the forces you feel when you fly.

Sort of looks like this...

op44-75105-raw1200-1024x853.jpg

Back