Zenith Zodiac 601 HD

Bob S

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bob S
I am looking at a Zenith Zodiac 601 HD. Does anyone have any experiance with this plane? Or any comments?

A friend has one and likes the plane. He flies from St Louis to his deer hunting grounds and cabin in Minnesota.

His only complaint is with the engine, a Jabiru 2200, which he feels is under powered for that plane.

The 601 HD does not qualify for light sport, the 601 XL does, but that one needs the upgrade.

His 601 HD was a homebuilt
I don't know if there is a factory version of the HD.

I have a couple of comments that may be of interest. I own a 2008 AMD 601XLi-B SLSA which has been recertificated as "Experimental - Operating Light-Sport Prev. issued cert under 21.190." This was done so I could perform my own maintenance, and obtain an LSA Repairman Certificate-Inspection so I could perform my own condition inspections.

The CH601HD is an older design that has a thicker airfoil than the newer CH601XL and CH650LS, and it is significantly slower than the newer models. The canopy of the 601HD is hinged on the cockpit fuselage longerons instead of the front hinges as on the 601XL and 650LS. The 601HD max gross weight is 1,200 pounds compared to the 601XL and 650LS max gross weight of 1,320 pounds, (usually) resulting in a lower useful load. The 601HD uses bungee cords for shock absorption on the main gear as well as the nose gear, while the 601XL and 650LS use relatively maintenance free spring gear for the mains.

Finally, as @tinerj notes, the HD may not qualify as Light Sport, and the XL does need the structural upgrade modifications known as the "B" mod.

There are many happy owners of CH601HD Zodiacs; I'm just trying to point out some of the differences between Zodiac models you may want to consider.

Here is a summary chart comparing the CH601 models:
http://www.zenithair.com/zodiac/xl/xl-compare.html

Here are the airfoils for the HD and XL.
Zodiac%20601HD%20and%20Zodiac%20601XL%20Airfoils_zpsmxhg5kw3.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. If the 601 HD has a 1200 pound gross weight, I wonder what disqualifies it from light sport.

Thanks. If the 601 HD has a 1200 pound gross weight, I wonder what disqualifies it from light sport.
Looks like top speed may be a problem.

Neither the 601HD nor the 601HDS have wing flaps, so I suspect the stall speed might be the issue. If you'll look at the comparison chart I linked to in my post above, you'll see the HDS does not qualify as light sport (higher stall speed), and the 601HD says "probable."

That's old news; after what was probably the most thorough evaluation of any LSA design by the FAA, European aviation authorities and a host of design consultants, and the resulting structural modifications and aileron mass balance weights to prevent flutter (collectively known as the "B" modifications) were incorporated into the design in 2010, the CH601XL has had an enviable safety record.

Last edited:
Neither the 601HD nor the 601HDS have wing flaps, so I suspect the stall speed might be the issue. If you'll look at the comparison chart I linked to in my post above, you'll see the HDS does not qualify as light sport (higher stall speed), and the 601HD says "probable."

Note that the max stall speed for LSA aircraft is in the "clean" condition. Adding flaps to drop the stall speed will not change whether the aircraft can be an LSA.

Note that the max stall speed for LSA aircraft is in the "clean" condition. Adding flaps to drop the stall speed will not change whether the aircraft can be an LSA.

Right you are. Mea culpa.

Title 14 said:
Light-sport aircraft means an aircraft, other than a helicopter or powered-lift that, since its original certification, has continued to meet the following:
(4) A maximum stalling speed or minimum steady flight speed without the use of lift-enhancing devices (VS1) of not more than 45 knots CAS at the aircraft's maximum certificated takeoff weight and most critical center of gravity.

I'm looking at a Zodiac 601 XLB (2017 build). Does anyone know anyone (in Michigan) that can help me with an inspection?
or
Does anyone have an inspection routine they can share with me?

Thanks,
Rob Rice - Formerly Ann Arbor, Michigan
Now, 7FL6 (Port Orange FL).

The seem to come from together on occasion as well...

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/light_sport/media/Zodiac.pdf
This issue never involved the 601 HD aircraft. It was limited to the 601 XL (my plane). The HD has a different wing.

Also, the XL problem was fixed a long time ago and almost all of these aircraft have been upgraded to the XLB.

Of course if someone is looking at buy a flying 601XL you can easily see if the upgrade has been done by the added rivets/pattern on the fuse.

I'm looking at a Zodiac 601 XLB (2017 build). Does anyone know anyone (in Michigan) that can help me with an inspection?
or
Does anyone have an inspection routine they can share with me?

Thanks,
Rob Rice - Formerly Ann Arbor, Michigan
Now, 7FL6 (Port Orange FL).
Rob - Email me at gaw.ebm at gmail dot com and I will forward my (very long) condition inspection checklist for my 601XLB.

I have updated it every year to continually improve it. My condition inspection checklist is now 42 pages long!

My engine is an O-235 so if your engine is different some of it will not apply. However there is a ton of stuff on there that will.

Also, I built my plane and have been flying it for 8 years. Feel free to email me with any questions you may have.

Thanks very much LndWarrior! I did read that report - it was very fascinating and made me want to research wing designs (more than I have time for).
I'll definately e-mail you - thanks! Rob

Back