Zenith CH801 STOL

flyersfan31

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Freiburgfan31
It's ugly, but practical, with four seats. Fun, old-fashioned low and slow flight. Easy to assemble, IMHO, with mostly blind rivets. No mixing goop, no bucking bars, and the quick build might only take 400-500hrs.

What am I missing? I have a real bug about building, but everytime I mention it to the missus she laughs at me. Maybe if I did a better job cleaning the house....

I stopped at the factory in Mexico, MO a few weeks ago to look around. I was very surprised at the room all four seats had in the 801. The factory demo they had on hand to fly was a 180 hp model. They had the 701 with a 582 and it was out flying while I was there. They offered to take me up, but I was short on time and had to be in Jeff City in a hour.

They are an awesome STOL aircraft, no two ways about it. Don't skimp on horsepower. It was my second choice behind the Highlander by Just Air, mostly for build time.

the performance looks great, but I have yet to figure out where the baggage would go with 4 people in that airplane.

Back