Zenair CH601 down in Marengo (suburban Chicago) IL, 1 fatality

rk911

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
rk911
Damn, that sucks. I believe I met him at an EAA meeting at 06C when I still lived in the area. At least the name sounds familiar.

A Zenair CH601. Hope the wings didn't fold up on it.

The Chicago Executive Pilots Association today mourns the loss of our member, Rob Sherman, who perished in an unfortunate accident Friday. At Chicago Executive Airport Rob was just one of us, an enthusiastic general aviation pilot who loved to fly.

In the recent past Rob served as our scholarship chairman. He embraced the title and the work and reached out well beyond the requirements of the post. When one of our scholarship recipients was unable to attend the event at which we were announcing her win, he flew to Decatur and picked her up. They arrived in time for Rob to make the presentation of her check and for her to receive it and express her thanks.

Rob Sherman was generous, always sharing his love of aviation, and helping others to join in and participate. He was active in advancing his own aviation education and a frequent attendee at our education and safety presentations.

We all offer our sympathy to his wife Celeste and the children. Blue skies and tailwinds forever Rob. We will miss you.

the preliminary NTSB report has been issued:
http://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...D=20161210X01354&AKey=1&RType=Prelim&IType=FA

assuming it's correct it appears the pilot, holding a Sport certificate, was flying after the end of civil twilight. Sport pilots are restricted from flying before the start of and after the end of civil twilight. Is there some scenario whereby he could have been flying legally after the end of civil twilight??

A Zenair CH601. Hope the wings didn't fold up on it.

From the prelim report it's tough to tell for sure what happened but jeez, Zeniths sure do seem to have issues. Being a member of the Missouri Pilot's Association, I get a lot of ads for Zenith aircraft since they're based in Nevada Mo (I think that's right...). Everytime I see the ad, it think "nope nope nope."

RIP, sad story for sure.

The ones I've seen have seemed like great aircraft, wonder how many have been pilot error.

Last edited:
Aren't these the ones that had spar issues and the wings folded?

Back