Zach's New guy intro

introvert_zach

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
introvert_zach
Hi there. My name's Zach and I'm thinking about making a career shift to being a pilot. I'm very early into researching this career. There's some things that concern me such as not being able to get a first class medical because I'm missing my right ear.

I spent many years in a variety of jobs in spite of having a STEM related college degree. I also spent some time going back to school to learn to code but that hasn't really worked out that well.

I know I'm kind of all over the place, I'm stressed out all the time. I'm a mix of somewhat satisfied yet unhappy with my life. I accomplished a fair amount but I feel like I can get more.

At this stage of my career with my missing ear is it possible to get hired as a pilot for an airline? Or will I have to settle for being a flight instructor? Later today I'll need to schedule my appointment. One of the instructors at a school I was talking to said there's a lot of businesses out there that will want to take my money and run.

I hope all goes well, I frankly want to start a youtube channel documenting my journey. Hopefully I can inspire someone to pursue their aviation journey.

…Later today I'll need to schedule my appointment..
If that’s an appointment with an AME for a flight physical, I’d hold off for a bit. Here’s a answer re: hearing: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...m/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item49/amd/

So long as you’re not bilaterally deaf, it should be achievable on that aspect.

I’d encourage to review question 18, in its entirety on the medical. That question asks do you now or have you ever in your life had and then goes on to list a bunch of things to include problems with alcohol, DUI/DWI, drug use, mental illness (to include add/adhd), and somewhere there’s a place to disclose medications.

Depending on that whole story, there may be significant challenges to a physical. Yes, there are many paths to success, but for some scenarios there is none.

"problems with" may give the wrong impression. More specifically, have you ever been referred to a medical/psyche/law enforcement professional for ...

It's all about the paper/digital trail.

Also, you may not want to display your anxiety/depression level in a public forum or anywhere online. The FAA knows about social media. I would also suggest you NOT start a youtube channel about your "journey". Sharing too much online could be inimical to your future plans.

Last edited:
I’ll strongly suggest scheduling a consultation with the AME not a flight physical.

congratulations on the career change!

"problems with" may give the wrong impression. More specifically, have you ever been referred to a medical/psyche/law enforcement professional for ...

It's all about the paper/digital trail.

Also, you may not want to display your anxiety/depression level in a public forum or anywhere online. The FAA knows about social media. I would also suggest you NOT start a youtube channel about your "journey". Sharing too much online could be inimical to your future plans.

This is wise. Besides the FAA I'd be very careful advertising to potential robbers.

OP, go back and study Domenick’s advice and take it to heart. He is offering you some valuable wisdom to which you should pay very close attention.

I sincerely offer you all the best of luck.

Back