YouTube training videos!

I had never seen his videos before. This is the first one I found. Looks he is more of a threat to the fish than other aircraft. Check out his altimeter :yikes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF2SWqC2z-A
I always find it interesting to watch someone line up, push the loud lever(s), and then go head down. I suspect that's why some people think tailwheels are "hard" and why my insurance is expensive.

To specifically answer your question, "Fly the Wing" with Gary Wing has good, brief instructional videos. I'm a sucker for any aviation related videos, so I guess that makes me less critical.

I'm sort of obsessed with Mooney transition training videos right now and although they're not instructional per se, I'm learning a bit from the CFIs in the videos.

Thanks for these!

I love the fact that several of his videos look to be at Borrego Valley Airport (L08) (SoCal desert) as I just flew there for the first time this past Sunday.

Go Arounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPSJ96iFE8M

I enjoy Gary Wing's videos. 5 min sessions are fairly practical.

I had never seen his videos before. This is the first one I found. Looks he is more of a threat to the fish than other aircraft. Check out his altimeter :yikes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF2SWqC2z-A

He's a threat to cars, bridges, runways, boats, water skiers, and taxiing aircraft. As well as those approaching Oakland or Auburn. He even posted here once claiming he was "safe" and that we were all clueless.

He has one "circle to land" video that shows him almost closing two runways at once with a steep turn over the threshold.

He's not deserving of the ire he seems to be generating. In my opinion, GA needs more people like him

Amen. If I ever get a chance to shake Mr.Aviations hand, I will do so. Same with Jason Shappert

Both have done and are continuing to do much to keep this 55 year old "reentry pilot" enthused about GA, especially as it relates to self confidence.

Consider this. They may be doing more for generating interest in general aviation and new pilot starts than AOPA and EAA combined.

I'M NOT GRUMPY!!!!!!!! I just can't stand that little twerp, that's all.

Found a new one: Friendly Skies Films. Well done videos from new GA private pilot. Check him out.

Perhaps he's more palletable to the grumps out there.

Hello,

I just wanted to say that I have been watching videos on YT by Mr Aviation 101 on IFR pretty interesting stuff, he has a lot of good content on there:

Do you folks have videos on You Tube that helps make you a better pilot?

Thanks!

I like those videos. Thanks for posting them.

I personally like Aviation101's video's. He does a good job narrating and editing them, and not just covering raw footage with stock music.

That is how some people are actually. They will figure out what they hate about anything...it's a shame really!

Found a new one: Friendly Skies Films. Well done videos from new GA private pilot. Check him out.

Perhaps he's more palletable to the grumps out there.

LOL, I've seen his videos, another kid with a camera, catching his excessive self-talking and boring his passengers out of their minds. Not every passengers is interested in how to start the engine or do other mundane tasks. If I commented every single move like that, the wife would probably get out of the airplane and go home. :)

Making a good video does NOT require describing every single aviation detail 150% of the time. One day, these kids might realize that.

Until then, grumps will be grumps and if you excuse me, I will go look up some cool Bob Hoover videos. :D

If you don't like someone's videos don't watch them. I don't understand the passion in some folks' dislike :dunno:

I also like Mr Aviation and Flight Chops. Always watch them as soon as they publish a new one. Another good video is Martin Pauly. I wish he would do more of them, he has done some really nice ones with his Bonanza going into larger airports.

Last edited:
I also like Mr Aviation and Flight Chops. Always watch them as soon as they publish a new one. Another good video is Martin Pauley. I wish he would do more of them, he has done some really nice ones with his Bonanza going into larger airports.

Martin Pauley is a guy with tattoos.

The guy with the Bonanza is Martin Pauly.

If you don't like someone's videos don't watch them. I don't understand the passion in some folks' dislike :dunno:

I don't watch them. Mr. Aviation is just annoying and his stuff doesn't entertain me, to some it is entertaining and that's great. But I am certainly NOT a fan of Jason Schappert. If you purchase any of his "bestsellers" you would know what I am talking about. Sent in to get a free copy of his "Private Pilot Blueprint" book through a link I saw on...wouldn't you know it...one of Mr. Aviation's videos, thinking I would learn some helpful tips for when I get my CFI. Wouldn't say it was free since I spent $12 to have it shipped. Inside this 97 page BOOKLET, almost 30 pages were nothing but him advertising his books and online ground school or him bragging about being an 8,000 hour CFI. All the information was written in large font, with huge margins and double spaced text. All the good information(there really isn't any) could be put in a small one page article and is available for free online just looking at the AOPA Flight Training website or any other "things to think about when going for your pilot license" type of article. The section on what the written test is...basically told the reader to go look it up in the FARs(like someone with no flight experience would know what they are) and that he offers a ground school to prep for it. This guy charges $20 for this book on Amazon and it wasn't even worth the shipping and handling to have a free copy shipped to me. Looked at some of the reviews for his other books and they were basically saying the same thing, he charges a ridiculous amount of money for a book with almost zero value and uses it to market his online ground school. One said he thinks Jason is "preying on people's checkride anxiety to line his pockets." I think that is exactly what he is doing with his books. I understand the guy is trying to dip into the market that the King's, Sporty's and others have capitalized on, and maybe his online ground school is quite educational, but his writing is some of the worst I've seen with little to no value and he charges a profuse amount for it, and for that, I'm staying away from his stuff. Plus this guy suckered a bunch of people into paying for him and a buddy to fly across America to "promote GA." I call BS, he wanted to go on a pleasure trip and have others pay for it. Couldn't find anything he did to promote GA on his trip. http://www.flyingacrossamerica.com/about-us-and-the-flight/

Both of Josh and Jason have go fund me/kickstarter campaigns. None of my coworkers that make KC-10 videos ask for money.

And definitely more then the "grumpy people" on this board. You know who you are. :sad:
Yeah I may not "promote" GA on here. Normally I carry around business cards because more often than not, high school & college kids ask me about being an Air Force pilot when I stop on my way to/from work and tell them to call/email me anytime with questions. Would say I get one two calls/emails a month. I also routinely speak at high school and college career days. Oh, and I don't advertise a go fund me account on the back of the cards or at the end of a career day presentation to compensate me for the gas to drive there.

Opinion voiced, rant done :D

I can't stand Josh or Jason. Both of them bug the living **** out of me.
Agree.

If you want some professionally produced by CFI vids, look up UND university of North Dakota. They have some good ones.
Agree.

I've been a subscriber of his for years. Enjoy his videos purely for entertainment. One of these days, we will run into each other because we both frequent similar airports.

I enjoyed Guido Warnecke's videos, but he hasn't posted a new one in over 9 months. https://www.youtube.com/user/okguido/videos

Guido is exactly how I believe a pilot should be... with some humor thrown in here and there.

Check out Dick Rochfort. Most of his material is PA-46 specific but excellent content even if your flying something else.
I have only watched one video of his. It was a short field landing and he floated and landed fast. How can I listen to someone who can't fly himself?
The Finer Points of Flying, by Jason Miller.

https://www.youtube.com/user/OnTheFlightLine
I enjoy his videos.

I met Josh at the AOPA Fly-In in COS. Really nice guy. A kid who's really excited about flying and wants to share it. Why's everybody gotta p!ss on him? Don't like the videos, don't watch.

I met Josh at the AOPA Fly-In in COS. Really nice guy. A kid who's really excited about flying and wants to share it. Why's everybody gotta p!ss on him? Don't like the videos, don't watch.

People ask for opinions, people give their opinions, don't like them, don't read them.

I'm sure he is nice, he doesn't seem to much real world experience, for someone who already is a pilot, not much value.

I purchased another of the booklets from the "best selling author". It was In Flight Emergencies. Can't remember the price, but it's a little paperback about 100 or 150 pages. LARGE double-spaced text. Second half of the book was a reprint of one of the FAA texts, either the AFH or PHAK. The amount of content he wrote in the book would probably fill a 3-page Word document using a normal sized font.

I guess it's ok that he used the PHAK because he said some time back that the FAA had asked him to rewrite the book, which he now markets on Amazon for double the price everyone else charges.

I cosign the don't like the videos? Don't watch them crowd! Give me some that you in fact DO watch and endorse and I will look at those.

Why on earth does it matter if it was professionally made or a kid with a gopro? You can probably learn something in any video. What to do and what not to do!

UND has a bunch of really well done videos. The reason the professionally created ones may be preferred is that they may be better designed with the intention of teaching vs. ones that just say "watch me do this". But whatever works for you works. Most of the stuff out there are simple demonstrations.

.....Why on earth does it matter if it was professionally made or a kid with a gopro?

It doesn't. My concern was someone, possibly a low time pilot (sorry I don't know what level the OP is at) watching these videos and actually thinking they were INSTRUCTIONAL, as the thread title suggests. U have every right to watch and enjoy this crap as much as I have to hate them.

It doesn't. My concern was someone, possibly a low time pilot (sorry I don't know what level the OP is at) watching these videos and actually thinking they were INSTRUCTIONAL, as the thread title suggests. U have every right to watch and enjoy this crap as much as I have to hate them.

Agreed!!:D

When are we going to see your videos?

Agreed!!:D

When are we going to see your videos?

I've posted several but it's been a while. I'll either dig one up or make a new one, but what I've learned is that vids of straight and level are pretty boring. Either scenery, good music or a story is the way to go (or a combination of those). Or, apparently if you're a really annoying kid spreading bad info, that's in high demand as well

UND has a bunch of really well done videos. The reason the professionally created ones may be preferred is that they may be better designed with the intention of teaching vs. ones that just say "watch me do this". But whatever works for you works. Most of the stuff out there are simple demonstrations.

Watched these a number of times.. Even post ppl when I was having some landing issues. Great videos.

I've posted several but it's been a while. I'll either dig one up or make a new one, but what I've learned is that vids of straight and level are pretty boring. Either scenery, good music or a story is the way to go (or a combination of those). Or, apparently if you're a really annoying kid spreading bad info, that's in high demand as well

I guess I'm on the outside looking in, I can watch a dull straight and level flying video. A lot of the music that people play I can do without but I tolerate it. It's flying for goodness sake...I love it!!

Back