youtube & copyright

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
You can post something on yt with a copyrighted song on the audio track and zing, they will yank it faster'n the strike of a mojave. BUT I can look all over there and find unLIMited tracks and videos of all sorts of music. What's up with that?

I had one of my videos yanked and then replaced with an attached 'advertisement' to buy the song in question. I was using the music as background for the video itself. I think it just depends on who holds the copyright for the music being used - some companies see it as free advertisement and will try to sell you the song via iTunes and some companies just don't want it out there at all.

This is the video that YouTube added the advertisement to:

A buddy of mine had his whole video yanked and told "NO!" until he pulled/switched the audio track.

Use Vimeo, they have better compression and they don't care what audio you use. Seriously, YouTube is the most popular but they are not the best.

What's up is YT doesn't want to get its socks sued off for facilitating copyright infringement on a massive scale.

lol chris that song made the video hilarious

lol chris that song made the video hilarious

What's really funny is if you read the comments about the video, how many fellow TerraGator drivers say "That song is perfect!". For some reason, that's the kind of music that you start humming at random times. ha

yea i remember coming up with some really wacky songs after droning along for hours on farm equipment. or in airplanes without intercoms when you are solo.

What's really funny is if you read the comments about the video, how many fellow TerraGator drivers say "That song is perfect!". For some reason, that's the kind of music that you start humming at random times. ha

What's the thing with the flashie lights on the leading edge of the hood?

Geoff "City Boy" Thorpe...

What's up is YT doesn't want to get its socks sued off for facilitating copyright infringement on a massive scale.

Reference on copyright law that prohibits the use of a copyrighted recording in a personal/home video?

Reference on copyright law that prohibits the use of a copyrighted recording in a personal/home video?

does putting a video on youtube which is essentially worldwide distribution really still keep it a personal/home video?

does putting a video on youtube which is essentially worldwide distribution really still keep it a personal/home video?

I would think so, but is there any specific law that defines otherwise? I wouldn't think so, as Youtube is merely a storage place for videos, akin to having a camcorder set up in your room that you allow friends to come watch.

I would think so, but is there any specific law that defines otherwise? I wouldn't think so, as Youtube is merely a storage place for videos, akin to having a camcorder set up in your room that you allow friends to come watch.

i would think of it more like putting your home videos on the projector at a movie theater, and not charging admission

i would think of it more like putting your home videos on the projector at a movie theater, and not charging admission

Also a possibile interpretation.

I dunno which way it'd go. The internet is a whole different ball of wax.

That is a public showing. If you are using copywritten material at your movie theater without a license to distribute then you are in violation. The accusation will be made that you have 'hurt the commercial value of the property owned by the copyright holder'. This ascertain is easily provable in court and lead you to having to pay damages.

It becomes a public performance, not "personal use". So, yes, it does violate copyright.

Provide a reference in copyright that permits you to do that...

Copyright gives the holder all rights to any reproduction of an artistic work, and said copyright holder gets to grant whatever rights he wants to to others, so you need to either provide a grant of license to do something, or find somewhere in the statute where it is expressly permitted, otherwise, it's infringement.

What's the thing with the flashie lights on the leading edge of the hood?

Geoff "City Boy" Thorpe...

That is a 'light bar' which is used for GPS guidance going across the field. Similar to shooting a GPS approach at ~20mph @ ~8' AGL at sub-foot accuracy. You set your first 'line' along a straight fence row, etc. After that, it automatically sets parallel 'lines' as you move across the field, each at a programmable distance from the previous one.

I will re-ask the original question.

I am asking why there are all sorts of (ostensibly) copyrighted songs on YT.

Look up your favorite artist. Probably will find a bunch of their songs on there. Try....Toby Keith, if you like him. I can find any number of artists and their songs are readily available.

But, if I were to post one, seems like they would nab it instantly.

What is the difference?

Look up your favorite artist. Probably will find a bunch of their songs on there. Try....Toby Keith, if you like him. I can find any number of artists and their songs are readily available.

What is the difference?

There are secrets and ways to post videos that contain copyrighted music that is not automatically caught by YouTube's filters.

Unfortunately, I can't post them publicly, because I fear that they'd be discovered and blocked.

It took a little bit of research. Generally, when something doesn't "Feel" like a copyright violation, its not. And I found the section that applies:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/usc_sec_17_00000107----000-.html

the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.

Comment and criticism. Boom.

What is the difference?

I think the difference is which record company the songs belong to. Some have finally come around to the "Hey, we could sell more digital music downloads if every one of our songs used in a YouTube video automatically had an iTunes/Amazon link added to it!" while the rest are still of the "Oh NO! If people actually LISTEN to our music, we'll LOSE MONEY!" camp. :rolleyes:

I think the difference is which record company the songs belong to. Some have finally come around to the "Hey, we could sell more digital music downloads if every one of our songs used in a YouTube video automatically had an iTunes/Amazon link added to it!" while the rest are still of the "Oh NO! If people actually LISTEN to our music, we'll LOSE MONEY!" camp. :rolleyes:

Kent's got it.

Copyright holders that don't want their content used join YouTube's Content Verification Program, which provides tools and automation to catch and remove copyrighted materials.

http://www.youtube.com/t/copyright_program

http://www.youtube.com/t/dmca_policy

Those videos that don't get removed haven't been griped about yet.

I think there's also a way to download the video and get the music off of it in order to avoid paying for it. Some guy was telling me about this. Things people do to save 99 cents. :rolleyes:

I think the "buy this song" links are a smart compromise. I've had more than one person ask me "Hey, what was that (copyrighted) music you used in that video? I liked that!" They might never have heard it were it not for my posted video.

Ultimately, despite the technical violation of copyright laws, this kind of "piracy" sells product. So I've never felt out of line using other people's music with my little creations.

So far, none of my YouTube audio has been touched... not sure how they filter it; if it's based on actually scanning the waveform (which is do-able and not very complicated), none of that stuff must be in the database they are using (yet).

It may also help that while I always give credit in the video itself, I don't mention it in the text of my description of the video (in case they are filtering based on text).

It may also help that while I always give credit in the video itself, I don't mention it in the text of my description of the video (in case they are filtering based on text).

Nope - I don't mention the song in the text at all, and I had one video get muted. Couldn't put in one of their "suggested" songs because the whole damn thing was synchronized with the audio. :mad:

Back