Yous pays your money, yous takes your chances

Gone Flyin

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gone Flyin
Had coffee with a buddy of mine, also a C150 owner. He has the L I have the M. On the way out to our cars I asked where he was off to. He took me over to his car, opened the trunk and showed me his plane's starter. Said it died and was taking it to an auto shop that repairs alternators. His A&P uses them. That's where he got the recommendation.

I was shocked. This was the same Delco piece of crap starter I had in my plane until a year or so ago. I say had because the one in my plane exploded upon shut down one afternoon. A clanking sound came from the engine compartment and everything came to a sudden halt. In trying to find out what happened I noticed my prop was locked. It would not move in any direction.

When I determined the issue was with the starter, I opened the side (there is a ring to access the brushes you slide back and off), this is what I found....

starter%201.jpg

... and this is what fell out onto the ramp.

starter%203.jpg

When I got it off and apart on the bench it was clear it was totally destroyed.

starter%202.jpg

As my A&P and I examined it to try and found out what had happened, the issue became clear. The clutch mechanism that connects the starter to the large gear at the back of the engine is suppose to spin free after the motor starts running. At that point it is disengaged from the starter.

In mine, that did not happen. The clutch locked up internally so the starter motor was spinning along with the engine during flight. Eventually, it gave up and just ripped itself to pieces from the heat and high speed.

I was lucky. It did not lock up in flight but did so upon shut down.

starter%204.jpg

I called several aviation repairers and not one would touch this starter. They all said they were a death trap and advised me to get a new Skytec. In the end, that's what I did. The new one is smaller, lighter, runs with way less current, so saves on battery drain, spins up faster, so my starts are quicker. It also is designed to re-track from the engine when it starts up so this issue can never happen.

Here it is on my C150.

starter%206.jpg

My friend was not interested in what happened to my starter. He found someone who will fix his for $85 and $85 sounds a lot better than $900 for a new one, so he will takes his chances.

BTW: I asked an A&P friend of mine about this issue with the starter. I told him I could not find an AD for it even though the reputable aviation repairers all knew it was bad news.

"AD" he said, with a laugh.

"That stands for After Death. Apparently no one has died from one, yet"

So, for all you folks out there that are getting your Delco starters, made for the Ford Model T, repaired for $85 by the auto shop...

That AD slot is still open.

The “ Key Start” system debuted about 1969.

It replaced the “ Pull Start “ that also had drawbacks.

Biggest one was if you pulled Control after engine started you would

do the “ Grind up a pound for me” to the gears when it engaged.

Next oil change the Tech finds ferrous particles and its Major Time.

There were mods to the engine of adding oil passages but I never did

like the system.

To be fair, if that's his original starter, then it did last well over 45 years. If the repair restores it to at least as good as when new... probably not his problem any more. That said, I question the legality of having it repaired by an auto shop. I know it happens frequently, but still.

To be fair, if that's his original starter, then it did last well over 45 years. If the repair restores it to at least as good as when new... probably not his problem any more. That said, I question the legality of having it repaired by an auto shop. I know it happens frequently, but still.

It’s legal as long as the installer (A&P) approves the repair and signs off the installation.

How many needless deaths will be caused by a starter motor before people stop ignoring the problem? I mean, what if there’s a zombie attack and he can’t start his engine to escape?

Airplanes are dangerous....

I rebuilt my Pull-type starter in our 150F due to slow starting (worn out brush). It was not hard, did it at annual, and the IA put it back on and we are good to go. Switching over this type of starter to the Skytec requires packing the open engine case with shop rags and cutting off part of a shaft using a dremel (or very small air cut-off tool). That is quite major surgery for a routine electrical motor repair (clean up stator, new bushings, and brushes). There are replacement clutch packs for them from Niagara Air Parts and I should probably get a new one of those after 45 years......mine did have one tiny tiny tiny little rough spot, or maybe it was just in my head. Hard to tell.

Had coffee with a buddy of mine, also a C150 owner. He has the L I have the M. On the way out to our cars I asked where he was off to. He took me over to his car, opened the trunk and showed me his plane's starter. Said it died and was taking it to an auto shop that repairs alternators. His A&P uses them. That's where he got the recommendation.

I was shocked. This was the same Delco piece of crap starter I had in my plane until a year or so ago. I say had because the one in my plane exploded upon shut down one afternoon. A clanking sound came from the engine compartment and everything came to a sudden halt. In trying to find out what happened I noticed my prop was locked. It would not move in any direction.

When I determined the issue was with the starter, I opened the side (there is a ring to access the brushes you slide back and off), this is what I found....

starter%201.jpg

... and this is what fell out onto the ramp.

starter%203.jpg

When I got it off and apart on the bench it was clear it was totally destroyed.

starter%202.jpg

As my A&P and I examined it to try and found out what had happened, the issue became clear. The clutch mechanism that connects the starter to the large gear at the back of the engine is suppose to spin free after the motor starts running. At that point it is disengaged from the starter.

In mine, that did not happen. The clutch locked up internally so the starter motor was spinning along with the engine during flight. Eventually, it gave up and just ripped itself to pieces from the heat and high speed.

I was lucky. It did not lock up in flight but did so upon shut down.

starter%204.jpg

I called several aviation repairers and not one would touch this starter. They all said they were a death trap and advised me to get a new Skytec. In the end, that's what I did. The new one is smaller, lighter, runs with way less current, so saves on battery drain, spins up faster, so my starts are quicker. It also is designed to re-track from the engine when it starts up so this issue can never happen.

Here it is on my C150.

starter%206.jpg

My friend was not interested in what happened to my starter. He found someone who will fix his for $85 and $85 sounds a lot better than $900 for a new one, so he will takes his chances.

BTW: I asked an A&P friend of mine about this issue with the starter. I told him I could not find an AD for it even though the reputable aviation repairers all knew it was bad news.

"AD" he said, with a laugh.

"That stands for After Death. Apparently no one has died from one, yet"

So, for all you folks out there that are getting your Delco starters, made for the Ford Model T, repaired for $85 by the auto shop...

That AD slot is still open.

Thanks for the heads up on that style starter.

They are called bendix gears and they are very common, even today.

Like others have said, it lasted 45 years and probably never had any maintenance done to it.

I bet there are thousands of Experimental out there flying with automobile Delcos. I haven't read a signal accident report on one.

I bet there are thousands of Experimental out there flying with automobile Delcos. I haven't read a signal accident report on one.

Like my AP friend suggested as the reason for no AD as yet.

No one has died.

Like my AP friend suggested as the reason for no AD as yet.

No one has died.

AD's are not predicated on fatalities. AD's do come about from SD's (Service Difficulty Reports) (see AC20-109A) as one source.

Back