your opinion

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
im a bit stuck. i did the tb-20 re-checkout so i am current again at the flight school. but to my surprise, i am not current in c172s. i just can't believe that, but ok. anyway, my ifr currency is good until the end of june. i am flying sunday. should i 1) get recurrent in the c172 and do some approaches, or 2) fly the tb-20 and get more familiar with that. the tb 20 is so expensive, esp with a cfii attached, but i am good to go solo. i dont feel comfortable enough to take it into imc yet, though, because i am cautious. i feel fine to take the c172 into imc, but i have to get re-checked out in it. bleh.

thanks for your opinions.

i know mr one-star will give me his star, but thats his problem.

sorry about the bad grammar, this isnt my computer and im tired.

Well Ben IMHO i'd get current in the 172 first since thats the plane your comfortable in. Then next weekend or so i'd go out in the TB-20 with a safety pilot and get comfortable in it.

Hope this Helps,
Dave G

Last edited:
im a bit stuck. i did the tb-20 re-checkout so i am current again at the flight school. but to my surprise, i am not current in c172s. i just can't believe that, but ok. anyway, my ifr currency is good until the end of june. i am flying sunday. should i 1) get recurrent in the c172 and do some approaches, or 2) fly the tb-20 and get more familiar with that. the tb 20 is so expensive, esp with a cfii attached, but i am good to go solo. i dont feel comfortable enough to take it into imc yet, though, because i am cautious. i feel fine to take the c172 into imc, but i have to get re-checked out in it. bleh.

Hmmm. Tough question.

Maybe take the TB-20 up and do approaches in it until you feel more comfortable, and then take the 172 up for the rest of your six?

I guess maybe a better question is... Which one do you plan to need solo next? Does getting current in one give you currency in more airplanes?

Rentals at the home drome aren't all too hard to keep current in. If you're current in the 172SP, you're current in the 172 and the 152. If you're current in the Arrow or the Dakota, you're current in the Archers and the Warrior. Of course, all of the above only apply if you've been checked out in those particular birds.

Go for the checkout in the Skyhawk and improve your IFR proficiency with a CFII. Then, take a friend checked out in the TB-20 as safety pilot and go practice in it under the hood. You'll get the proficiency you need on its system but less expense.

Strange, Ben. I've been told that flying the TB20 resets the currency clock for all the singles, assuming you'd completed a checkout in them. I just called in and that's what I was told.

Were you ever formally checked out in the 172s?

Last edited:
i was formally checked out in the C172.

sorry about the confusion--i am ifr current now, and very comfortable flying in imc in the c172. i would not be flying to regain ifr currency.

i would fly tb 20 just to get better at it, and the c172 to get in some approaches.

tim, i thought that was the policy. im confused as to why it would be otherwise. :(

It shouldn't be, and you should ask them. I literally just called them because I'm taking out the 182 and haven't flown it in a while. But since I flew the Trinidad, 172, and Seminole last month they say I'm OK.

Now what MIGHT have happened is that the screen came up and said you hadn't flown a 172 in 60 days. But if you tell them you flew the Trinnie recently, they should declare you ok on the 172. If they don't, ask to see one of the senior CFIs and find out what's going on.

The only time I'd been denied is when I hadn't rented a retract in 70-odd days. But I showed them my logbook showing I'd been flying the Trinnie as a safety pilot, so the flight was in another pilot's name, and they cleared me to go.

It shouldn't be, and you should ask them. I literally just called them because I'm taking out the 182 and haven't flown it in a while. But since I flew the Trinidad, 172, and Seminole last month they say I'm OK.

Now what MIGHT have happened is that the screen came up and said you hadn't flown a 172 in 60 days. But if you tell them you flew the Trinnie recently, they should declare you ok on the 172. If they don't, ask to see one of the senior CFIs and find out what's going on.

The only time I'd been denied is when I hadn't rented a retract in 70-odd days. But I showed them my logbook showing I'd been flying the Trinnie as a safety pilot, so the flight was in another pilot's name, and they cleared me to go.

OK, i just called them. jessica said i'm fine to rent C172s.

Back