Your government at work: NHTSA recall to make cars LESS safe

Re: Your government at work: NTHSA recall to make cars LESS safe

sigh

its a miracle i survived childhood. i sat in the front seat of cars, arms dangling out the window, without a seatbelt on. I even rode in the BACK of pickup trucks down the highway! Ive never worn a helmet on a bicycle, or while riding three and four wheelers. Did usually on snowmobiles, mostly to stay warm.

Amazing that I'm still alive after those years of driving around with no LATCH and airbag in the front seat....

Let's not even talk about playground equipment from the old days. If it was that dangerous, where did all these adults - errrrr - older people come from?

I tried to give my little brother astronaut training when he was 4 or 5 and I was 8 or so. Put him in the dryer on fluff. I would be downtown now. He didn't puke, so I gave him some Braniff wings.

Yuts these days just don't know what they're missing.

W.O'Boogie said:
Let's not even talk about playground equipment from the old days.

Playground? :rolleyes: We had a working farm barn as an indoor playground. I'm absolutely certain that perfectly healthy kids walking down the street simply fell over dead for no observable reason just so the law of averages would be happy with what we did in there and getting away with nothing more than getting winded really bad on occasion. We tried to keep from getting hurt but we pushed the limits of impact and mass vs energy dissipation and survivability fairly hard.

W.O'Boogie said:
If it was that dangerous, where did all these adults - errrrr - older people come from?

We're either the first or second generation of adults in that loop depending on how you look at it. How did enough of the kids of our time with the mentality to keep making the stupid safety rules survive the evolution process. They should all be dead by now. Was there a safe rubber room they kept a bunch of kids as an experiment?

Supervision, none, check.
Medical assistance, none, check.
Brakes, none, check.
Steering, none, check.
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excessive safety takes all the fun out of life. If you're not risking life and limb and don't end up with some pretty horrific scratches, you're not having any fun at all.

Yeah...Most of us make it through childhood. I've probably done a number of stupid things in the last few years that could have easily killed me. But I'm still here. The problem is...Eventually..someone does get killed. Now you have to ask yourself...Is the hassle of 'X' safety feature worth the benefit of preventing that one rare death of a child?

Sometimes adding another safety feature is worth it. Other times the money or effort it would take simply does not justify saving one rare life. It's easy for me to sit here and say that I don't think kids should have to wear a helmet, elbow pads, knee pads, a back protector, and a foam suit on a bicycle....But tell that to the parents of the kid that was killed and could have been saved by something above.

jangell said:
I've probably done a number of stupid things in the last few years that could have easily killed me.

Probably?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell
I've probably done a number of stupid things in the last few years that could have easily killed me.

tonycondon said:
Probably?

Well Tony, he is obviously not living life to its fullest. B)

jangell said:
Sometimes adding another safety feature is worth it.

Govm't Saftey features are not worth anything. The best saftey features are personal and parental responsibility! In my oppinion most of the 'saftey' features and rules are just keeping too may stupid people alive, weaking the gean pool.

jangell said:
But tell that to the parents of the kid that was killed and could have been saved by something above.

I want to meet to the parents who's toddler drowned in an open 5 gallon paint pail which lead to that stupid warring lable, and smack them upside the head then sterlize them becuase they really should not be repoducing.

Missa

Missa said:
Govm't Saftey features are not worth anything. The best saftey features are personal and parental responsibility! In my oppinion most of the 'saftey' features and rules are just keeping too may stupid people alive, weaking the gean pool.

I want to meet to the parents who's toddler drowned in an open 5 gallon paint pail which lead to that stupid warring lable, and smack them upside the head then sterlize them becuase they really should not be repoducing.

Missa
As I recall there were actually several hundred incidents of fatalites with that one. They discovered that toddlers are top heavy, they can easily trip into the bucket head first, and they can't get out - not that the mutli-lingual labels will prevent that.

mikea said:
As I recall there were actually several hundred incidents of fatalites with that one. They discovered that toddlers are top heavy, they can easily trip into the bucket head first, and they can't get out - not that the mutli-lingual labels will prevent that.

If toddler can drown in an inch of bathtub water, doesn't it make sense it could drown in a 5 gal pail of paint! DUH! They should have put the lid on the paint and kept the kid out of the room. Paint fumes (even from latex) are not good for toddlers either so they shouldn't even be in the room. If the parents are not smart enough to know that, then it's just less inferior genes in the pool. If the parents want to whine about their child dieing that way, they really should just be prosecuted for reckless endangerment because it's all their fault.

Missa

Missa said:
If toddler can drown in an inch of bathtub water, doesn't it make sense it could drown in a 5 gal pail of paint! DUH! They should have put the lid on the paint and kept the kid out of the room. Paint fumes (even from latex) are not good for toddlers either so they shouldn't even be in the room. If the parents are smart enough to know that, then it's just less inferior genes in the pool. If the parents want to whine about their child dieing that way, they really should just be prosecuted for reckless endangerment because it's all their fault.

Missa
It's not so much paint as people reusing the buckets for cleaning. A lot of toddlers die falling into cleaning buckets.

http://www.watersafety.org/new_page...ts and Toddlers Can Drown in 5-Gallon Buckets
http://www.lifesaving.com/news/news_articles/news1/news74.htm

mikea said:

We could go round and round on this. No matter what is in the bucket, a child can drown in an inch of water or less. So any liquid in a 5 gal pail which clearly is big enough for a child to put it's head in, is a danger. It's the parents responsiblilty to keep their child safe and having a container big enough for your childs head to fit in filled with liquid is a recipie for disaster. Keep the container smaller then your kids head, keep your kids away or it's your own fault and you will get no sympath from me.

Missa

While I do agree with most of the safety measures being applied to cars these days (air bags, seatbelts ect...). I have a '98 chevy PU (E-Cab)with a cutoff switch for the passenger side airbag. I have never heard of the "latch" system. I don't put my kid in the front anyway. If the article is correct in the way it was written Toyota should have been able to offer 1 child seat to each truck affected designed to use the seat belt for security. BTW when I was a kid I remember sleeping (unrestrained) in the back section of our station wagon with my brother and sister on long trips (I loved it when dad had to brake hard for the toll booth).

Speaking of children and cans of paint. :rofl:

Where the heck were these parents, and do you think this kid survive the evening? :dunno:

James Dean

Attachments

• This kids last day on earth.JPG
    This kids last day on earth.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 15
Back