Your Advice Regarding Flying With Other Pilots?

Californians don't talk funny.

I, like, don't know what you're talking about, dude.

Oh and it would be hella lame if there were no mountains.

Later bro.

Kimberly

You're right, if California didn't have mountains, it would have nothing going for it.

Depends on who you go flying with. Even going up with bad pilots has something to teach you as long as you understand how to evaluate the situation correctly.

It's a tough job - always being the bad example. But someone has to do it.

I just got an email from a 99 renting a 3-bedroom house in Mill Valley for $3,300 per month!

Yes, California is crazy expensive. The only cool thing about it is when I travel (which is never) I am not shocked by the cost of lunch or whatever in other parts of the US. Everything is cheap!

A friend of mine rents an apartment in DC for something around $3000/month.

You really need to travel more.

A friend of mine rents an apartment in DC for something around $3000/month.

You really need to travel more.

I haven't left CA in like five or ten years. I do need to get out more. I heard there was some fly-in at 6Y9 . . . that's pretty far from here.

I haven't left CA in like five or ten years. I do need to get out more. I heard there was some fly-in at 6Y9 . . . that's pretty far from here.

3M0 (that's a zero) is probably quite a bit closer... But still awfully far away.

Sooner or later, one of our west coasters will start a fly-in... Sheesh, we've got one in the midwest (6Y9), one in the middle (3M0), and two in the northeast (KLOM and WV62) but nothing out west. :dunno:

3M0 (that's a zero) is probably quite a bit closer... But still awfully far away.

Sooner or later, one of our west coasters will start a fly-in... Sheesh, we've got one in the midwest (6Y9), one in the middle (3M0), and two in the northeast (KLOM and WV62) but nothing out west. :dunno:

Yeah, but I don't show up at Gaston's anymore. Probably why attendance was way down this year. :rofl:

Red board has CA fly-ins.

Silly - I was just asking, I didn't expect you to look into real round trip airfares!

Funny, your 172 is close to what mine is ($98 per hour, wet).

The problem is getting there, getting the time off work, getting a hotel, rental car, meals, getting a dog sitter, etc. I don't think they would let me take even a week off. Oh, well.

It was just me thinking out loud. My plane (the 152) costs less than your plane so the only savings would be the CFI savings at $25 per hour. If I add up the airfare and the hotel and the meals and the (expensive) dog sitter then I may not save anything!

PM me if you move to California.

Kimberly

You're forgetting to calculate in the fact that doing it in two weeks would, without a doubt, take you fewer flight/instruction hours. Simply because you'd be flying more often and wouldn't lose skills between lessons. I promise you either that Ed or Jesse would make you an excellent aviator.

I've not been one of the countless people on this board that have jumped on the "fire your instructor" bandwagon throughout your various postings...but I will admit that as I've read your stories...it has crossed my mind that it seems like he's milking you a bit. I've never been a "you have to solo in X hours" kind of guy, but it sure seems like he's taking his time. I say this based on nothing more than anecdotal observation, so take it for what it's worth...but I did want to add that you may not be calculating all factors your cost calculations. :D

Yeah, but I don't show up at Gaston's anymore. Probably why attendance was way down this year. :rofl:
You would have thought attendance would be up becuase of that :D

So Kimberly when are you starting a East Coast fly-in:D

So Kimberly when are you starting a East Coast fly-in:D

I don't even know what a fly in is really and I've certainly never met any pilots other than through my 99s events. I think I'll go to the 6Y9 fly in first, figure out what equipment I need (apparently it involves hay and wagons and campfires) then I'll get back to you.

Kimberly

I don't even know what a fly in is really and I've certainly never met any pilots other than through my 99s events. I think I'll go to the 6Y9 fly in first, figure out what equipment I need (apparently it involves hay and wagons and campfires) then I'll get back to you.

Kimberly

If you plan on doing that you will probably have to fly into SAW (MQT on the travel sites) and someone can ferry you to 6Y9 as long as it is still daylight. 25 minute flight or so.

If you plan on doing that you will probably have to fly into SAW (MQT on the travel sites) and someone can ferry you to 6Y9 as long as it is still daylight. 25 minute flight or so.

Or I could go to that other airport (forgot the code) and rent a car and drive. I'll figure something out, it can't be that hard to get to!

Wow. Every few months I get restless and have to go somewhere. My husband is German and so we go to Europe frequently. I really want to go flying in Iceland. I found a flight school in Reykjavik. My parents went flying through Australia a few years ago, and had a great time. Although the Australian government made it a bit harder for foreign pilots, I've heard. My Dad has an Australian license now, but I think I could only get a temp, I'd have to check into it further.

Wow. Every few months I get restless and have to go somewhere. My husband is German and so we go to Europe frequently. I really want to go flying in Iceland. I found a flight school in Reykjavik. My parents went flying through Australia a few years ago, and had a great time. Although the Australian government made it a bit harder for foreign pilots, I've heard. My Dad has an Australian license now, but I think I could only get a temp, I'd have to check into it further.

I would love to go places but I don't want to brag about how every paycheck a girl makes in CA goes straight towards paying her apartment's rent. The financials are what keep me from going places!

I am so jealous that you have been out of the country (I haven't).

Kimberly

I would love to go places but I don't want to brag about how every paycheck a girl makes in CA goes straight towards paying her apartment's rent. The financials are what keep me from going places!

I am so jealous that you have been out of the country (I haven't).

Kimberly

I lived in the UK and Germany for the 1990s. But I grew up traveling frequently. My Dad was an airline pilot for Pan Am. He was based in JFK and flew routes to Europe and Japan, sometimes South America.

I think everyone should live at least one year in another country. You learn so much, and it changes your perspective on the world.

I lived in the UK and Germany for the 1990s. But I grew up traveling frequently. My Dad was an airline pilot for Pan Am. He was based in JFK and flew routes to Europe and Japan, sometimes South America.

I think everyone should live at least one year in another country. You learn so much, and it changes your perspective on the world.

Maybe one day I can live in another country. For now the closest I may come is going to Michigan for a hay ride . . .

Well Michigan is close to Canada.

I'd travel more but I feel guilty leaving my dogs.

Well Michigan is close to Canada.

I'd travel more but I feel guilty leaving my dogs.

Good point! So I can count this as almost being out of the country. And yeah, I will have to find a dog sitter for this one.

Kimberly

Back