You'll shoot your eye out

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Film director Bob Clark, best known for the holiday classic "A Christmas Story," was killed with his son Wednesday in a head-on crash with a vehicle that a drunken driver steered into the wrong lane, police and the filmmaker's assistant said.
Clark, 67, and son Ariel Hanrath-Clark, 22, were killed in the accident in Pacific Palisades, said Lyne Leavy, Clark's personal assistant.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/04/obit.clark.ap/index.html

Damn drunk drivers!

Damn drunk drivers!

Amen to that. A local college student here is in jail for hitting a police officer while driving at 3 times the limit after celebrating the Gators win. The officer died yesterday. Why won't people learn? sigh...:(

Amen to that. A local college student here is in jail for hitting a police officer while driving at 3 times the limit after celebrating the Gators win. The officer died yesterday. Why won't people learn? sigh...:(

Because the punishments don't fit the crime anymore. People get calloused wrists.

oh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudge

A year ago (April 1, 2006), a girl who was over by about the same amount left Club 231 because she heard that her boyfriend was at Shooters with some other female, drove that direction, hit a median bump near that club, lost control and slammed into the front of the building. There was a crowd outside. One woman, a local Elementary school teacher, was killed due to almost being cut in half. I believe at least one other person died from wounds they received. And all she gets charged with is 4 counts of Felony DUI.

http://www.hartsvillemessenger.com/City/060405_citydesk5.php

(Oh, and Club 231's response to the whole incident was essentially "We're shocked quite frankly because she only had two drinks on her tab.")

We used to have debtor's prisons how about drunkerd's ones?

And you could put the drunks in prison to work making beer to sell in municipal liquor stores (and the drunk's prison) to cover the cost of their incarceration.

Things have gotten a little better over the last couple decades though. In 1979 I was hit by a very drunk driver while I was sitting at a red light. Both cars were seriously damaged (my car was crushed from the rear bumper to about the middle of the back seat plus both front seats were torn loose and his front clip was pretty wasted along with his radiator and some engine components). He even tried to drive away from the scene but didn't get far with the damage he had. Another driver arrived at the accident, waited for the cops to arrive and told the officer that the other driver had been driving erratically at high speeds prior to the accident (she had pulled off the road to let him by on the four lane road). The drunk driver had no insurance either and that's illegal in MN. Now here's the amazing part: he was assigned fault in the accident but he didn't get a single ticket or so much as a wrist slap even though he was so drunk he stunk of alcohol and could hardly walk or talk coherently.

After a Gwinnett County cop was killed about ten years ago, they started tightening up things here. He had just finished writing up a DUI and was waiting for a tow truck to take away the vehicle. Along comes another DUI driver and rams the back of the patrol car, killing the officer.

In Georgia, it's not until a fourth DUI that it is an automatic felony. It should be on the second. And in my opinion, if you kill someone during a DUI it should be an automatic felony and the death considered felony murder subject to the death penalty. The second DUI should be an automatic one year imprisonment, no exceptions. The act of consuming too much is voluntary. If someone doesn't know how much they can handle they shoudn't be out drinking in public locations. Do it at home and STAY at home.

Last week, a woman had killed two people back in 2005 in a DUI accident. She pleaded with the judge her five-month-old son would also be a victim if she was sent to prison. The judge gave her five years and she'll do over four of it. That's pretty light. Her victims received life.

What I can't believe is when I see people are on their 4, 5, 6+, DUI arrest... That's just a head scratcher.

You think that's bad? Here's 2 fun dd stories (New Mexico is one of the worst states in the country for Drunk Driving):

Gordon House killed a family of 4 on Christmas Eve, being so drunk he drove down the wrong side of I-25 coming home from a bar. He claimed he had migrains that caused the accident. He also testified that he had 7 1/2 beers before leaving the bar (witnesses reported more than that). His testimony stated that the 7 1/2 beers had nothing to do with the accident.

He has 2 mistrials before he's finally convicted. I think he served only 2 or 3 years in jail and is back on the road !!!!!

The second involves a gentleman who claims his body naturally produces alcohol, and he was drunk because of it. He killed a family of 3 by hitting their broken down car that was parked off the shoulder.

He was acquitted, based on the alcohol producing claims.

NM started using ignition interlocks for convicted drunk drivers (its hard to get convicted in NM, btw). I can't tell you how many times, leaving bars, that I've seen kids blowing into the tubes for the father. They added a random driving check to the interlocks, used to prevent having somone else blow for you, but that doesn't work when your kid is sitting in the passengers seat.

The solution is extremely simple - unfortunately "human-rights" organizations won't let that happen...:(

1. Cancel the driving license of any person convicted of DUI (for 5 years minimum)
2. Confiscate the car for 3 months
3. Confiscate the car permanently if it's not the first DUI offense
4. If a person is driving with a cancelled license or without insurance - he gets 5 years in jail (without parole)
5. If a person kills another motorist while intoxicated - he gets 20 years in jail - no parole

Simple - effective

The solution is extremely simple - unfortunately "human-rights" organizations won't let that happen...:(

1. Cancel the driving license of any person convicted of DUI (for 5 years minimum)

People who drink and drive don't care. They just drive anyway. As for
confiscating the car .. often it's a family car and the only one. That
punishes someone not involved. Jail is the best option.

Back