You should fly VFR in the rain

Mopauly

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Paul Steklenski
if you haven't before. Last week, my 90 day renewal was coming up for a 2001 SP model Cessna 172 at my FBO that I don't fly often, mainly due to it's useful load and always being booked for flight training.

Occasionally, on my animal rescue flights, I've encountered areas of light to moderate precip; while conditions are still VFR, visibility is reduced and you gain an entire new experience and education for flying in these conditions.

While the weather was not optimal for my renewal flight, it was VFR with solid 4000' ceilings in light to medium rain as showers passed by. Nothing convective, and good visibility. Besides basic T/L, I did an engine out in the pattern, 3000' engine out spiral down, short field take off, soft field takeoff, then went to a practice area and did power off/on stall and steep turns, all around an hour.

I'm not advocating doing anything dangerous, but I think there is valuable education to be had flying in these conditions as long as it is legal and safe.

It's the only time my aircraft get washed. Good for removing bugs off of rotor blades as well. 400 kts of pressure washing. :)

Rain under the clouds is not IMC, and it's only dangerous if heavy (due to poor vis and maybe downdrafts), or below freezing.

I did my complex endorsement in the rain. Not a big deal.

I did my first solo in the rain on my 16th birthday. You're not gonna melt.
:)

There's rain I'll drive around, and stuff I'll go right thru. I suspect the OP had something similar to the 2nd pic. I love flying around & thru showers, as long as I can see well thru them. That one rain cloud went right down to the ground. My way home was right thru the middle so I hugged the edge. Times like that I pity folks on the ground that can't see what I see.4.JPG december.raindrops.JPG

image.jpeg We went around this one the other day. Northwest of Sacramento. It was dissipating very slowly and not moving much. No lightning, but it looks like some healthy downdrafts.

And if it's a composite or wood prop with no abrasion strip, you'll have an interesting sight on landing. Wish I would have taken pics of the erosion in my Catto when I flew through rain. Looked like mice had eaten the the leading edge of the prop.

this was during the flight renewal

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
image.jpeg this was the worst I've ever encountered on a rescue flight to NC. VFR, Patuxent controller was very helpful.

That is how I discovered where my water leak was coming from. Baggage compartment floor was getting a bit of moisture after a rain on the ramp...thought is was the baggage door seal which I had my A&P order a new one...until a flight through some precip and the TOP of the bags were wet...huh?...turns out rear window needed resealing as well!

My composite prop and rain don't go well together. My MT composite prop has been overhauled several times due to rain.

I have a metal edge on the composite prop, so that's not an issue. But, one of the leaks drips right into my lap.

I'll fly through rain depending on the plane, but I've also been in a rain shower that went instant IFR on me, so be careful.

Taken just a few weeks ago near Fort Collins. First time I ever flew through rain. No big deal. As long as you steer clear of the nasty looking clouds and thick walls of water, you will be just fine.

Passed through an area of precip on my long solo XC flight. Pretty scary for a n00b pilot

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This used to be a thing with me and students,
they call to say they figure we arnt flying, uhhhh why? Well it's raining, sigh... is it VFR, yes, does the plane know it's raining, nope, OK see you at our scheduled time.

This used to be a thing with me and students,
they call to say they figure we arnt flying, uhhhh why? Well it's raining, sigh... is it VFR, yes, does the plane know it's raining, nope, OK see you at our scheduled time.
Same here. Also for commercial multi and cfi students, I would just file ifr if it wasn't too bad and get out there to get some real ifr experience and any tasks completed that were possible. Great way to keep progress happening and build ifr confidence.

Back