You put the truck in park, right?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
July 1st, this year. Ontario Police Patrol (OPP) tried to launch their patrol boat. The Police Truck was still in gear when the officer got out, on the ramp...

127377.jpg

127378.jpg

And he couldn't even blame it on being a Monday... 7/1 was a Sunday!

The SUV was responsible. But, at least the boat was saved!

Not on 1 July either.

Here is a report form the 16 June about the incident
http://www.nugget.ca/webapp/sitepages/content.asp?contentid=574773&catname=Local News&classif=

According to a news release issued by the OPP, an officer and a summer marine assistant were in the process of removing a Sea Swirl OPP boat at the King's Landing marina when the incident occurred.

The marine officer backed the vehicle and the trailer onto the ramp. The officer then operated the vessel onto the trailer as the assistant was instructed to move the vehicle and trailer forward as trained.

The release stated the vehicle then rolled backward down the ramp instead.

brrrr!
We move one of the larger planes ($3.5M, 10000lbs) from the pump to the hangar with an ancient airport beater car... a Lincoln Town Car I think it is..... using a homemade towbar.
When disconnecting the tow bar, you have to leave the car and get out to pull the connector pin, and unscrew it from the nosewheel. Here is the trick: The transmission indicator on this stupid car reads one click off from the selected gear! Put it in R and that is actually N. Select N and that is actually D. A selection of 2 is actually D. You get the idea. You have to remember what the setup is and listen to the engine rpm drop/rise to know where you have it. (And you can't shut it down because it is hard to start.... also you need it in N and not P so you can get it off the towbar)

So there is a moment or two where you are outside the car, which is both running, and in "some gear other than park", that you have visions of 13000 lbs of this ugly car/beautiful airplane combination go careening down the slope, into the pasture! (yes I've encouraged the principles to correct this but...'they've done it this way for 8 years, why can't I?') Anyway, the pic reminded me of this vision.
I must figure something better out for this situation.

brrrr!
We move one of the larger planes ($3.5M, 10000lbs) from the pump to the hangar with an ancient airport beater car... a Lincoln Town Car I think it is..... using a homemade towbar.
When disconnecting the tow bar, you have to leave the car and get out to pull the connector pin, and unscrew it from the nosewheel. Here is the trick: The transmission indicator on this stupid car reads one click off from the selected gear! Put it in R and that is actually N. Select N and that is actually D. A selection of 2 is actually D. You get the idea. You have to remember what the setup is and listen to the engine rpm drop/rise to know where you have it. (And you can't shut it down because it is hard to start.... also you need it in N and not P so you can get it off the towbar)

So there is a moment or two where you are outside the car, which is both running, and in "some gear other than park", that you have visions of 13000 lbs of this ugly car/beautiful airplane combination go careening down the slope, into the pasture! (yes I've encouraged the principles to correct this but...'they've done it this way for 8 years, why can't I?') Anyway, the pic reminded me of this vision.
I must figure something better out for this situation.

Can you say, "Attractive nuisance" "Disaster waiting to happen?" STOP THAT!

I had a local shop work on the rear hatch on my minivan, among a lot of other things. At one point they tell me, "Well it works as long as you don't turn the key the wrong the wrong way...." I said, "Not gonna fly. I'm guaranteed that whichever way is the wrong way, that'll be the way I turn it." The end result is as I pick it up and they had worked on it for hours and hours, we discover that the hatch won't lock, which exactly why I had them work on it in the first place.

Last edited:
You'd be surprised how often that's happened.

I was riding with Fort Worth PD's AirOne helicopter once when we were searching Lake Worth for a missing boater. One of the police units pulled down a ramp to get a closer look at something floating in the water that we could see on FLIR, but couldn't tell what it was. The officer stepped on the brake to stop the car near the water, but the car kept moving forward. It turns out that the lake was down, and lots of slippery slime/algae was covering the lower half of the ramp and the car was just sliding over the top of it..right into the water. The overhead lights were still on when the officer bailed out of the car. The car kept right on going until it was fully submerged. I was amazed at how long those overheads kept working while it was under water. It was a cool effect watching from the air as those rotating lights danced around under water. :D

I know a game warden that lost his truck unloading a boat once too.

You'd be surprised how often that's happened.

I was riding with Fort Worth PD's AirOne helicopter once when we were searching Lake Worth for a missing boater. One of the police units pulled down a ramp to get a closer look at something floating in the water that we could see on FLIR, but couldn't tell what it was. The officer stepped on the brake to stop the car near the water, but the car kept moving forward. It turns out that the lake was down, and lots of slippery slime/algae was covering the lower half of the ramp and the car was just sliding over the top of it..right into the water. The overhead lights were still on when the officer bailed out of the car. The car kept right on going until it was fully submerged. I was amazed at how long those overheads kept working while it was under water. It was a cool effect watching from the air as those rotating lights danced around under water. :D

I know a game warden that lost his truck unloading a boat once too.

Reminds me of a drunk friend and a date at Lake Travis... kept driving down boat ramp *almost* into the water, then backing out.

Went a leetle too far, could not back out. Apply power, wheels spun, truck slid further into water. Apply brakes, truck stayed in position.

Told date, "keep you foot on the brake, I'm going for help"!

Took him about 20 minutes to rassle up a kindly soul with a tow strap. Date had fallen asleep. Truck was about 1/2 submerged, dates legs in water.

Bad day. Last date, too!

I know this is going to get me in trouble.... ;)

Was it a blonde driver? :D

Anthony, I'll probably need your help.... :yes:

I know this is going to get me in trouble.... ;)

Was it a blonde driver? :D

Anthony, I'll probably need your help.... :yes:

This reminded me of a funny story about my ex wife. I'll tell it because she is my ex. After that submarine surfaced off Hawaii into a Japanese fishing vessel, I was telling my wife about it. She is blond. She meant to ask me if it was one of our subs, but she instead asks me..."was it a Navy submarine?"

I just couldn't help myself and said "no, it was an Air Force submarine." :rofl::rofl:

Back