You are current and legal until...

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
You last flew with your CFII in November for 10 hours (and flew 6 approaches plus a hold and tracking) at which time he signed you off for the IR checkride. You start your checkride on January 31st, but only get through the oral as the weather prevents you from taking the flight portion. You get your letter of discontinuance which says you have to complete it within 60 days of January 31st. You complete the checkride on April 1st - exactly 60 days from the discontinuance.

You are legal to fly IFR until.....

PS: When did they change the training requirements from 3 hours of training within 60 days prior to the check ride to two calendar months?

October 31

i think they went to 2 calendar months from 60 days maybe last year when they did some re-writes and cleanups in part 61

October 31

i think they went to 2 calendar months from 60 days maybe last year when they did some re-writes and cleanups in part 61

Except with those "cleanups" 61.57(c) doesn't address the IPC it only addresses (e) as an exception. Or I should say that the IPC clause (d) doesn't say you are good for 6 months...

Last edited:
Good question. I've always understood that the checkride sets the currency clock, but I'll have to go looking through the FARs for "chapter and verse"...

well after looking through 61.57 there really isn't anything that explicitly says that. The only exception that would seem to apply is in 61.57(d) which only says (literal reading) that if you're more than 6 months out of currency an IPC is required. So it's necessary, but the paragraph doesn't explicitly say that it's sufficient to reset the currency clock. If it is, then an IR checkride should also count as an IPC since it tests the pilot to the PTS.

Surely there's an official General Counsel interpretation on this out there somewhere.

Last edited:
Um, May? Six months from the last six approaches and hold which were in November.

How many approaches would you have done on the checkride?

By a literal reading, you could conclude that an IPC doesn't reset the clock unless you do the 6++.

You last flew with your CFII in November for 10 hours (and flew 6 approaches plus a hold and tracking) at which time he signed you off for the IR checkride. You start your checkride on January 31st, but only get through the oral as the weather prevents you from taking the flight portion. You get your letter of discontinuance which says you have to complete it within 60 days of January 31st. You complete the checkride on April 1st - exactly 60 days from the discontinuance.

You are legal to fly IFR until.....

PS: When did they change the training requirements from 3 hours of training within 60 days prior to the check ride to two calendar months?

October 31:
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...0/interpretations/data/interps/2008/Wynne.pdf

The six calendar month period described in paragraph (c) begins when a pilot successfully completes his or her practical test. By passing the practical test, the pilot has demonstrated his or her instrument proficiency.

How many approaches would you have done on the checkride?

By a literal reading, you could conclude that an IPC doesn't reset the clock unless you do the 6++.

I was thinking that the six month clock starts running each time the six approaches/hold/tracking cycle is completed. But now that I think about it a little more I believe the six month clock starts running the first time upon passing the instrument checkride.

That's true. If you didn't understand the intent of the rule as expressed in the preamble to the NPRM, since neither paragraph (d) on IPC's nor paragraph (c) on currency says an IPC is an alternative to the 6HIT's for establishing currency, you might think that the IPC was merely additive to the 6HIT requirement if you went over 12 months, and that it had no direct effect on currency. If I ever go to work in AFS-810, I'll try to fix that.:D

But who does 6 approaches on an IPC?
People who need more than one try to get the approaches right. That's one nice thing about an IPC over a practical test -- if you blow one of the three required approaches the first time, the instructor can train you to proficiency on that same flight until you have it nailed down.

Back