Yoke mounted clip(board?)

ChrisK

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Toph
Now that I'm into IR training, I'm finding that keeping myself organized is becoming more of a challenge, and I would like to invest in a yoke mounted clipboard. I'm going to be using it primarily in 172s and 182s, but it would be nice to get something that I could adjust for a 152 (though not necessary as I most likely won't be flying IFR in a 152).

I was looking at the iPad mini clipboards and such, but I think at this point I want something that is simpler - approach plates and maybe some paper and a pen.

Anyone have a favorite or some pireps / advice?

I never used a yoke mount. Save a lot of bucks, and eliminate the chance of obscuring the flight instruments, by going to Staples (or the equivalent) and buying a clipboard/folder that has a pocket on the left and the clip on the right. Stick the the LO charts you are going to right into the pocket, clip a scratch pad on the right, and stick the approach plates you plan to use under your right thigh....the titles will be readable. When you need a plate, wiggle the one you need out of the pile and clip it to the scratch pad.

Bob Gardner

I never used a yoke mount. Save a lot of bucks, and eliminate the chance of obscuring the flight instruments, by going to Staples (or the equivalent) and buying a clipboard/folder that has a pocket on the left and the clip on the right. Stick the the LO charts you are going to right into the pocket, clip a scratch pad on the right, and stick the approach plates you plan to use under your right thigh....the titles will be readable. When you need a plate, wiggle the one you need out of the pile and clip it to the scratch pad.

Bob Gardner
I'll look into that. I have a small low tech kneeboard right now, but the flappy folder seems like a good idea. I will go to Staples tonight and see if I can find a small form factor clipboard that is roughly kneeboard sized that meets your description. I might even be able to put some holes in it and slip some elastic + velcro through there.

Eventually I think I will want a clipboard that can fit an iPad in the left side, but for now it is overkill (especially since I can't use the iPad until after I'm instrument rated =) )

During my VFR cross countries, I'd take pages that had destination info on them and toss them in the back when I was done with them. I guess I can do the same thing during IR training, but it just felt sloppy to me...

When I was doing my IR training, I had three things:

1. A tri-fold kneeboard that held a pad of paper, and I could slip the low-altitude enroute chart in the side pocket. However, I usually pre-folded it for my route or area, which would make it square or rectangular, and therefore it would just be loose.

2. Enroute chart - see above.

3. Bound approach plates. The FAA looseleaf ones were worthless, even with the fancy Sporty's binder, because the holes were drilled so close to the edge of the paper, just looking at them made them tear through the holes.

With the bound plates, they were awkward when doing procedure after procedure after procedure for practice, but more practical when just doing an IFR flight, when you had a chance to find the new plate before you right on top of the next procedure.

The only down side is I don't think they make a binder clip big enough to hold the whole approach plate, at least the Illinois/Wisconsin book. More than once, including during my checkride :redface:, the binder clip broke and the arm went flying. :nonod:

Here is what I ended up doing. The Velcro elastic band is just superglued for now...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367882262728.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367882262728.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 55
Jepp makes a spiral notebook (light blue color) that is slightly larger than the plates themselves and will hold copies of all the plates you need for training. Two plates of any brand will fit back-to-back in each plastic divider, as will all of the associated procedures for two-three airports. Just insert the materials for the airports you will be using for training and stuff it in the side pocket. When you need it, just flip it open to the desired procedure and put it on your lap, no need for clips and stuff.

The pilot shops carry a little clip mounted on a short post that will attach to the yoke shaft or assembly just forward of the yoke itself by use of a (provided) heavy rubber band. Clip a small tablet there and you can write to your heart's content. The little spring pencil holders will usually mount easily under the glare shield, so you can carry several in the event you lose one under the seat.

Good ideas Thank you. I've considered mounting things with suction cups to the glare shield.

One of the best instrument pilots I've flown with used a standard 8.5x11 Masonite clipboard situated sideways on his lap with a small notepad clipped under the clip which was to the left, and he used a big binder clip to attach the NOS book to the right side. It was a pretty efficient setup...and cheap!

I use a simple knee board to write things down on, and one of those clear plastic bendy clip things (look at sportys or some such place) that latch onto the yoke tube and have a clear plastic clip on the other end. I hang the approach plate on the one in front of me and I also keep one on the other yoke for an airport diagrams, etc. Easy Peasy.

I set up my plates etc. in that good old Plastic Green Covered IFR Flight File Organizer with the sleeves and tabs for various segments of the flight (departure/destination/alternate/other) and keep that next to me if no one else is in the plane, or since I have shoulder belt holders up over the doors in the 172, I use the empty holder some times to stash things where I can easily retrieve them. YMMV

Last edited:
This thing?

http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/8752

6604a.jpg

I attached the aforementioned staples clipboard to my yoke. I still have it even though I now rarely have any paper in the cockpit. I also still fly with a pencil hanging on a string around my neck. Some habits can't be broken.

Attachments

• door steward.jpg
    door steward.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 34
Due to the way the yoke is positioned in my plane, it's not a real convenient place to mount much other than the stop watch. I use the knee board. I tried clipping one of sporty's heavy duty gooseneck clips to the glareshield, but it ends up vibrating enough that the plate is unreadable.

In practice, my wife is almost always holding the IPAD following through on the georegistered plates there while I've got chartview up on the MX20.

Back