Yoke / Dash / iPad Mini Mount for C172

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
Any advice out there on a good iPad mount for 172? I thought I had a brilliant solution...use Velcro to put on the right panel. But it's too hard to see and use there.

Any Yokes or other mounts work particularly well in a 172? There just isn't much room up front!

Thanks for any advice!

This is a mount I got from Sportys and is the Ram-x Grip mount for Ipad Mini. I wanted a different mount but they were all back ordered at the time and I wanted something for a trip so I got this. I like the placement and size a lot but I don't care for the Grip syle holder all that much.

Any advice out there on a good iPad mount for 172? I thought I had a brilliant solution...use Velcro to put on the right panel. But it's too hard to see and use there.

Any Yokes or other mounts work particularly well in a 172? There just isn't much room up front!

Thanks for any advice!

The RAM suction mounts work pretty well. Here's the setup I flew with this weekend...full-sized iPad on pax side, Nexus 7 (could be an iPad Mini) on pilot side. Worked well.

Attachments

• Tablets_in_C172_web.jpg
    Tablets_in_C172_web.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 223
Thanks, Fly-Fla....just ordered this one...looks like it will do the trick!

Ram x-grip. I like it because it works with a case. No removing the ipad mini from a case to install on the yoke.

DSC00600.jpg

Our new release Universal Tablet Holder fits any size iPad, so you don't have to buy a new mounting system every time you change tablets. Or have it stuck in portrait or landscape all the time.

Plus, if you already have any of the Ram mount parts for your yoke, or the suction cup, ours screws right into it.

I hope you find what you need. The website link is in my signature. :)

The 'RAM-HOL-TAB12U' fits my iPad mini fine with the OtterBox Defender on it, probably the largest case most are likely to have. Access to the charging port is a little tight. I tend to under-mount the RAM arm and bring it up from below, in the 182 it's usually 3 arm segments(1 mid length and 2 short) with double-ball connectors, in the 172 it tends to be 2(both mid length). No photos but a search on Youtube with my username will find some videos of other tablets in the cockpit.

I use the RAM X-Grip as well and recommend it highly - you can save 50% of the price and get free shipping by shopping around a little bit - Sportys charges retail. I think I paid $20 for it from some outfit in Nevada . . .

You can use one of those things if you want, but after two years flying with an iPad, I'm happy just keeping it loose and laying it on my leg/kneeboard when in use, and on the right seat or center console when not.

You can use one of those things if you want, but after two years flying with an iPad, I'm happy just keeping it loose and laying it on my leg/kneeboard when in use, and on the right seat or center console when not.

I have the opposite take, I bash my current kneeboard on the yoke in a 172 often enough I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want it mounted somewhere where it's not in the way and can't slide around. I'd have destroyed several tablets by now if I had them on my leg. Admittedly I did just buy a leg mount for my current RAM cradle, but that's for the side-stick airplane I just checked out in since there's not a whole lot of other places for it.

I use the RAM yoke mount for my mini iPad in the Tiger and it works great. My checklist, charts and airport info right where I need it.

Im going to order one of these I think and jack the new ipad mini I got for my wife as its been sitting there for 2 months unused

I'd like to get one as soon as I find a deal on the ipad mini. I have the original ipad, and IMO it's too big to mount on the yoke.

I have the opposite take, I bash my current kneeboard on the yoke in a 172 often enough I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want it mounted somewhere where it's not in the way and can't slide around. I'd have destroyed several tablets by now if I had them on my leg. Admittedly I did just buy a leg mount for my current RAM cradle, but that's for the side-stick airplane I just checked out in since there's not a whole lot of other places for it.

:yeahthat: Plus I don't want to be putting my head down in my lap on an approach, which is why the side window works well for me.

There's not much window in a 152 and i do like the idea of just having it on your lap or something I feel the yoke mount maybe in the way or ruin my feel but I'm getting one to see and it looks like it doesn't ruin the feel or usage of yoke.. What do u think bring it and ipad on check ride?!

Personally, the reason I use the RAM stuff is it's modular, so instead of $X for a mount that will just work in some Cessnas, I have a bunch of components that can mount an iPad to a Yoke, or add a suction cup and mount it to the window, or add a seat rail mount, or a leg strap, or stick it in the car.

As of a year and a half ago, here's what I had accumulated:

http://sdwflying.blogspot.com/2011/12/ram-tablet-mounts-and-hp-slate-2-review.html

Now I've added suction cups, a mount for my little Sony camera, a couple other different sized tablet mounts and some other stuff.

Thanks, members! Ram X Grip Rocks!

Thanks to Fly-Fla and others on this thread...bought the Ram-x Grip pictured above and took it on a long cross country today. Worked like a charm!

I actually found it works better to mount it on the passenger Yoke and angle it a bit. That way, it doesn't block anything. My passenger thought it was kinda' cool.

If you haven't yet, take a look at the Xavion app. It plots a course to the nearest airport for "engine out" scenarios, based on the characteristics of your plane. I engaged it throughout the flight and it looked accurate, though I didn't try the decent as others have. Might not be perfect, but another set of "eyes" (even if they are an app) to help you if the unthinkable happens is a great thing! :yes:

Thanks to Fly-Fla and others on this thread...bought the Ram-x Grip pictured above and took it on a long cross country today. Worked like a charm!

I actually found it works better to mount it on the passenger Yoke and angle it a bit. That way, it doesn't block anything. My passenger thought it was kinda' cool.

If you haven't yet, take a look at the Xavion app. It plots a course to the nearest airport for "engine out" scenarios, based on the characteristics of your plane. I engaged it throughout the flight and it looked accurate, though I didn't try the decent as others have. Might not be perfect, but another set of "eyes" (even if they are an app) to help you if the unthinkable happens is a great thing! :yes:

I am for sure going to get that app all the extra help in the air the better!!

The most unique mount you'll find for the mini is the iPro Navigator. It includes an articulating clipboard that swings up to act as a glare shield for your iPad. The mini slides in from the top very easily - leave the mount attached and take your mini with you when you exit.

We are also now marketing the Naked Navigator. It is the same iPro Navigator cradle, but without the clipboard. All the Navigator mounts use standard RAM hardware so you have all the options (yoke, window, etc.). See them at www.ForPilotsOnly.com.

All iPro kneeboards and mounts come with our "Forever Guarantee". If your kneeboard or mount is ever damaged, even if it's your fault, we'll repair or replace it for free. Forever.

ipad-yoke-mount-G1000.jpg

Last edited:
I'm happy just keeping it loose and laying it on my leg/kneeboard when in use./QUOTE]

I'm with Ron. I fly everyday as a Flight Instructor. I have my ASA kneeboard on my right knee and my iPad2 or Mini laying on my lap. I could easily raise it up and show my instrument student the approach plates when using Foreflight.

If you dont have a case for your ipad, it's worth taking a look at the Zoogue ipad cases. They very nice looking cases.
http://www.zoogue.com/ipad_cases/

All the best,
Darren

I've been looking at this one for a while now:
http://www.ipadyokemounts.com

Kinda pricey, but seems less bulky than a ram yoke mount with cradle.

That's the one I just asked about seems so expensive for what it is its like a real cheap made out item I don't know where that price comes from? I want to order something asap just not sure maybe just going with a ram and yoke mount is the way to go its expandable just don't want to block anything that would bother me.. Maybe ill go with this pricey ipadyoke mount just seems so cheaply made and simple.

That's the one I just asked about seems so expensive for what it is its like a real cheap made out item I don't know where that price comes from? I want to order something asap just not sure maybe just going with a ram and yoke mount is the way to go its expandable just don't want to block anything that would bother me.. Maybe ill go with this pricey ipadyoke mount just seems so cheaply made and simple.

It seems like it would be easier to use than the ram mount because its jut one piece. Since I rent, it might be better than lugging around a ram mounting system, but the price is the reason I still don't have it.

The mount I have was $59 I think. Once you get the articuating points set and tightened up you don't have to re-adjust them each time. You just losen the screw which tightens on the yoke shaft to pull the entire unit off. I add and remove mine every flight because my partners don't use an Ipad in this plane and it's no big deal.

And the ram is interchange for planes cessna and piper the ipadyokemount company is only for cessna they are Nice but way over priced and can't use with other planes I hope to try a low wing soon

"

I am one of the two pilot/builders of ipadyokemounts. I think you'd all be surprised if you had one in your hand and thought about what has to go into them. I'd like to point out there are lots of opinions expressed in this thread but not one of you has tried one. They're not cheap, they are very well made, and they really work well. A lot of pilots love them. They are pretty uncompromising in their performance because each ipadyokemount is specifically designed for a Cessna yoke style from 1972 and newer.

Imagine what it costs to get a design finished including multiple prototypes, and then get a two piece custom bracket laser cut out of aviation grade aluminum, formed, and powder coated. Then add that work to a cradle, hardware, foam padding, velcro, and sewn straps. Then get that all hand assembled, including aviation grade rivets. Good grief. We build them in Marysville CA, not China. And again, we build them specifically to a yoke style. They are deliberately not "universal".

If one of you likes what you see in the design and is willing to report on their experience in this thread with an ipadyokemount on a 1972 or later Cessna 172, please go to the website and contact us with your interest. We'll provide one to the best sounding candidate for free in exchange for some accuracy in describing what the ipadyokemounts are about and how well they work.

We also give excellent one-on-one service. How about that?

And remember: We build them specifically to optimize the position of the iPad or Mini on each yoke style. For some of you that have struggled or compromised, that might be something to think about in judging value.

Please visit the web site to contact us: www.ipadyokemounts.com

And the ram is interchange for planes cessna and piper the ipadyokemount company is only for cessna they are Nice but way over priced and can't use with other planes I hope to try a low wing soon

Have you tried the iPadyokemount personally? I'm wondering what is cheap about it and how you determined it is overpriced?

90 something dollars for some plastic and velcro straps its not something so crazy and so much engineering I think it's way overpriced

I use the RAM X-Grip as well and recommend it highly - you can save 50% of the price and get free shipping by shopping around a little bit - Sportys charges retail. I think I paid $20 for it from some outfit in Nevada . . .

Where did you find it for $20!? Haha. Can't find anything for less than like $50...

I use a ram mount,mounted to the side of windscreen,with full IPad,works great.

I have a 10.1" Samsung tablet and nobody makes mounts specific for them, only ipads. I ended up going with the RAM TabTite holder which works awesome, and got a couple different length arms and the claw style clamp for the yoke. I think a full size tablet is just too big for the yoke though, as it blocked some instruments in both planes I tried it in. Ended up getting a suction cup mount and moved it up to the passenger side windscreen which is much better. That's one nice thing about the RAM mounts, you can get a bunch of different pieces to fit in all sorts of different ways.

Think I'm gonna borrow my moms 7" tablet this week and see how it fits on the yoke. I like that location, and think that'll be small enough to not block other things.

Back