Yikes!

scottd

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
scottd
Not looking good for the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast early next week. This chart is valid on Tuesday mid-morning.

Yikes.gif

Last edited:
As long as it isn't snow :) Too early for that stuff. My town is to the west of the lighter green...

Doesn't look like I'll be breaking the 4-hour mark of solo time in Western PA early next week without exceeding my wind and VFR limitations...:no:

The airlines and traveling public should PLAN for this.

On another non-aviation forum I visit, some of the weather-heads there were saying last week that this thing looked like it could turn into a 'snow-hurricane'. Is that still (or was it ever) in the cards?

From HEF airport management:

Attention Airport Tenants,

In preparation for Hurricane Sandy, we are advising tenants to secure or stow any outside equipment. Aircraft parked on your ramp that are under 12,500 pounds are required be tied down. Larger aircraft should be chocked and/or secured. Also, any items that could come loose during high winds should be stowed or secured. This includes, but not limited to, traffic cones, chocks, fire extinguisher covers, trash cans, tow bars, etc.

Hurricane Sandy will have impacts beginning Sunday night through Tuesday. It will be a long-lasting storm with heavy rain, flooding, and gusty wind. The wind is projected to pick up this weekend with winds on Sunday at 15-25 mph and winds Monday at 30-40mph with higher gusts. Current models forecast Sandy to make landfall mid Monday to early Tuesday morning. Be safe and plan accordingly

I don't care. I'm flying Tuesday morning no matter what. FDK-OXB. They have great pancakes there.

a5e4atyh.jpg
I think this is what is going to happen.

Hey, I live under that bubble! Honestly, not worried. However, if people are going to get snow, they better get enough that I can have a ski day!

Thanks for the update Scott. I am on the Chesapeake right by the mouth of the Potomac. We should be on the weak side of the storm but expecting a lot of rain. Hoping the wind direction keeps the storm surge minimal, that is the biggest issue

Daughter is getting everything inside and stocking the shelves. They are on the coast just south of Boston. Looks like a D.C. Hit And up through Penn State will keep eastern Mass in the clear. But these storms always change directions.

Not looking good for the family condo in Ocean City, MD. It's second floor and about a block back from the beach.

Last edited:
I don't care. I'm flying Tuesday morning no matter what. FDK-OXB. They have great pancakes there.

Better have some thing faster than a Skyhawk/PA28. You'll get blown backwards in one of those with 100-110kt 850mb winds!

Back