Yet another Tug post....recommendation and WTB

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
All

The plane (SR-22) we made an offer and the purchase was accepted is going into pre-buy. We will need a tug. So this post has two parts:

1. Any recommendations for a tug for the 22?

2. Any one have a tug for sale? Closer to Illinois the better.....

Thanks!

Arthur

847-962-9311

Have you tried just using a tow bar, the cirrus isn't really that much airplane when it comes to a tug vs just pulling it out :dunno:

Lot less $$$ and complexity too

I had a columbia 350 that is probably comparable to the cirrus. I could get it out of hanger by myself, barely. No way I could get it in by myself. I have a tug that go's under the tire and picks nose wheel up. Has blocks to clamp on tire with little lever. Worked good. Have an even heavier plane now. Doesn't work very well for it. Not enough power. I can't even rock it with hand towbar. Little electric tug worked good though.

Last edited:
If you've got room in your hangar, maybe consider a golf cart? Should be enough to pull a Cirrus easily, while having some utility around the airport to boot. Just add a hitch ball to the cart, and you're golden. Bet you could find a decent used golf cart of Craigslist for less than $1000.

Tugs prevent the tardbucket move of "getting a run at it" by hand and hitting hangars...

If you've got room in your hangar, maybe consider a golf cart? Should be enough to pull a Cirrus easily, while having some utility around the airport to boot. Just add a hitch ball to the cart, and you're golden. Bet you could find a decent used golf cart of Craigslist for less than $1000.

I know its an old post, but I was in the same place and wanted a power tug for my Bonanza So I budgeted $1700 for a new one. (full fuel with the snow bump to go over in winter is a no go solo)

But then I saw my AP moving planes around with an electric golf cart so I found this on craigslist for a few bucks more than the new tug and now we have a tug AND potty transportation to the FBO before and after flights.

Needed no modifications, golf carts have a bracket installed for towing with a 1/2 dia hole and the tow bar I purchased had a yoke with a 3/8 hole so a 3" drive socket extension works as the perfect hitch pin.

Attachments

• IMG_0037.JPG
    IMG_0037.JPG
    786.3 KB · Views: 80
One of the most expensive and the most awesome tow is what I have-

Redline Sidewinder

Sidewinder.jpg

The best thing about it is, it collapses down and you can take it with you. It only weighs 21 lbs all in.

Sidewinder-Breakdown.jpg

I guess the one for the Cirrus is a little bigger, bulkier and slightly heavier. Here's more info on it-

https://www.redlineaviation.com/cirrus/sidewinder-cirrus-aircraft/

I know its an old post, but I was in the same place and wanted a power tug for my Bonanza So I budgeted $1700 for a new one. (full fuel with the snow bump to go over in winter is a no go solo)

But then I saw my AP moving planes around with an electric golf cart so I found this on craigslist for a few bucks more than the new tug and now we have a tug AND potty transportation to the FBO before and after flights.

Needed no modifications, golf carts have a bracket installed for towing with a 1/2 dia hole and the tow bar I purchased had a yoke with a 3/8 hole so a 3" drive socket extension works as the perfect hitch pin.

In addition to golf carts, I always thought an old used ATV would make a great tug that would also be fun around the airport. Something like this 2001 Honda I found on my local Craigslist for $1800

00Z0Z_7TaLSxCynt4_600x450.jpg

In addition to golf carts, I always thought an old used ATV would make a great tug that would also be fun around the airport. Something like this 2001 Honda I found on my local Craigslist for $1800

Too little weight and way too many $$

Get a used lawnmower for $50 preferably hystat. Add weight.

Redline Sidewinder

Sidewinder.jpg

The best thing about it is, it collapses down and you can take it with you. It only weighs 21 lbs all in.

Sidewinder-Breakdown.jpg

I guess the one for the Cirrus is a little bigger, bulkier and slightly heavier. Here's more info on it-

I love the Sidewinder, and you can build them for a reasonable price out of pawn shop parts mostly.

Redline Sidewinder

Sidewinder.jpg

Sidewinder-Breakdown.jpg

I looked at those and loved the idea I could take it with me, especially grass strips.
But then I re-visited the winter conditions at my airport with a 3000lb airplane.
A few other seasoned pilots here have to put chains on a single wheel power tow tug just to get the planes over the ice and snow into the hangar. So I came to the conclusion a friction wheel against my nose wheel might not work well in the winter (I understand their power tow is direct drive to the ground and not to the wheel).

I have also been told I will probably need to put chains on my golf cart when the taxiway is ice (about 70% of the winter)

https://vimeo.com/116204316

https://video.search.yahoo.com/vide...mozilla-001&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=mozilla&tt=b

The nose wheel has the engine over it which helps traction a bunch. However I would suggest you get in the plane and fly it to where snow and ice aren't a concern and spend the winter there. :D

Do you have a link to a material list or instructions?

No, the materials are a skateboard wheel, a battery powered angle drill is easier than shaft driving a Sawzall, a couple of sprockets and bicycle chain. You build a frame that allows you to lever down the skateboard wheel on the nosewheel, you attach a sprocket to the skateboard wheel and use the bicycle chain to drive it from a sprocket driven by the drill on the other end of the frame.

Too little weight and way too many $$

Get a used lawnmower for $50 preferably hystat. Add weight.

Did you miss the part about having fun around the airport? I am certain an ATV has plenty of weight to move a Cirrus. If you can pull it with your hands, you can pull it with an ATV.

I fully agree, it is not the cheapest option out there.

I looked at those and loved the idea I could take it with me, especially grass strips.
But then I re-visited the winter conditions at my airport with a 3000lb airplane.
A few other seasoned pilots here have to put chains on a single wheel power tow tug just to get the planes over the ice and snow into the hangar. So I came to the conclusion a friction wheel against my nose wheel might not work well in the winter (I understand their power tow is direct drive to the ground and not to the wheel).

I have also been told I will probably need to put chains on my golf cart when the taxiway is ice (about 70% of the winter)

https://vimeo.com/116204316

https://video.search.yahoo.com/vide...mozilla-001&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=mozilla&tt=b

Agreed. I have never tried it, but I am positive it would suck in the snow. I think the best option for people unfortunate enough to live in these places is to do the winch attached to the hangar trick, or a tow bar attachment to the front of your truck. A Jeep with it's short wheelbase would work nicely.

Last edited:
Back