Yet another question from me

ChrisRikli

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
I've been window shopping for planes and some of the listings I see, especially those for Debonairs/Bonanzas mentioned 'additional soundproofing.'

Anyone have any knowledge as to how effective this measure is?

Depends on what it is. If it's in the form of thicker windows, you do get a fair improvement in noise attenuation. High density foam sidewall insulation doesn't do much to make it quieter.

Isn't that the aviation equivalent of undercoating and rust proofing?
Not if you had a Mooney when the AD came out requiring you to do it. The batting retained moisture that would cause corrosion in the steel cage, whereas the foam was cut around the steel.

Not if you had a Mooney when the AD came out requiring you to do it. The batting retained moisture that would cause corrosion in the steel cage, whereas the foam was cut around the steel.

OK, but the OP said "Debonairs/Bonanzas mentioned 'additional soundproofing"

I though the Debs were the lower end Bos, and the Bos had soundproofing already.

Debs are the early version of the straight-tail Bo.

+1 And some of the fancy soundproofing is heavy as well. Noise (and cold air) around the edge of the door was always more problematic to us, especially after everyone started wearing headsets.

No effect at all if you wear noise ANR headsets.

On the planes I fly, the biggest noise factors are the big leaks. The Aztec's door needs sealed something awful. That should get done before winter hits...

I've been window shopping for planes and some of the listings I see, especially those for Debonairs/Bonanzas mentioned 'additional soundproofing.'

Anyone have any knowledge as to how effective this measure is?
Depending on the material and effort I'd say the effectiveness ranges from none to slight, if you're talking about putting sound absorbing material on the inside of the cabin skins. There are aftermarket windows which are thicker than the originals and do attenuate noise some, but generally even the best combination of these products will produce a barely noticeable improvement.

BTW, if you want to learn more about Bonanzas (and Debs) you should check out www.Beechtalk.com a forum similar to this one that focuses on Beechcraft with Bonanzas and Barons being the most common subject aircraft. There's a wealth of knowledge and experience there, I'll be you'd find half a dozen or more Bonanza owners who've installed "additional soundproofing" and would respond with their experiences.

Depending on the material and effort I'd say the effectiveness ranges from none to slight, if you're talking about putting sound absorbing material on the inside of the cabin skins. There are aftermarket windows which are thicker than the originals and do attenuate noise some, but generally even the best combination of these products will produce a barely noticeable improvement.

BTW, if you want to learn more about Bonanzas (and Debs) you should check out www.Beechtalk.com a forum similar to this one that focuses on Beechcraft with Bonanzas and Barons being the most common subject aircraft. There's a wealth of knowledge and experience there, I'll be you'd find half a dozen or more Bonanza owners who've installed "additional soundproofing" and would respond with their experiences.
Rogerwilco. Thanks gismo!

Hi Chris,

As others have noted, there is a noticeable but really not "mind-blowing" difference in the sound proofing. The A36TC I fly has a thicker windscreen and of anything thats where I noticed some improvement. The Debby doesn't even need it IMO.

No effect at all if you wear noise ANR headsets.

+1. The DA40 is amazingly quiet, but I didn't even notice until someone else pointed it out and I took my headset off.

The fact that an airplane that's practically all glass can be so quiet should tell you that you don't need insulation to make an airplane quiet.

Speaking of which - Does anybody know why the DA40 is so quiet? Do composites not translate the vibrations as well as metal? Did Diamond do something to the engine mounts to avoid it in the first place? Is it the exhaust? Did they just do a really good job with the canopy seals? Or is it just that I'm used to airplanes older than I am? :dunno:

On the planes I fly, the biggest noise factors are the big leaks. The Aztec's door needs sealed something awful. That should get done before winter hits...

That should take 30 minutes and $12:

1265087560-34744_full.jpg

+1. The DA40 is amazingly quiet, but I didn't even notice until someone else pointed it out and I took my headset off.

The fact that an airplane that's practically all glass can be so quiet should tell you that you don't need insulation to make an airplane quiet.

Speaking of which - Does anybody know why the DA40 is so quiet? Do composites not translate the vibrations as well as metal? Did Diamond do something to the engine mounts to avoid it in the first place? Is it the exhaust? Did they just do a really good job with the canopy seals? Or is it just that I'm used to airplanes older than I am? :dunno:
Maybe. I find the DA40 surprisingly noisy.

I'd agree with that. Most of the noise comes from the cabin vents, IMO. Even when you've got them closed, they seem to make a ton of noise. You want a quiet airplane, fly one of the Rotax powered LSA's and bring the power back to about 4500 or so RPM. Amazingly quiet, I found

getting rid of the engine usually helps eliminate a lot of noise.

So does that mean it's shiny aluminum that just always works or that it's an overpriced brandname owned by doofy hipsters?

It means that even if it's a POS, people that own them will ignore the problems, rename them as "features," and say it's the best thing ever invented and it could never be topped or exceeded until only that manufacturer comes out with a new model. :D

It depends - What Joel said is correct. If the cabin vents are open, it is very noisy - Sounds like you're on a jet, there's so much air coming through them! If you close them (all four) completely, it's very quiet.

In either case, the engine noise is very low.

It means that even if it's a POS, people that own them will ignore the problems, rename them as "features," and say it's the best thing ever invented and it could never be topped or exceeded until only that manufacturer comes out with a new model. :D

Oh, it's not perfect - No airplane is. There are certainly some quirks, but the overall package is a really nice airplane.

But I'll start a new thread with the discussion of "Why" lest the OP here have to squawk 7500. ;)

Back