yet another C140A owner

Congrats, and that's a proper plane too!

Always liked the "piano keys" for the switches in the 140s.

But yeah
:needpics:

It's a sweet lookin' plane James. Check out the link to the pictures Jack put up in post #19 on this thread.
I'm envious!

It's a sweet lookin' plane James. Check out the link to the pictures Jack put up in post #19 on this thread.
I'm envious!

Hey, look--dual sunroofs!

Gorgeous plane! And none of that annoying polished aluminum to keep shiny.

@GeorgeC Congrats!! Hopefully I can make a trip out to Freeway over the next few weeks and come see your new 140!

Where was it ferried from?

I hope you're flying it today George! You'll love it! :) In my not so humble opinion 140's are the best flying planes I've ever flown, with Citabrias firmly in second. The control harmony is just unbelievable.

Stuff I had to buy:
  • zoro.com: contico 3725 tiedown box
  • case of oil from petroleumservicecompany.com
  • spruce: bogert towbar, spark plug socket, safety wire pliers, LPS 2, tempest antiseize
  • craftsman: stubby screwdrivers, various sockets and wrenches, 1" socket for oil filter, torque wrench
  • sportys: tiedown straps
  • chocks: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4OMD5V

Stuff I already had:
  • cleaning supplies (wash wax all, hd speed, collinite, aviation simple green)
  • microfiber cloths
  • shop rags
  • paper towels
  • nitrile gloves
  • ziploc bags for organizing stuff
  • plano marine box
  • travel chocks & tiedown ropes

Last edited:
It's the only explanation for the ease of our escape. They're tracking us!

(congrats!)

Spins pretty well for an almost 70 year old plane =D

Why waste your money on the other brand when you can have a George's Custom Cover at a fraction of the cost? Made from genuine artisan found coroplast, no two are alike; reserve yours today.

IMG_0201.JPG

Why waste your money on the other brand when you can have a George's Custom Cover at a fraction of the cost? Made from genuine artisan found coroplast, no two are alike; reserve yours today.

View attachment 61738

Those things need to have the N number stitched on them. THEN they will look custom. ;)

Panel/interior photos plz

There are just some planes with certain paint jobs that just pull at your heartstrings. This beauty is a perfect example of that.

Awesome George!
I love my little 140... These are great flying airplanes. We need to meet up in Taylor with the 140's and get lunch with jack one day soon.

Awesome George!
I love my little 140... These are great flying airplanes. We need to meet up in Taylor with the 140's and get lunch with jack one day soon.
George bought the plane from my friend Travis, who had it based in Taylor. He's based somewhere near D.C. now though, so I don't think he'll join us for lunch. You're welcome any time though!

On the 140 note, I love mine, but I'll be listing it for sale sometime this week. I was going to get some current pics of it this weekend, but didn't get around to it. It's time to get a plane that is more suited to my photo missions. I've bought and sold a lot of planes over the years, but this will be the first one I will be sad to see go. Love this plane!

We now offer locally-sourced pool noodle inlet covers.
IMG_0394.JPG

Luscombe guy here, but 140 are a nice copy! Just kidding. 140 is better built, but I like the way the Luscombe flys better.

Congrats! curious, why the 140?

The short version is I wanted an interesting all metal 2 seater. I was originally looking at LSA Luscombes and Ercoupes, but then BasicMed happened.

I've flown George's plane when it belonged to Travis and unless you need more than 2 seats, it's a great plane to own and fly. It's got the 0-200 and gets off the ground quickly. Not to mention it's a beauty. Maybe the most photographed 140 ever thanks to me!

Spruce has an assortment of 100 cotter pins for $5; another thing that everyone should have in their toolbox.

So, it's been about a year. Upgraded avionics and had my first annual.

Next on the list:
  • convert fuses to CBs
  • install Whelen wingtip LED nav/strobe, remove xenon strobe
  • maybe install http://www.cowllatchstc.com/
  • maybe remove venturis and vacuum AI/DG, depending on AV30 or similar suitable round replacement availability
Nice to have, but probably not this year:
  • now that the rigging has been improved, maybe remove aileron trim, if it does not require purchasing a new aileron
  • lightweight alternator

Life gave me lemons, so I made some lemonade and had the dip davis latches and the lightweight alternator installed.
83675da50f6f71efb.jpg

Back