Ya Think The Passengers Felt This?

K

KennyFlys

And, from Point Niner...

9_SwissButt.gif

It's been almost a year since that Swiss International Air Lines RJ100 landed hard on its rear end at London City Airport but investigators from the Air Accidents Investigation Branch have finally released their findings. It appears that a wind shift, combined with a below normal approach speed led to a sudden sink rate right before landing. In an attempt to stop the sink the pilot instinctively pitched the nose of the RJ up 9.3° which led to a tail strike before the main gear touched down. The violent tail strike cracked nine frames in the aft fuselage, damaged stringers, and obviously by the picture, extensively damaged the tail skin. "The aircraft was already in a low-energy state," says the AAIB. "Then the thrust was reduced and this reduction, and the loss of headwind component, both made the situation worse." London City is known for having one of the most difficult and steepest approaches due to its location and noise sensitivity issues which demands a "high degree of accuracy" especially when it comes to managing final approach speeds.
Oweee!!!​

looks like one of your landing Ken. just kidding
I wouldn't want to be on that plane, I'd have to ask the pilot if he got his ticket out of a Crackerjacks Box
Dave G

And, from Point Niner...

9_SwissButt.gif

Oweee!!!​

The design team at BAE deserves a lot of credit - Kudos to them! Geez, not just the tail strike, but look how badly the gear was punished - imagine the stresses from those side loads...I'm just amazed the gear didn't collapse...

Trapper John

Back