Ya' gotta trust the pilot

Tristar

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tristar
Yikes!

Although I'm sure a couple of you have done the island landings. Whats the craziest one you can remember?

Attachments

• YoujustgottaTrustthePilot1.jpg
    YoujustgottaTrustthePilot1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 77
  • YoujustgottaTrustthePilot5.jpg
    YoujustgottaTrustthePilot5.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 93
  • YoujustgottaTrustthePilot2.jpg
    YoujustgottaTrustthePilot2.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 73
  • YoujustgottaTrustthePilot4.jpg
    YoujustgottaTrustthePilot4.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 76
  • YoujustgottaTrustthePilot3.jpg
    YoujustgottaTrustthePilot3.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 82
Yikes!

Although I'm sure a couple of you have done the island landings. Whats the craziest one you can remember?

96384716KGAYOw_th.jpg

X01 from a water view point. Water on three sides right up to the approach end but it was not hairy at all. My pax was more freaked than I.

As for being freaked out I was more concerned landing at Shenandoah with a slight crosswind in mountain wave turbulence than my landing at x01.

I was too busy to take a picture coming in over the water on short final on 18R at KNEW with 240' ceilings, and 3/4 mile vis....

Or maybe it was the CAT-III (trust the pilot) into the ground fog Zurich while riding in the back of a 767. Slow taxi to the gate that day.

I'll take just about any of these landings in the clear as less challenging.

I was too busy to take a picture coming in over the water on short final on 18R at KNEW with 240' ceilings, and 3/4 mile vis....

Or maybe it was the CAT-III (trust the pilot) into the ground fog Zurich while riding in the back of a 767. Slow taxi to the gate that day.

I'll take just about any of these landings in the clear as less challenging.

It's even more freakier when you can see whats around, Bill! I'm still wondering if I'm gonna get use to that feeling of coming in too short and one of my main wheels clipping the edge of the runway.:p

And when, oh when, are they gonna recertify the ILS at NEW?

And when, oh when, are they gonna recertify the ILS at NEW?

Probably when there is a horrible firey plane crash!! :vomit: We will get the tower back when there is a midair from the wind always being at 090 and left hand traffic for 36L and right hand traffic for 18R.:(

It's really scary sometimes! :eek:

Tris, excellent pics, the only one that truly scares me is the one with the rotorcraft.
It's kind of hard to tell from the view given but... might that qualify for a shortfield landing? :D

Beautiful Pics!

Night landing to a strobe light in a landing zone with 50 to 60 foot trees around; There was some other illumination, little bit of noise: it wasn't friendly <g>

Oops! In an Army HUEY!

Best,

Dave

Night landing to a strobe light in a landing zone with 50 to 60 foot trees around; There was some other illumination, little bit of noise: it wasn't friendly <g>

Oops! In an Army HUEY!

Best,

Dave
The bold sections gave ya away without the indication it was a Huey. :)

It's even more freakier when you can see whats around, Bill! I'm still wondering if I'm gonna get use to that feeling of coming in too short and one of my main wheels clipping the edge of the runway.:p

I've been in & out of there in a variety of conditions. Having the light bar materialize with nothing but gray in sight is an interesting experience. What I didn't talk about was the departure back out - got a departure clearance for 36L from tower (who couldn't see me, nor the landing Lear jet) as soon the jet had announced on the radio that he was clear of 18R. Lear made some comment about the approach being barely at mins. Flew over to Brazoria County for fuel & drop a pax off on the way home, got in just before that airport went to mins.

Some of those don't look much worse than 12N in New Jersey (Andover). We called it USS Andover since you could get wet from either end. When you are in the pattern, there is a hill (700'?) that blocks your view of the airport at times.

Attachments

• Andover.jpg
    Andover.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 41
Some of those don't look much worse than 12N in New Jersey (Andover). We called it USS Andover since you could get wet from either end.

This is TN98, Skyranch, 1/2 way between TYS and DKX in Knoxville, TN. This is where I did my aerobatics course and got my tailwheel endorsement in the Citabira.

Like Andover, you can get wet each end, and each end is shored up with rip rap. Don't want to hit that stuff. 2200ft of grass fun!!!

Attachments

• tn98.jpg
    tn98.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 17
  • tn982.jpg
    tn982.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 20
Yikes!

I'd put Catalina or Sedona on there, but those are still 3k foot+ long strips.

Nick can vouch that you can still fly 1/2way down Sedona and land with no problems. :)

Kelly Air Park in Colorado, after a a huge blizzard... 36 foot wide runway was plowed out by about 20 feet, with a foot or less clearance beneath each wingtip from the snow banks, with a 20 kts crosswind in a champ...

Back