Xpost from the red board- no body farm near airport due to buzzards

Yeah the one at Univeristy of Tenessee is very well known and very prestegious.

Holy crap. Odd...

Kind of sad when you begin to wonder where they get the bodies...

Not sad - the bodies are donated to science. They don't just use unclaimed bodies.

I do wonder if those that donated their bodies to science envisioned their body being tossed on the dirt to have people come by and write down how much it's decomposed every other day.

I do wonder if those that donated their bodies to science envisioned their body being tossed on the dirt to have people come by and write down how much it's decomposed every other day.
As opposed to slowly being carved into small bits by green med students?

Acatually I think those at the Body farm donated thier bodies for just that purpose.

Today is Mother's day and I cannot help but think about my mom today. She passed away just 10 weeks ago so this is the first one without having someone to call today. When it came to her burial she had some pretty strong feelings. She did not want to be int eh ground where, in her word "the bug would eat her", nor did she want cremation. She did not want anyone cutting on her so she is in a crypt 8 feet above ground. But it really kills me because I KNOW what is happening in there. I would have preferred cremation but this is what she wanted. Some people want to have their bodies cut up to help people or to even rot on the ground. It is, after all, about what they wanted.

Today is Mother's day and I cannot help but think about my mom today. She passed away just 10 weeks ago so this is the first one without having someone to call today. When it came to her burial she had some pretty strong feelings. She did not want to be int eh ground where, in her word "the bug would eat her", nor did she want cremation. She did not want anyone cutting on her so she is in a crypt 8 feet above ground. But it really kills me because I KNOW what is happening in there. I would have preferred cremation but this is what she wanted. Some people want to have their bodies cut up to help people or to even rot on the ground. It is, after all, about what they wanted.

Scott, I had a conversation along these lines with the funeral director at my fathers funeral in 2001. She told me that with modern embalming techniques, and the quality of sealed caskets and crypts required by most state laws these days, most loved ones could be exhumed years later and look as if they were buried the day before. A good friend, who worked homicide for 15 years, told me the same thing. He witnessed several exhumations over the years, and he was always amazed at the state of the body. He said more often than not, they looked remarkably well preserved.

It's a morbid topic I know, but I could not help but think about it at dad's funeral. I prefer that I be cremated. It's not really the thought of being buried that bothers me, but I just can't imagine why my body would need to be preserved for enternity buried or sealed away in a crypt. To me it's a waste of good space. Not to mention how expensive it is for family members for a burial these days! My family can do what they please with the ashes afterward. I'd be fine with spreading me from a plane over one of my favorite places, or burying the box of ashes in the family plot of they must have a place to come visit after I'm gone.

Maybe at Gaston's I'll tell you what I did when I was a student in college. Remind me when you see me, but not if you're prone to nausea!

Back