XM Weather Antenna & Sirius

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
If I put an installed XM Weather system in my plane, can I use that antenna for a Sirius radio receiver? The XM website says their antenna will support up to 8 receivers. Since I prefer Sirius radio, I'd like to have the installer put an antenna connector on the panel into which I could plug a portable Sirius receiver. Both systems' satellites use the S band. This site gives the exact frequencies:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/satradiofreq.html
Based on the many posts regarding the HF antenna issue, I'd say there's a bunch of antenna experts on this board. What say you?

Lance F said:
If I put an installed XM Weather system in my plane, can I use that antenna for a Sirius radio receiver? The XM website says their antenna will support up to 8 receivers. Since I prefer Sirius radio, I'd like to have the installer put an antenna connector on the panel into which I could plug a portable Sirius receiver. Both systems' satellites use the S band. This site gives the exact frequencies:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/satradiofreq.html
Based on the many posts regarding the HF antenna issue, I'd say there's a bunch of antenna experts on this board. What say you?

I wouldn't count on it.

They're both in S band, but the antennas are active (meaning, they may be tuned to specific frequencies). Given that the older antennas had separate terrrestrial and satellite outputs, they may not be cross-compatible.

I use XM in the plane (wx and audio), so I can't tell for sure.

It may be worth a call to the Sirius support folks to find out. Or borrow an XM antenna from somebody and try it :)

Lance F said:
Since I prefer Sirius radio...
Without a doubt the best money I've spent on my cars in years. Here's to the death of FM, Clear Channel Communications, and the shock jocks of morning radio! Long live NPR Talk, the blues channel, and The Bridge.

Make sure if you use the 'car' antenna that you keep it away from your compass. Ask me how I know this... ;)

RobertGerace said:
Make sure if you use the 'car' antenna that you keep it away from your compass. Ask me how I know this... ;)

Or just remove the magnets. It's pretty easy to remove them.

gibbons said:
Without a doubt the best money I've spent on my cars in years. Here's to the death of FM, Clear Channel Communications, and the shock jocks of morning radio! Long live NPR Talk, the blues channel, and The Bridge.

That, and podcasts. I hope we give the Clear Channels, MPAAs, RIAAs and Sonys of the world agita by not listening to ANY of the market they think they've sewn up.

Look for new federal legislation to outlaw listening to alternative sources. :rolleyes:

Back