XGPS160 GPS Receiver & iPad 2 iOS 7.0.3 Bluetooth Drops connection, requires reboot

JazJon

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JazJon
Hey all,

We are using the External XGPS160 Bluetooth GPS Receiver & iPAD 2 on iOS 7.0.3

ForeFlight is on the latest version as of today. XGPS160 is on the latest firmware as of today

While flying, ForeFlight (and other apps) will regularly lose the connection to the external XGPS160 and will suddenly be on the less accurate internal iPad GPS.

The fix is to reboot the iPad and power cycle the XGPS160. This frustrating while I'm trying to CoPilot etc.

Is this a known issue even on the new iOS 7? (I know iOS 6 had other issues)

I see that iOS 7.0.4 is out. Do you know if this improves stability at all? We're not comfortable trying yet a new iOS version until someone confirms it doesn't make things worse.(and or improves things)

What is this most likely going to fix things for good in the near future?

-Another XGPS160 firmware?

-iOS 7.0.4 or newer

-Another ForeFlight App Update?

:dunno:

Thanks!

I went through something like this with my XGPS150 when iOS came out. Think it was a firmware update on the GPS that fixed it.

Re: XGPS160 GPS Receiver & iPad 2 iOS 7.0.3 Bluetooth Drops connection, requires reb

Hey all,

We are using the External XGPS160 Bluetooth GPS Receiver & iPAD 2 on iOS 7.0.3

ForeFlight is on the latest version as of today. XGPS160 is on the latest firmware as of today

While flying, ForeFlight (and other apps) will regularly lose the connection to the external XGPS160 and will suddenly be on the less accurate internal iPad GPS.

The fix is to reboot the iPad and power cycle the XGPS160. This frustrating while I'm trying to CoPilot etc.

Is this a known issue even on the new iOS 7? (I know iOS 6 had other issues)

I see that iOS 7.0.4 is out. Do you know if this improves stability at all? We're not comfortable trying yet a new iOS version until someone confirms it doesn't make things worse.(and or improves things)

What is this most likely going to fix things for good in the near future?

-Another XGPS160 firmware?

-iOS 7.0.4 or newer

-Another ForeFlight App Update?

:dunno:

Thanks!
The latest FF and XGPS160 talk to each other directly, don't use IOS location services. Check the settings drop down on the map page to see if FF is connected to the XGPS.
Bluetooth/Location Services is not the iPad's strong point.

Re: XGPS160 GPS Receiver & iPad 2 iOS 7.0.3 Bluetooth Drops connection, requires reb

With the DUAL ON and paired, if you open ForeFlight and tap on More > Devices > DUAL, does it show Direct Connect ON? If not, try switching it ON.

If it is ON and you're still having those issues, I suggest you contact ForeFlight at team@foreflight.com with details of what you're seeing.

Back