Xenforo Admin advice from PoA vets (or others)?

Jim_R

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jim
A relatively small online community I belong to is transitioning their user forums to Xenforo. I may end up being involved in some of the admin / moderation of that new community.

Would any of the PoA site gurus (or anyone else here familiar with Xenforo admin) be willing to chat with me (either via this thread or some other means) re: lessons learned from administering this site (or other sites)?

I'm thinking about stuff like "do this to avoid getting a bunch of spambots registering" or "check this doohicky regularly for error messages" or "every forum site should have this, that, and the other add-in installed, and you might also want to consider these others, too", etc. kinda stuff. Stuff that could help a n00b climb the learning curve a little faster and avoid re-learning painful lessons that are commonly understood among veteran Xenforo admins.

Pointing me in the direction of "read all this stuff and you'll learn everything you need to know" would be helpful, too. (I'm already working my way through the Xenforo docs and am aware of the Xenforo community forums.)

I know you guys probably already spend as much time as you're willing to to keep this site going, and may not have or want to spare the extra bandwidth to help a n00b, so no worries if this is too much of an ask.

there's plenty of online help, xenforo admin forums etc.... it's where I go when I have a suggestion for the site to see if it's possible and also how to do it so I don't just dump the idea on PoA's admins and hope they figure it out.

Thanks. Like I said, I'm working my way through the docs and am also aware of the Xenforo forums.

In my brief exposure, I thought it was straightforward and easy to grok. The layers of permissions management was a bit much, but I see why they do it. It's just a big dumb PHP app at the end of the day, so help and hackability are everywhere for the finding.

Okay, thanks. I'll just work my way through the docs, then.

Feel free to PM me. This is the third XF site I've been involved with.

Yeah, it’s pretty straightforward software and they’ve made it relatively simple to dork with stuff for people who are less than savvy with advanced technical skills like myself. I second the suggestion to PM Ron if you need help!

Never been involved in Xenforo but if it is yet another dumb PHP app, stay on top of all security updates. That may explain why PoA reboots on the daily.

there's plenty of online help, xenforo admin forums etc.... it's where I go when I have a suggestion for the site to see if it's possible and also how to do it so I don't just dump the idea on PoA's admins and hope they figure it out.
Yeah! Go away kid, ya bother me.

(Jim, If I knew anything, I'd be happy to help you, even if there are other resources).

Yeah! Go away kid, ya bother me.

(Jim, If I knew anything, I'd be happy to help you, even if there are other resources).

:D
It's okay. Sometimes my first answer to folks at work who ask dumb questions is to RTFM, too.

to be clear, I pointed out the xenforo-specific online forums which are extremely helpful, and was a valid and accurate response. pretty much everyone else said RTFM. which is also a valid and accurate response. again, given that I am not a xenforo admin, the few 'how to' questions I had were easily answered on the forums, which is the only helpful bit of info I was able to offer here.

I understand. But I also did say I was already RTFM and aware of the Xenforo-specific forums in my original post, so that didn't really add anything. I still thanked you, though.

In my brief exposure, I thought it was straightforward and easy to grok. The layers of permissions management was a bit much, but I see why they do it. It's just a big dumb PHP app at the end of the day, so help and hackability are everywhere for the finding.
So lose the briefs and fully expose :rofl::goofy:

Back