Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
Wednesday, October 15, 2008

“Narco Avionics and XCOM Avionics, Manufacturing Partnership Agreement”

Fort Washington, Pennsylvania – USA

Mr. Michael Coates, CEO and President of XCOM Avionics and Mr. Alan Hanks, CEO and President of Narco Avionics, Inc. have announced their October 9, 2008 signing of a “Joint Manufacturing Agreement”, whereby Narco Avionics, Inc. will “Manufacture”, “Inventory”, “Service” and “Support”, the XCOM Avionics, XCOM VHF 2 ¼” COM Transceiver.

All manufacturing and support operations will be conducted from the Narco Avionics, Inc. Fort Washington, Pennsylvania Manufacturing Plant by regular Narco Avionics Employees and will be supported by XCOM Avionics a well known Australian Company, Engineering and Technical Support Personnel.

Coates and Hanks have both expressed great enthusiasm for the new venture and acknowledged very positive feelings about future program expansion possibilities including several new product lines and ongoing product certification.

The XCOM Avionics, XCOM VHF 2 ¼” COM Transceiver, will be on display in the Narco Avionics, Inc. “Display Booth” at the 2008 AOPA Convention in San Jose, California November 6-8, 2008.

http://www.xcomavionics.com/

End.

I just put one of these radios in my RV-3. It is a great way to save space as it uses a 2 1/4" hole. All I did was take out a dead guage and slip this baby in and wire it up. Works great and includes a NICE VOX intercom.

Last edited:
Only problem is that NARCO is gonna make them....

id love to have one for the glider. maybe prices will come down since they wont have to ship them around the world

probably no cheaper than producing them in Australia...
and you dont have to pay for fuel to get them half way around the world.

Sure, everyone knows it is so much cheaper to produce things in the US.
It can be. For most electronic assemblies there is little to do by hand that cannot be automated. The labor market is getting tight overseas. In China, where just a few year ago we were paying around $300/mo for engineers with a 4 year degree we are now paying $20,000/year. Still below US prices ($50,000/yr for fresh outs). But add in the rising costs to ship product form half way around the world and the total cost to manufacturer starts to become the same.

And I JUST ordered one. I think from Australia. Narco? :vomit:

Sure, everyone knows it is so much cheaper to produce things in the US.

The lower cost of the US $ to the AU $ made the move possible. Heading into a recession is even better for the deal.

Last edited:
And I JUST ordered one. I think from Australia. Narco? :vomit:

You will love it, or I'll buy it! Narco is just making, and servicing it. The design, software, features, and function is still XCOM all the way. I love mine!

Narco was looking for a design change and a way to get into the digital "round radio" market, but didn't want to re-invent the wheel to get there. XCOM needed higher production rates due to the phenomenal success the radio has had to date. Nearly 2,000 radios in the field!

I think it is good to see manufacturing coming BACK to the USA! Give them a look!

Last edited:
I would love to see this as the beginning of a resurgence in Narco's relevance. They have built a long lone of excellent products, and could (hypothetically) be persuaded to improve their customer service policies.

I would love to see this as the beginning of a resurgence in Narco's relevance. A VERY LONG TIME AGO They built a long lone of excellent products, and could (hypothetically) be persuaded to improve their customer service policies.

There, fixed that for you.

There, fixed that for you.

Meh.

My 12D is a solid performer, and their new line of transponders are reportedly sound devices.

The radio market is tough with lots of competition. Staying is business means you have to make tough business decisions, and some decisions are not good for customers with old equipment. I think some of the problem is they quit servicing the old stuff. This has to happen when your company started making radios in the 40's. All of the long time manufacturers have had to do it. The same thing happened with Apollo, Garmin, Bendix King, ect. There comes a time when the old stuff just can no longer be repaired economically and I assume this is what has caused the grief. I don't like it any better than the next guy, but it is predictable. Try getting parts for my 49 Dodge!

Narco is now looking to upgrade their product line to produce 21st century digital radios & transponsders for certified and experimental aircraft as well. This is good!

Guys, Narco is an American company trying new things. Lets not "throw the baby out with the bath water" just yet. Currently, the XCOM radio is the smallest, lightest, and best radio on the market. Service is good, production is slow. Narco can make good radios. I'm confident XCOM will be on top of the NARCO production and service to ensure it is top shelf product line with excellent customer service.

I guess when I commit my hard earned money to a product and it turns out to be a great decision I support that company. I have no experience with Narco, and I certainly don't want to start a war with those who have had bad experiences, but I think the merging of the two companies deserves a fresh look, especially when they employ American workers.

JMHO

Last edited:
Hmmm. I've never heard of XCOM radios before. Do they just make a COM not a NAV? Anyone have experience with them?

Hmmm. I've never heard of XCOM radios before. Do they just make a COM not a NAV? Anyone have experience with them?

Just a COM radio so far. Mostly experimental / glider market (2,000 units sold, light weight & low battery consumption), but they can be used non IFR in certified aircraft. Take out a dead guage and slip it in the panel. They are going mainstream it looks like, to get TSO'ed so a larger market. Hopefully, a round transponder is close behind.

Yes, I have one. Fantastic radio & VOX intercom, tons of cool features.

http://www.xcomavionics.com/

Last edited:
Geico. Thanks for the info. I need IFR certified stuff though. Hopefully they get that as it looks like a good unit.

Guess the cavemen don't like you, huh? :D

Geico. Thanks for the info. I need IFR certified stuff though. Hopefully they get that as it looks like a good unit.

Guess the cavemen don't like you, huh? :D

Yea, he is still bitter about his sit com being cancelled. :rofl:

IIRC, they also make a low cost HF radio (lots of territory in Aus, like 70% of the land mass that is HF only) that works well.

Guys, Narco is an American company trying new things.

:rofl: First time they've done that since the 60's! I think that just fixing their old broken stuff is the only thing that's kept them alive this long. I mean seriously, when was the last time anyone bought a NEW Narco radio? I always get a good laugh when I see them at trade shows hawking their Amazing MK 12D Technology! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

MK12DRCES.gif

Service is good, production is slow.

Oh, Narco can fix that problem. :(

I have no experience with Narco

And I hope, for your sake, that it stays that way.

Narco and XCOM. This may be a fight for which aviation related company has the WORST website. Holy crap. Both of them look as if they were designed around 1998.

Narco and XCOM. This may be a fight for which aviation related company has the WORST website. Holy crap. Both of them look as if they were designed around 1998.

Uhhhhh.... For Australia, technologically, 1998 here is like Futurama there.

Hey, I think the XCOM web site is great. You can find almost anything they want you to know about somewhere on their site. I am an XCOM user and since I've made such a commitment to it, I'm sticking with them unless there's another failure. The small custom panel in my Luscombe glovebox has been custom wired for the XCOM, Becker Transponder, aux plug (GPS) and plugs for portable radio/cd player. When everything is working, it's very good and has a great VOX intercom. They have had problems with software, wierd behavior and quality control, but hopefully that's all behind us. It is the smallest, lightest and most feature packed radio I was able to find (including NOAA WX). If Narco can get the bugs out of it and get it TSO'd it will be even better.

Back