XC, southwest to northwest

3 in the green

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
c170b
So, sometime later this year (late summer?) I wouldn't mind taking a week off and flying from home (SNA) to "home" near Seattle. Probably Auburn Muni (S50).

What route would you take? Would probably use a Deb or DA40, or even a 172 and even considering a 150 for the adventure. :eek:

Thinking I could leave at sunrise and be there mid afternoon? (for the Deb/DA40...obviously not the 150). I really don't know what to expect along the way, which is half the attraction.

I'm working on my instrument rating right now, so I *may* have it by then, although I doubt it. I know it could come in handy dealing with northwest weather (I grew up there) but as for stops along the way...any suggestions?

Last edited:
So, sometime later this year (late summer?) I wouldn't mind taking a week off and flying from home (SNA) to "home" near Seattle. Probably Auburn Muni (S50).

What route would you take? Would probably use a Deb or DA40, or even a 172 and even considering a 150 for the adventure. :eek:

Thinking I could leave at sunrise and be there mid afternoon? (for the Deb/DA40...obviously not the 150).

Gaah - Had a post all typed up and lost it due to that stupid token thing (Grrr) and using quick reply, which browsers don't re-fill for some reason. Doh! Well, here goes again.

First off, be prepared for a long day, even in the DA40... 6.5 to 7 hours in the air even without any significant headwind. But it'll be a great trip!

I really don't know what to expect along the way, which is half the attraction.

I'm working on my instrument rating right now, so I *may* have it by then, although I doubt it. I know it could come in handy dealing with northwest weather (I grew up there) but as for stops along the way...any suggestions?

I would say, plan on VFR even if you have the IR by then - Too much neat stuff to see outside!

I would plan on staying just on the western edge of the Sierras up through Chico-ish - If the winds aloft are westerly, that'll at least keep you out of the major mechanical turbulence. If you take the advisable safety steps, you could even use ridge lift to make the trip faster!

If you do swing out to the west a bit to do that, I would stop for fuel at KOVE, it's the cheapest in California right now and is a bit under halfway there. If you're paying a wet rate and don't care, disregard... Also, if you follow the Sierras like I suggested you'll have Mount Shasta and Crater lake passing underneath, and great views of Mt. Adams, Mt. Hood, and Mt. Rainier.

Consider stopping at Sunriver for dinner (grab free bikes at the airport and ride into town for many dining options). For the trip home, Harris Ranch (3O8) would be a great meal stop, presuming you like steak. ;)

If you decide you have more time and are OK with not making the whole trip in a day, be sure to go to McMinnville KMMV and go to the spectacular Evergreen Air and Space Museum.

If I were taking a fun trip of this length, I'd also plan two routes that are significantly separated in the middle - That way you get twice the sightseeing for your flying buck. :yes:

Great advice, thanks!

Really appreciate it. I do plan on Harris Ranch soon....I love steak.

Me? Beach route at 25'-250' all the way baby.... I've done it a couple of times, there's even beach side fuel stops all the way up, it's really the most beautiful way to make the trip and pretty safe as well so long as there isn't a big swell running.

Short answer: I-5.

Longer answer: The shortest VFR route with reasonable terrain, ample emergency landing areas, minimum of special-use airspace and generally favorable weather would be via KBFL direct to KRBL, then follow Interstate 5 until just south of Olympia WA, then skirt the Class B and military areas over to the east side and Auburn. Watch out for the semi-permanent TFR over Beale AFB, but squawking and talking with flight following makes it a non-issue.

Depending on range, our mood and pre-flight fluid intake, we might stop at Visalia, Placerville, Red Bluff or Redding (the folks at Shasta Air are very friendly), and/or Roseburg.

The whole trip can be done at 6,500', except 8,500 is preferable between Redding and Medford. There are some spectacular views of Castle Crags and Mt. Shasta in that area.

The wet, gray weather west of the Cascades, for which Oregon and Washington are notorious, is quite rare in late summer, and the I-5 route sees its most consistent good weather that time of year.

Following Highway 97 from just north of Mt. Shasta along the east side of the Cascades is pretty too, but the terrain is higher and much of it is densely forested. Afternoon convection over and east of the Cascades is more common in late summer. If you do go that way, Sunriver is indeed worth a stop.

The NorCal and Oregon coast can be spectacular if the fog is not present (and that's a big 'if' any time of year). When you can see the ground, there is precious little of it suitable to land on if the engine burps. The coastline also diverges far from your straight-line route, so many miles are added to your trip.

Back