XC Circuit recommendations?

Caramon13

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Romeo
Hi all,

I'm working on getting past that pesky 50 PIC XC requirement for Part 61 IFR. So far I'm about 3/4 of the way through it, but wanted to see if anyone had some especially scenic or challenging routes they use to rack up hours.

I'm based in KSRQ in FL. Usually I'll head south/southeast for some airports mid-state and back, but I'm kinda getting tired of doing that.

I know thunderstorms are a problem in the afternoon, so ideally would like a 2-3 hour round-trip circuit to give me time to get out early morning and back before they start boiling up. After a few of those I should be good to go.

Still have to do my XC IFR flight as well, any suggestions on that would also be great.

Thanks!

Get up early, fly to Everglades City (X01) do the airboat tour, stay the night, have dinner and a cold one at O'donoghue's. Get up early next morning, fly home. -This is a VFR fun-flight obviously.:)

Last edited:
Thanks Kenny! I've flown by X01 on my way to the Keys, but haven't been yet. Sounds like a good plan though.

Out of SRQ, there are so many choices,I like Everglades city,however I have gone north east several times,Flagler beach has a nice restaurant,you can always do Lakeland for a lunch stop,at Augustine,has cheap fuel.not much to look at northeast but good lunch stops.

Get the heck out of florida and fly over some terrain different from a flat swamp. Maybe the smokey mountains would be a nice change of scenery.

Fly across the country, fly into Canada, plenty of stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I flew to Savannah, GA two weeks ago for my anniversary, that was fun. Weather being as it is these days I can't take a chance on that again being only a VFR pilot and having to deal with crappy afternoon weather. Once the winter comes around, definitely (by then I hope I'll have my IFR).

Yeah, I thinking X01 or KCDK. I like the short landing challenges and grass fields as well (though at this time of year the grass is more swamp then solid). Might hit the east coast as well, Vero Beach, up to Daytona, Brooksville and back..we'll see.

Back